Indirect Lighting/Shadows

Interesting... I can't for the life of me figure out how it works, though, the whole "imperfect shadow map" thing. I think I get the implementation of the shadow map itself, especially in creating the broad soft shadows indicative of area lights (but I'm assuming without the usual performance hit), but I don't see how it's affecting the indirect lighting. Unless... hm.. *gears grinding*... the location of the main light, and the diffuse illumination of the mesh, is used to color and position another "invisible" light source that's casting no light, but rather an imperfect "positive" shadow from the opposite direction.. generating illumination instead of shadows. Fascinating. I should try to implement that in my CGI work sometime.. would save a HUGE amount of rendering time, since I usually have to resort to full-bore radiosity to calculate indirect lighting.

Very nice! Also it seems it's from the same people who did the SSDO video (which is shown in this as well). Looks really nice together and it's just one more piece to the puzzle. I don't know when this will be in games but I hope it's soon.

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I was wondering if anyone around here can help me out...

I'm currently looking for white papers/articles/siggraph or GDC docs on lighting solutions used in some of the games around to date. Mainly in terms of how it was implemented, strengths and limitations, implementation constraints (including platform-specific constraints) & if possible, the implications towards the asset pipeline and how it was affect by it.
I've already found some on Media Molecule's lighting solutions as well as Halo 3's and Killzone 2's but I was hoping to get some info on any other games people here may have read about or possibly worked on..

Any help/info on this would be great!

Back