inFAMOUS Second Son [PS4]

This and MGS arriving on the same day... I think warframe may be taking a back seat for a while! Those screens look 'proper' nextgen\thisgen. I love the effort they've put in the small details like the city lights affecting the hue of the clouds! I'm really looking forward to some super powered parkour :LOL:

Makes you realise just how back of the bus other games graphics are.

Another one from Gaf.

ibjKeeGBjEGIt9.jpg

Wow, when they said they were holding stuff back, they weren't kidding. These screens look better than everything I've seen up to now. It is no doubt up there for best games I've seen, and it's open world!

^^ The imagine quality is downright gorgeous...

Edit: What type of AA is being used in Infamous? The best I seen on a console...

Holy sweet Jesus of Infamous :oops:, these directfeed shots are something else alright. The level of detail, shaders, lighting and particles taking into account of the vast scope, it's just unbelievable! The aa used here along with being 1080p creates a near perfect frame.

...and this is an open world game. Order1886 is gonna push things so much futher with its linear design. :D

I cant wait to see what will PS4 manage to output in 3-4 years.

I'm sure this has been covered but I seem to remember the past Infamous games running on the Unreal engine. If I'm not horribly wrong. Is that still the case? This game is so beautiful and has a very different look to a typical Unreal game.

I'm sure this has been covered but I seem to remember the past Infamous games running on the Unreal engine. If I'm not horribly wrong. Is that still the case? This game is so beautiful and has a very different look to a typical Unreal game.

Their engines are proprietary:

PlayStation Lifestyle said:
What game engines did you base Second Son on?

Sucker Punch has created their own proprietary engine. We’ve used it for all our games including this one. Although we’ve done a major upgrade to the visuals to take advantage of PS4​

One gaffer managed to get that info few hours ago https://twitter.com/artenvelope/status/444721420635881472

SMAA T2x with slight modifiations

Best news of the year for all the next gen games, at least Sony ones.

That is explaining everything we saw from those screenshots, the great image quality, the visible sub-details everywhere (textures, geometry) and the effective smart chrominance based AA.

And also the motion artifacts I have noticed really came from temporal AA!

Another NeoGaf screenshot with great image quality:

InFAMOUS-4.jpg

@Karamazov
AF or no AF for this one ?
AF seems rather good on my last screenshot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aaah nice one!
It's interesting to see how many proprietary engines exist on old and new consoles, even among first party developers. You'd think they'd try to minimise costs and share the same engine for the same type of game at least. But great to see the efforts being taken to differentiate themselves.

Thanks for the link....

Q: I noticed in a recent stream that the black levels were overly dark at night time and made the neon really stand out. How will daytime light affect this?

A: Well, when we moved to HDR and Physical Based Lighting… one of the benefits is having the world rendering look and feel like a cameras exposure. So, we just have to make sure that things look good in all time of days… but the system supports it fully.

Q: How many particles are rendered during the orbital drop? Cause it looks like a lot.

A: The rain alone was 25,000! I’m not sure exactly but it’s a LOT for that particular power!

Q: Which render feature in the game are you the most proud of, and what are some of the challenges related to developing that specific feature?

A: Personally I think it was our transition to physical based lighting. The most challenging part of moving to physical based lighting was establishing all of the rules of which an artist has to go by… and THEN figuring out how to break them artistically to get the exact look you want.

FYI: I see Delsin's shadow on all the posted pics on this page... :runaway: :LOL:

ryse uses smaa as well right? The implementation is simply stellar even at 900p. At 1080 it should be mindblowing when on your tv screen

This looks really nice but I'm unsure about the gameplay depth. Is it just about running around the city and smashing things up?

Back