Intel Loses Steam Thread

I'm not sure if this belongs more here or some core Coffee Lake Refresh -thread, but there's definitely something very, very terribly wrong at Intel, this just shouldn't be possible.

Every official documentation, both public and those available to only select people, state that PL2 power setting on Coffee Lake Refresh CPUs is TDP*1.25 (which for 9900K would mean 118.75W)
Except that it's not, it's 210W and Intel representative even confirmed it outright to AnandTech's Ian

Weren't there some rumours recently of Intel contracting TSMC to produce their cpu's? I guess it could tie into this rumour.

Weren't there some rumours recently of Intel contracting TSMC to produce their cpu's? I guess it could tie into this rumour.
I'm pretty sure it was quickly cleared to be a chipset (H310 I think) that they were thinking of moving, not cpu, but not sure if the move ever happened.
Intel has produced before and may produce currently some chips at TSMC already (at least SoFIA was confirmed to be built by TSMC at some point)

Movidius chips are produced at TSMC. Also Altera. Were the rumors substantiated on more than TSMC naming Intel as their customer (which is obviously true anyway)?

Mid term future though(post 7 nm?), it may not be such a long shot to see TSMC manufacturing Intel CPUs

Not sure why you tie this with performance of chips. Performance is heavily influenced by architecture too.

I think we will know if we see more delays. H1 2020 we were supposed to be consumer Cannonlake in significant volume?
If we do get that , than either Charlie was flat out wrong or he grossly overestimated some incremental (planned or not) changes to the process
Because Intel sells chips. No one really pays them to fab despite them trying to sell. AMD was better than Intel in the past. It is not as though Intel is divinely appointed to be a performance leader. Sure they have had trouble but after years of talk it is just talk still. Eventually it will probably be more, but when?

Intel hires Xbox Scorpio, and Scarlett SoC designer John Sell
June 14, 2019
Intel continues to attract ex-AMD talent, with the latest big name succumbing to the gravitational pull being John Sell. In case you haven't heard the name before, Sell, is an ex-AMD fellow and Apple architect who more recently (2005 - 2019) was the chief architect of the Xbox One, Scorpio and Scarlett SoCs for Microsoft. A Linked-In profile states that Sell is now already settled in at Intel, has become an Intel Fellow, and is responsible for "Security for Intel Architecture, Graphics, and Software".
https://hexus.net/tech/news/industr...xbox-scorpio-scarlett-soc-designer-john-sell/

What about 3D micro fluid channels for cooling ?:

Microfluidic cooling has existed for years; tiny microchannels etched into a metal block — to cool the SuperMUC supercomputer. Now, a new research paper on the topic has described a method of cooling modern FPGAs by etching cooling channels directly into the silicon itself. Previous systems, like Aquasar, still relied on a metal transfer plate between the coolant flow and the CPU itself.

I think you'd have to go 3D to really improve on just soldering on a thin bottomed water block or vapour chamber, water cool on both sides of the die.

Back