inFAMOUS Second Son [PS4]

Turret: "I have no idea what my velocity is."

I noticed a similar phenomenon in Halo Reach recently, I remember watching some parts of a camera-tracked warthog having motion blur and some parts not.

The lesson: motion tracking is a complex issue?

//====================

On a side note, this has been bugging me, what's with all the graininess? Are they adding noise to sample locations to squeeze more out of a small sample count?

Turret: "I have no idea what my velocity is."

I noticed a similar phenomenon in Halo Reach recently, I remember watching some parts of a camera-tracked warthog having motion blur and some parts not.

The lesson: motion tracking is a complex issue?

I feel like doing it the 100% correct way is not terribly difficult, just extremely costly and brute-forcey. So games choose simplifications and tradeoffs that can lead to these sorts of artifacts. I remember the U2's train level having a constant MB amout to the terrain even when you'd fall and have the camera stop following the train and focus on the groud.

^ Why this thread? Isn't MJP in Ready at Dawn?
Yeah, but it's about motion blur. The first version of AlNet's post suggested that the incorrect blurring might be due to reconstructing screen-space velocity from the depth buffer. This doesn't explain why the turret is blurred but not the APC, though, which is probably why AlNet's changed the post (actually deleted then reposted rather than edited, lol).

Chances are what's actually happening is that the game does calculate motion vectors according to object velocity, but for whatever reason the turret didn't inherit velocity from the APC even though it's being moved along with it.

edit: GGGAAAAHH STOP DOING THAT :D

Compared to Infamous 1, 2 and 2.5 that I finished recently, 2 things with the controls really annoy me in Infamous SS:

- I don't like L2 & R2 for aiming and shooting. Pressing the R2 analog trigger quickly and repeatedly is not ideal, when you press R2 you loose somehow some precision with the stick aiming, compared to R1. It was so much better with L1 & R1 on PS3. Also L2 & R2 to launch the grenades and big weapon would have been perfect, like it was perfect on PS3.

- When you turn the camera around Delsin, the start of the move is too slow, even at max speed in the options. On PS3 it was perfect, you could turn around quickly around Cole to find and shoot the ennemies.

Those 2 parts were perfect on PS3 on 3 Infamous games I really don't understand why they suddenly changed those settings to the less reactive and slower controls in SS.

But on the whole the game is still as fun as the PS3 games, it's just harder to aim and shoot ennemies than on PS3.

can you invert the shoulder button? so those on L1 will go to L2 and vise versa...

btw doesnt the L2 and R2 on PS4 are more trigger-like like xbox 360 instead of mushy rubber on PS3? i already accustomed to use triggers on x360 and when i shoot using L/R1 on PS3 feel weird. and shoot using L/R2 is even weirder, too mushy.

can you invert the shoulder button? so those on L1 will go to L2 and vise versa...

No, you can't.

btw doesnt the L2 and R2 on PS4 are more trigger-like like xbox 360 instead of mushy rubber on PS3? i already accustomed to use triggers on x360 and when i shoot using L/R1 on PS3 feel weird. and shoot using L/R2 is even weirder, too mushy.

They are even better than on X360 (and miles better than on DS3), and are even more trigger-like and feel more immediate. They are really great, the best triggers I have ever used, but R1 is still even better. Because they are still "triggers" and triggers are not really good if you want to press quickly and repeatedely: press, release, press, release,etc: doing that with R1 will always be better, quicker, with better controller stability for aiming etc.

But in fact, in the end it's was not anymore a problem because I used almost not anymore R2 repeatedely to take down the ennemies, I used others and betters way like L1 to stun and then one shoot with R2 or triangle, depends of the weapon and for big ennemies it's better anyway to use bigger weapons like R1.

On PS3 I was so good at aiming that I could take down almost all ennemies, at almost any distance, just by using the R1 regular weapon and madly turning the camera.

Who cares if they are more trigger like? It's a mechanical limitation of traditional gun design, buttons, like R1/L1 work better and more practical for shooting. It's not like a controller feels like a real gun anyway.

R2 L2 better be limited to modifiers, pressure sensitive or slow stuff.

Who cares if they are more trigger like? It's a mechanical limitation of traditional gun design, buttons, like R1/L1 work better and more practical for shooting. It's not like a controller feels like a real gun anyway.

R2 L2 better be limited to modifiers, pressure sensitive or slow stuff.
Are there any powers like that in Second Son that are mapped to L2/R2?

Infamous 1 and 2 (as far as I remember) don't have anything based on modifiers or pressure sensitive actions. The closest I can think of is Kinetic Pulse and that radio-controlled type of missile power, but that's about for either games.

I don't have a PS4 so I'm curious about that aspect myself. Everything I've heard about SS makes it seem like it's Inf 1.5 in terms of content and mission variety, but more refined from a graphical and technical standpoint.

I hope Infamous 4 improves on every aspect next go-around, just not a big fan of launch-period games imo. Launch games only interest me when they're bringing something new to the table.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished the story. Wow, good stuff and very meaty for $15. Lots of trophies left, I'll clear the city and see how hard the challenges are.

We need to have one batch of First Light pics:

infamousfirstlight_20fzo5i.jpg

14905861357_15a29d26f4_o.png

15092058052_fb02dc63fc_o.png

infamousfirstlight_20yskpk.jpg

be7inFAMOUSFirstLight20.jpg

eb2inFAMOUSFirstLight20.jpg

Man. Sucker Puch delivered such a phenomenal IQ.

First Light has arrived on PS+ Instant Game Collection, and daaaaaaaym! It looks and plays so great. Engine looks to be running much smoother [40+ fps] and in some [many] spots it's utterly beautiful. My pics taken directly from gameplay [not from Photo mode]:

tzcagl.jpg

jzqldu.jpg

rcrnop.jpg

ibdqdw.jpg

Sony needs to add option for taking HQ PNG pics.

Last edited:
Back