Internet Explorer 9 beta out

You'd think Adobe would notice something like THE major online video site not getting a picture with their latest software version, and that they'd delay release to fix that issue before they annoy potentially millions of people, but nooooo... It's Adobe we're talking about here. They always go the extra mile to annoy people with bugs. ;)

It's more likely a bug at Youtubes or IE9's end rather than Adobes - the videos work fine when they're embedded at any other site despite the fact that the streamed video AND player are in fact from Youtube and not the site you're at.

Been switching between IE9 and FF4 Beta a lot more now.
So better than IE8 but agree with Silent_Budda, IE9 really needs a separate in another box to the right of the URL (like FF4 Beta).

Some sites don't work on FF4 Beta at times and other times they don't work with IE9.

It is definitely quicker and with a few more tweaks (that are unlikely to get implemented) it could be a lot better.

The youtube thing started a few days ago for me. You can usualy get a picture by trying different video sizes and encodings.
Could it be because of adblock? It was happening to me too, but after whitelisting youtube, videos started playing fine.

It's more likely a bug at Youtubes or IE9's end rather than Adobes - the videos work fine when they're embedded at any other site despite the fact that the streamed video AND player are in fact from Youtube and not the site you're at.

Seemsto be an ATI related issue (check the error details and you'll see that it's the ATI's driverscrashing IIRC). I just updated to the CAT10.10E and youtube works again. weird..

Seemsto be an ATI related issue (check the error details and you'll see that it's the ATI's driverscrashing IIRC). I just updated to the CAT10.10E and youtube works again. weird..

I've upgraded drivers (10.10d > 10.10e), no change, and nothing crashes, the video just isn't showing, audio works fine

It is definitely quicker and with a few more tweaks (that are unlikely to get implemented) it could be a lot better.
MS is still caught in their old mindset (we're the leader, wait for us!) where they want control of all users. They're making a wonky, onerous UI in IE so that after you get used to it and then use another browser your muscle memory will be off and you'll feel out of place and switch back to IE.

That's of course the main reason for the oddly laid out buttons and menus in IE7-8, and they're looking for continuing that trend further now.

Don't try using IE9 if you use Sharepoint.
Sharepoint interface becomes soooo slow, it feels like using Word for Windows 6.0 on 286 with 1MB RAM. Or slower :D
I had no idea SP uses IE as "rendering engine" and banged my hand to the wall for an hour when one of our managers came and asked to fix SP slowdowns.

MS is still caught in their old mindset (we're the leader, wait for us!) where they want control of all users. They're making a wonky, onerous UI in IE so that after you get used to it and then use another browser your muscle memory will be off and you'll feel out of place and switch back to IE.

That's of course the main reason for the oddly laid out buttons and menus in IE7-8, and they're looking for continuing that trend further now.

LoL, you say all that as if MS are the only ones doing it. Here's a hint, every single browser maker tries to make a distinctive UI. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. :)

Regards,
SB

I doubt it'd get serious consideration unless others are also as angry about the changes as I am (particularly with the removal of the search box). As well, I'm not sure where to submit it. :p

And then I'd have to tone down my displeasure a bit. I'm sure the UI designer wouldn't appreciate becing called an idiot with less than 20 IQ. :D

Regards,
SB

Has somebody given it a try on an atom based machine? The last time I looked at an atom based machine I was disappointed at the web browsing speed. HW rendering could make atom based netbooks actually usable, IMO.

i have an hp 311 that my gf uses. Its an atom 1.6ghz i believe with the ion chipset and 3 gigs of ram.

its okay on that system for simple web browsing , i wouldn't actually use it in day to day usage tho

i have an hp 311 that my gf uses. Its an atom 1.6ghz i believe with the ion chipset and 3 gigs of ram.

its okay on that system for simple web browsing , i wouldn't actually use it in day to day usage tho

Is the browsing experience noticeably better with IE9?

Back