Intel Loses Steam Thread

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by Raqia, Jan 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Top end of what?

2. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

I'm not sure if this belongs more here or some core Coffee Lake Refresh -thread, but there's definitely something very, very terribly wrong at Intel, this just shouldn't be possible.

Every official documentation, both public and those available to only select people, state that PL2 power setting on Coffee Lake Refresh CPUs is TDP*1.25 (which for 9900K would mean 118.75W)
    Except that it's not, it's 210W and Intel representative even confirmed it outright to AnandTech's Ian

Lightman and digitalwanderer like this.
  3. Theeoo

Newcomer

Weren't there some rumours recently of Intel contracting TSMC to produce their cpu's? I guess it could tie into this rumour.

4. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

I'm pretty sure it was quickly cleared to be a chipset (H310 I think) that they were thinking of moving, not cpu, but not sure if the move ever happened.
    Intel has produced before and may produce currently some chips at TSMC already (at least SoFIA was confirmed to be built by TSMC at some point)

5. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

Movidius chips are produced at TSMC. Also Altera. Were the rumors substantiated on more than TSMC naming Intel as their customer (which is obviously true anyway)?

Mid term future though(post 7 nm?), it may not be such a long shot to see TSMC manufacturing Intel CPUs

Kaotik likes this.
  6. Sxotty

Veteran

Because Intel sells chips. No one really pays them to fab despite them trying to sell. AMD was better than Intel in the past. It is not as though Intel is divinely appointed to be a performance leader. Sure they have had trouble but after years of talk it is just talk still. Eventually it will probably be more, but when?

7. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

<nvm, delete please : my short lived post was needlessly offtopic>

8. pharma

Veteran Regular

Intel hires Xbox Scorpio, and Scarlett SoC designer John Sell
    June 14, 2019
    https://hexus.net/tech/news/industr...xbox-scorpio-scarlett-soc-designer-john-sell/

egoless and Lightman like this.
  9. MfA

MfA
    Legend

I think you'd have to go 3D to really improve on just soldering on a thin bottomed water block or vapour chamber, water cool on both sides of the die.