iPod nano

Hmmm. Gotta get me one of these. Very stylish. I presume it is hard disk based. Is it?

Edit: I finally learned to read and it states "2 to 4GB flash drive". This thing looks sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why?

Ipods never impressed me, they always seemed pretty inferior actually.

The only nice thing IMO was the outlook synch function.

Apple designs a multibutton mouse "Wow this is new"
Apple makes a flash based MP3 plaer "Wow how innovative"

Um. ok

wow im very impressed. just when sony came up with a very tempting flash based player, apple strikes back with a 4 gig beauty and a stellar price.

Okay, but still the same two deficiencies as with all other iPods:
No Radio. Radio is 50% of my portable sound time, at least.
Non replaceable, non standard battery.

Sxotty said:
Why?

Um. ok

Inferior how?
I agree with the mouse, but the thing about the iPods are they do just about everything very well and have few deficiencies. I don't mind not having the radio (I'd like portable satellite radio at a decent price), and the non standard battery does not bother me either. If you are worried about that, pay $40 and they'll replace it within 4 years. I am not much into rechargable AA/AAA's. Too much hassle.

Don't care about radio. Not unless it's digital. Analog shit-radio can go to hell IMO, if at least tuners supported DSL (*edit: DSL? Don't I mean RDS? *thumps forehead* :LOL:) it wouldn't be as bad, but absolutely NO portable radios do despite it's been out for fifteen years plus dammit.

Better to be rid of that crap.

Non-replaceable battery is hardly any concern, there's no standard batteries in cell phones either and nobody bitches about that. Fact is, hardly any flash players have standard-size batteries in them, and the few that do are almost always very large in comparison and low capacity, and have an el-cheapo look to them.

*edit (a bit more): This ipod looks BOSS. But it's still a bit too big to have hainging around the neck... Not something you bring to the gym then... Meh!

Guden Oden said:
Non-replaceable battery is hardly any concern, there's no standard batteries in cell phones either and nobody bitches about that. Fact is, hardly any flash players have standard-size batteries in them, and the few that do are almost always very large in comparison and low capacity, and have an el-cheapo look to them.

Yeah, but at least you can just go to the store and purchase a replacement, unlike with the iPod which needs to go in for service. I don't know of any other MP3 players that have a sealed in battery. Many even take standard AA or AAA batteries.

Sxotty said:
Why?

Um. ok

Actually, AFAIK, I-POD is the only one that uses a superior compression algorithm (Mpeg4-AAC) instead of the aging mp3. You can compress your songs at 128 kbit/s and still get the same quality which an 160/192 kbit/s mp3 can give to you (which is pretty much transparent quality). This means you can store more songs without sacrificing the quality.

Although, it is not very interesting to most of us, their interface is the easiest one to use. I have seen an olympus model and another I-river one, and I can say that Ipod's interface is a much better one compared to those..

wireframe said:
at least you can just go to the store and purchase a replacement, unlike with the iPod which needs to go in for service.
Where do you get replacement batteries for flash players in general, I'd really like to know. Vast majority I've looked at have internal batteries that can't be replaced by the owner - short of getting a set of jeweller's screwdrivers and voiding the warranty, if there's still any left. And once the outside cover's been breached, there's undoubtedly a completely non-standard Li-ion or NiMH cell sitting inside it, possibly soldered to the inner workings.

Could you point out a couple popular flash players with AA batteries in 'em? I don't know of a single one from any of the brand name manufacturers - I'm sure they're THERE, but it's not really any of the (forgive the expression) flashier models. Nor smaller either, as an AA battery is absolutely HUGE in comparison. There are entire players with display and all that occupy a smaller volume than that...

Squeak said:
Okay, but still the same two deficiencies as with all other iPods:
No Radio. Radio is 50% of my portable sound time, at least.
Non replaceable, non standard battery.
If something were to have radio, it'd have to be digital radio now for me.

silhouette said:
Actually, AFAIK, I-POD is the only one that uses a superior compression algorithm (Mpeg4-AAC) instead of the aging mp3. You can compress your songs at 128 kbit/s and still get the same quality which an 160/192 kbit/s mp3 can give to you (which is pretty much transparent quality). This means you can store more songs without sacrificing the quality.

Well, many players support WMA and OGG which also offer higher quality than MP3 so claiming AAC support as a plus point is neither here nor there, IMHO.

This new iPod is very dinky though, isn't it?

Guden, my Creative Micro MuVo N200 (bit of a mouthful!) takes a AAA battery and is very small - about the size of those cheapo disposable cigarette lighters. It has good sound quality and excellent battery life of around 12 hours+ with my high capacity NiMH batteries. The small screen isn't brilliant but I tend to leave it on random play anyway so this isn't much of a problem for me.

Don't have a use for it: I never listen to music outdoors (except live music, that is). And I'll never buy something just because it's "cool" to have one.

Crisidelm said:
And I'll never buy something just because it's "cool" to have one.
Bah! How boring. :)

I really like the way this ipod looks, but I don't think I'd get one even if I had the money to spend (saving for x360 at the moment).

And mariner, I never said battery-powered players don't exist - just that they're not very common. 12H life isn't really that great, my now 3 years old minidisc player has much longer battery life with a single high capacity AA, and Sony's new flash player lives 50 hours on its internal cell (or so they claim anyway).

Those numbers are, as always, only valid for specific cases like 64 Kbit and rather low volume. Cut that at least in half for 256 Kbit played loud.

Guden Oden said:
And mariner, I never said battery-powered players don't exist - just that they're not very common. 12H life isn't really that great, my now 3 years old minidisc player has much longer battery life with a single high capacity AA, and Sony's new flash player lives 50 hours on its internal cell (or so they claim anyway).

Well I'd hope any AA player would outlast a AAA player - they do after all have 2-3 times the storage capacity. It's just handy for me that my player is so tiny that I can put it (and a spare battery if necessary) in my pocket and barely realise it is there - not something that can be said for Minidisc players!

I actually owned a Minidisc player for a short while the other year - is SonicStage still such a tragically bad piece of software to use? I understand the current Sony MP3 players still require the use of this dreadful software.

DAB has only become mainstream popular in the last year or so, and only in small parts of EU (I know scandinavia and UK has some adoption).
It would probably be too expensive to have to make many separate models just for relatively small markets.
I don't know if denmark has especially good coverage, but portable analog radio has never bothered me much, sure there is a little noise now and then, but not so much that it destroys the overall convenience of being able to listen to other stuff than what you have in your CD collection or have downloaded.

The fact that most rechargeable players have non replaceable batteries, doesn’t make it any less stupid.
At least Apple as the “spiritualâ€￾ leader in the market. should lead the way and show the others the right way to do it. How much can a battery compartment cost? It’s just two connectors and a cover FFS!

Guden Oden said:
Don't care about radio. Not unless it's digital. Analog shit-radio can go to hell IMO, if at least tuners supported DSL (*edit: DSL? Don't I mean RDS? *thumps forehead* :LOL:) it wouldn't be as bad, but absolutely NO portable radios do despite it's been out for fifteen years plus dammit.

Better to be rid of that crap.

What's the state of DAB in Sweden? IIRC in Finland the DAB pilot tests were recently axed after >5 years of no progress in popular demand.

I admit I haven't even tried DAB receivers (since I haven't seen them anywhere, except in a technology fair in late 90's.), but I don't see any need for them. I only listen to radio in car, where the quality does not matter much because of the background noise. And since they apparently use low-bitrate MP2, the quality isn't exactly what I'd expect to be enjoyable anyway. Actually, in car use, a little analog noise in signal would not be nearly as annoying as chirping and clipping due to bit errors.

For what do you need RDS in a portable device (non-automobile installable) except for seeing the name of the channel? At least here, the channels pimp themselves with annoying jingles in every possible occasion. I'd rather not have to even think of what channel I'm listening, as long as I like what is currently being broadcast.

Back