iPhone/Zune/iPod & More Prediction Thread

OK ... I ran some basic 2d fill rate test displaying simple alpha blended 32x32 quads (single batch + single texture atlas)
Compared to the old iPhone, I was able to display about 5 times more sprites.

This test is part of my small 2d demo and with the old one I was able to display 350 32x32 blended sprites ( in addition to some non-blended and UV animated background images) while maintaining around 30 fps.
With the new one I was able to push the number of quads to 1750.

What kind of filtering are using for that game? Would it too bold to ask if something like anisotropic is possible at reasonable performance on the GS?

For my game I was just using GL_LINEAR/GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST.
This is the kind of game that wouldn't benefit much from having GL_MAX_TEXTURE_MAX_ANISOTROPY_EXT enabled.
I know it works but I haven't had a chance to see what kind of performance hit it generates.

For my game I was just using GL_LINEAR/GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST.
This is the kind of game that wouldn't benefit much from having GL_MAX_TEXTURE_MAX_ANISOTROPY_EXT enabled.
I know it works but I haven't had a chance to see what kind of performance hit it generates.

Thanks for the results above in your former post.

If you have time and can look into the AF performance it would be cool to know.

"The PowerVR SGX is the graphics processor in Apple’s newest iPhones and is designed for OpenGL ES 2.0. The graphics driver for the PowerVR SGX also"

SGX in the new iPhone, cool!

I'm going to also toss in a wild guess that if Apple doesn't fully support the unified shaders of the SGX (what if vertex texture fetch is missing) ..

Indeed, it is missing :(

I see OS3.1 (beta) adds in additional OpenGl es2.0 extensions, so I wonder has this been addressed :-

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...s_3_1_beta_sdk_with_new_video_extensions.html

Dammit. One of the biggest reasons I want an iPhone is to develop my own software for it. But of course, Apple has to make that hard by only making the software available on OS/X ... sigh. Definitely not going to be buying a Mac anytime soon. :( And will have to get a PC of my own before I'll even attempt to install Leopard on that.

Dammit. One of the biggest reasons I want an iPhone is to develop my own software for it. But of course, Apple has to make that hard by only making the software available on OS/X ... sigh. Definitely not going to be buying a Mac anytime soon. :( And will have to get a PC of my own before I'll even attempt to install Leopard on that.

I have the equipment to develop apps, but I have yet to come up with a worthwhile idea!

CC

I have the equipment to develop apps, but I have yet to come up with a worthwhile idea!

CC

I was going to try and make some productivity apps for myself at work, but then I realized you had to pay $100 to become a developer if you actually wanted to test your app on the ipod/iphone. You can use the emulator free though. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

I was going to try and make some productivity apps for myself at work, but then I realized you had to pay $100 to become a developer if you actually wanted to test your app on the ipod/iphone. You can use the emulator free though. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Similar to how you write for XNA apps on Xbox, Zune & PC. All the developer tools are free. You can test or publish to Zune & PC for free, but to publish to the [strike]Community[/strike]Indies Games on Xbox Live requires paying a $99/year or $49/4 months Premium Creator's Club subscription.

Tommy McClain

iTablet 3Q (read: 4Q) 09 @ ~$400
an iphone os device,
multitouch
2x Cortex A9 MP
SGX5xx,
same camera as the iphone of the day
802.11g/BT2

Rumors have picked up about this in recent weeks.

But the speculated prices is as much as $800!

That would be unsubsidized.

Maybe at that kind of price, the specs would be raised?

CC

I'm an idea fountain. Just name a category you're interested in and I'll hit you up with tonnes of ideas! :) With a 14 month old kid (and I guess too much time wasted on playing games on the PS3) I just a) don't push myself to realise them and b) being on a somewhat tighter budget financially as well, I become a lot more critical about which idea I'm actually going to invest in (in this case, buying a freaking mac ;) AND getting an iPhone 3GS).

I was looking hopefully towards the HTC Hero, but it's hardware seems to be too slow. Android seems to be open enough for me though, I think that it might be my platform of choice eventually. Windows Mobile wasn't too bad either though with the Compact framework, in that I could the dynamic UI I made for our business to it in a day.

Beyond3D.app?

Actually, I heard that someone is working on "augmented reality apps" which will overlay map data over a live video feed using GPS and compass data. Cool idea.

Beyond3D.app?

Actually, I heard that someone is working on "augmented reality apps" which will overlay map data over a live video feed using GPS and compass data. Cool idea.

That was one of the ideas that I actually discussed on this forum earlier. I was thinking of making a 3d forum posts tree that sorts and filters new posts according to your interests. The forum RSS 2.0 feeds are actually already available here http://www.beyond3d.com/rss/feedslist and the iPhone wouldn't be a bad idea to try it on, considering its 3D capabilities and then using the touch screen for zooming and selecting branches of the tree for instance could be pretty cool.

That thing you mention by the way is something being developed by a Dutch company I think. I saw it somewhere a while ago. You can already try it out on Android I believe?

Back