New system advice

Malo

Yak Mechanicum
Legend
Supporter
Along with a billion others, buying a new system at the end of July, so here's my obligatory "what do you recommend?" thread. I'm trying to decide which way to go, Nv or ATI. My wife has a 8800GTS in her new PC and I really like the capabilities, along with all the information I've read here and all the benchmarks, it's a solid card to go for.

However, I really think there is a lot of potential in the 2900XT in newer games, and possibly DX10. Yes it's still a bit early to tell but it's a good performer so far for the price range, and with some driver work could be a excellent choice.

Nvidia System

GIGABYTE Triton 180 Black 0.7 mm SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card
CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600
CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) TWIN2X2048-8500C5D
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
Seagate NL35 ST3500641NS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model SH-S183L
ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink

Newegg Link

ATI System

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
SAPPHIRE 100201SR Radeon HD 2900XT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP VIVO Video Card
ENERMAX INFINITI EIN720AWT ATX12V/ EPS12V 720W Power Supply
CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) TWIN2X2048-8500C5D

Newegg Link

I have picked the above hardware with the decision in mind to possibly go SLI/Crossfire in the future, once newer titles are released that I want higher performance with. Thus high end motherboards and bigger PSUs. I've tried to pick high quality solid performing PSUs rather than go pure wattage.

And of course I'd like to do some overclocking, hench the motherboard and RAM choices. The processor will be replaced with my CPU of choice once the new models are released July 22, most likely a 6750. The Zalman is not included on the ATI because of space restraints on the DQ6 and that the DQ6 is designed with standard topdown coolers in mind (like the default cooler with the Conroe).

edit: One thing I would like to know regarding the P35 chipsets. The dual PCIe X16 slots only allow for X16 and X4 configurations. If I eventually decide on another 2900XT, will it be crippled noticably because of the X4 slot?

Just been reading some articles on the P35 and Crossfire, seems it's quite a bottleneck compared to the 975X in several areas. Doesn't seem like there is much of a competitor on the Intel side against the 680i. Pity you can't run Crossfire on a 680.

Well the just released Sapphire 1Gb GDDR4 2900XT made the decision for me. Just ordered the system, minus the CPU which I will get at the end of the month. So it will be sitting there doing nothing for 3 weeks :(

Not that it helps you a whole lot, but I'm staying put until I get to see X38 in action (Intel's successor to the 975x chipset). I figure by the time they release it (late Q4/07, early Q1/08) I can get a quad core Penryn for nice-n-cheap.

Not that it helps you a whole lot, but I'm staying put until I get to see X38 in action (Intel's successor to the 975x chipset). I figure by the time they release it (late Q4/07, early Q1/08) I can get a quad core Penryn for nice-n-cheap.

Yeah I'm kinda sick of waiting, and wanted to replace my severely outdated PC for modern games. You can only delay so long before you actually have to purchase, and at least the P35 supports the Penryn.

Yeah I'm kinda sick of waiting, and wanted to replace my severely outdated PC for modern games. You can only delay so long before you actually have to purchase, and at least the P35 supports the Penryn.
Can't argue with that at all. And the P35 is a good chipset to be sure, and I'm wagering it will only perform better with some additional BIOS updates. I'm not even sure the X38 will truly outperform it (see: current 975 vs 965 chipsets) but I'm not in a huge hurry either.

My current rig will easily last me the rest of this year.

So I built my system last night and put in a temporary crappy Celeron 331D to get it going... turns on to 3 long beeps then 6 long beeps. argh! The nightmares of building your own PC. Does the same with or without video card or ram. Tried using some PC4200 I have here at work instead of the 8500C5D's. Tried no peripherals, 2x6pin and 1x8,1x6 on the 2900.

edit: nvm! P35's don't support celerons.. or anything with 533FSB's...

Last edited by a moderator:
psu's i recommend:
enermax infinity
pc p&c siliencer 750 quad (it's at a great price from pc power directly)
enermax galaxy DXX.

psu's i recommend:
enermax infinity
pc p&c siliencer 750 quad (it's at a great price from pc power directly)
enermax galaxy DXX.
The Corsair PSU is arguably better than these, especially when it comes to noise. On the other hand, that'll barely matter with the industrial turbine the 2900XT cards have for a cooler. IMO the Enermay Liberty PSUs have rather unpleasent noise characteristics.

Anyway, I'd get rid of the Dominator RAM, buy Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 instead and invest the €60 into a E6850 instead of the E6750. Setting the FSB to 400 MHz would be an overclock to 3.6 GHz of the E6850, so there's no need for more expensive RAM, unless you wan to push clock rate seriously beyond this.

The Raptors seem like a waste of money considering the performance of the newer 500GB drives. Why pay twice the money for 1/3 of the storage capacity to gain a miniscule performance increase, especially when one has to keep up with the noise these things make? I'd rather invest the $100 price difference into a better case, like the Antec P182.

Plus, I'd prefer a nice tower cooler like the Scythe Infinity to this Zalman air twirler.

PC Power and Cooling power supplies are not even close to top dog anymore, they've been left behind in the dust. Not a large enough company to keep up. There supplies are also far from silent... even the "silent" one.

Personally I'd rather go with a Corsair or a SeaSonic (SeaSonic makes the Corsair units), the Corsair preferable simply because its modular and has the better warranty.

I agree on the suggestion of replacing the Zalman, simply not the same level of performance plus it is louder. I might also suggest checking out the ThermalRight Ultra-120 or Tuniq Tower 120.

The suggestion for case is also a very good one. I personally love my P180B, the thick walls help an extreme amount on blocking the loudest portion of my computer: the hard drives.

Personally I'd rather go with a Corsair or a SeaSonic (SeaSonic makes the Corsair units), the Corsair preferable simply because its modular and has the better warranty.

I didn't see a particular model comparison so apologies if I missed that but Seasonic makes modular PSUs as well. Mine has a 3yr warranty. I do think, however, that the comparable Corsair is cheaper - wish I had known that earlier.

I didn't a particular model comparison so apologies if I missed that but Seasonic makes modular PSUs as well. Mine has a 3yr warranty. I do think, however, that the comparable Corsair is cheaper - wish I had known that earlier.

Hmm, maybe it was the first modular from SeaSonic was the Corsair units. I think I read it somewhere, oh well SeaSonic certainly makes great PSUs and in any branding I'd almost always recommend them.

edit: nvm! P35's don't support celerons.. or anything with 533FSB's...

wow, that's evil. no doubt it was intended. perhaps a BIOS mod would allow it to run a 533 FSB (but I doubt someone will be interested enough to do that kind of thing)

Nvidia System

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card
CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply
ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink

Newegg Link

This is similar to my machine (which I built 2 months ago). Same basic motherboard, CPU, PSU and RAM. FYI, I would go with Nvidia over ATI although I too was really hoping ATI would be my choice.

A couple thoughts:

1 - I found memory OCing is low-priority. If I purchased again, I would get standard Corsair 6400 and save some money.

2 - HD. Just my opinion, but the Raptor's are over hyped. Save money there. Get two of the Seagates (I have two of the perp 320GB drives). Also, skip RAID as it has very little real-world performance advantages.

3 - I love my CPU cooler: Thermalright Ultra 120. It installs like a champ on my eVGA 680i in an Antec P180 and I run 12c cooler then my friend's similar machine and I have a 536MHz OC (very moderate).

I didn't see a particular model comparison so apologies if I missed that but Seasonic makes modular PSUs as well. Mine has a 3yr warranty. I do think, however, that the comparable Corsair is cheaper - wish I had known that earlier.

The Seasonic M12 PSUs are modular, the older, still excellent, S12 PSUs are not. Also, the M12 PSUs have an additional 6cm I'd rather do without. I think I've read somewhere that the Corsair PSUs are essentially S12s with modular cables.

wow, that's evil. no doubt it was intended. perhaps a BIOS mod would allow it to run a 533 FSB (but I doubt someone will be interested enough to do that kind of thing)

Yeah I kinda doubt they're worried about people running a Celeron on a $250 motherboard :LOL: I assumed it was a limitation of the P35 chipset.

Windfire thanks for the comments but I already bought the ATI setup with everything pretty much what I posted but the 1Gb GDDR4 2900XT instead of the 512. I'm not sure a Thermright beast like that would fit on my DQ6 motherboard, or into my case :oops:

Back