Joshua's Late 2007 Upgrade Discussion

Josh, did they ship the GT yet? I know there is a really big deal about Dell being Dell about those cards. Mine never got shipped so I cancelled the order and instead went for the 8800 GTS deal that HardOCP had with BFG ($100 off BFG's $399 GTS, so $299). Yeah a bit expensive, but at $318 for 2 day shipping its wasn't bad.

Anyway, good luck with finding someone to purchase it and maybe if it hasn't arrived/been shipped you can cancel that order and save yourself a lot of hassle.

Skyring: Dell called me and asked if I wanted to cancel the order as it won't ship until the 26th. I decided to not cancel it because if I cannot afford it I have at least two different people interested in buying it. I also got pulled aside at work and told they saved my job, so I am still employed for now :D

That's great news Josh. I spoke with my co-worker and while he is in the market for an 8800 GT, he is not in the market for memory so he decided to pass on your offer. Although, if you were to consider splitting up the items he would be interested in the GT depending on price.

Acert,

I hate to say this bro, but in all honesty, if losing your job means you have to fire sale some PC parts for $300, you probably should sell them anyway, even if you seem to have gotten a temporary reprieve.

Glad to hear you aren't getting laid off, obviously. But I'd still make the sale and use that money for the 'next time it happens' emergency fund.

Then again, I'm on the fiscally conservative side which is why I'm using a 4 year old PC and still haven't purchased any next-gen consoles even though I technically have the money to do so.

Good luck, whether you take my advice or not!

Rancid, not really a fire sale as I would be selling them for the (good deals) I got them for. i.e. no loss to me. I bought the memory and GPU at very good prices (let me know if you find a 8800GT OC for $208) so it isn't a fire sale, but a, "Get my cash back and let someone else get the good deal" situation.

We budget very well and have no debt, the problem was if I was going to be laid off is it may have been permenant and the job market in the midwest is pretty poor and people tend not to hire people of my religion in the area which would have expedited a move cross country. We also have a baby due in the next couple weeks and with the impact on insurance due to layoff and everything all together I didn't feel justified dropping some cash on my PC... even though I actually do earn some nice side cash from work I do on my PC (which is aging). I can afford it... just not justify it. When I start doing more video editing again I am sure I will justify it :LOL:

That said, I am pretty (90%) sure I am just going to sell the stuff anyhow.

Fair enough, Acert.

Clearly I don't know your specific condition, I just jump a little when somebody thinks X is going to happen and that results in a sale, and then they get a reprieve from X and decide they don't need to sell.

I'm very glad to hear that you've got it all under control, and even more happy to hear about the little one on the way!

Congratulations!

I think B3D should make a celebratory banner for you!

Back