Indian researcher challenges Newton's law

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
Link

Indian researcher challenges Newton's law

PTI[ WEDNESDAY, JUNE 04, 2003 11:32:25 AM ]

KOLKATA: An Indian research technologist in Australia has challenged Newton's First Law of Motion and called for a revision of the classical theory in the light of modern technology.

An alumnus of the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, Arindam Banerjee, working for Telstra in Melbourne, has contended in his recently published book 'To The Stars!' that contrary to the hitherto accepted theory, an object can actually be moved without application of any external force.

"Central to my new theory is the proposal that our understanding of Newton's First Law of Motion should be revised," the 47-year-old research technologist said.

Using his unconventional theory, Banerjee has described in a technical paper, what he calls, a design for 'perpetual motion machines' which can generate energy without burning any kind of fossil fuel or any radioactive process.

The Internal Force Engine, which Banerjee has designed, never runs out of power because it is 'self charging' without the need for any external source of energy.

"It is a machine derived from energy internal to the body and can achieve unlimited kinetic energy within a short span of time, using much less energy obtained from external sources like a battery," he said.

The balance energy generated thus is free and could be produced indefinitely if a feedback loop is created in the system, Banerjee contended.

2 things:
--does it matter that the reasercher is indian. (shouldnt in my opinion)
--perpetual machines have been claimed and then debunked for hundreds of years. Eventually the flaw in his theory will be uncovered.

later,

As epicstruggle mentions, someone is always saying that they have come up with a perpetual motion devices, but strangely enough we've never seen one produced or demonstrated.

I was under the impression that most of these devices would rely on the Earth's gravitational pull to keep the wheel spinning/motion going - surely this gravitational pull would count as an external force?

I will say that all my knowledge about perpetual motion machines comes from an article I read in a magazine a few years ago so I'm not exactly up to date here!

I think it's bullshit... for now.
I will believe it once it has been proven by the scientific community.

deepak: my comment was not direct to you. I always hate seeing journalists bring up the race issue in scientific research/results. Why does it matter to anyone who did the research. if accurate they will stand on its merits. just my thoughts.

later,

epicstruggle said:
deepak: my comment was not direct to you. I always hate seeing journalists bring up the race issue in scientific research/results. Why does it matter to anyone who did the research. if accurate they will stand on its merits. just my thoughts.

later,

I concur. :)

epicstruggle said:

later,

The link is from an indian newpaper's site.....hence the title is like that!

thats was what I was commenting on. the fact that the journalist/newspaper felt it necessary to include the race of the scientist. I feel we should never have to talk about the race of a scientist. To me (as an Indian) I felt it was in poor taste.

later,

epicstruggle said:
thats was what I was commenting on. the fact that the journalist/newspaper felt it necessary to include the race of the scientist. I feel we should never have to talk about the race of a scientist. To me (as an Indian) I felt it was in poor taste.

later,

IMO I always wonder why the journalists do that? It is constantly being done. Why? I have no bloody clue. Maybe the journalists want people to know where the theory/findings/whatnot came from originally?

K.I.L.E.R said:
epicstruggle said:

later,

IMO I always wonder why the journalists do that? It is constantly being done. Why? I have no bloody clue. Maybe the journalists want people to know where the theory/findings/whatnot came from originally?
No, that's not it. Then it should have said "Researcher in Australia challenges Newton's law"

Newsflash: A whole day goes by when someone doesn't claim to have invented a perpetual energy machine / extracted zero-point energy / invented an anti-gravity machine!

That's the sort of news headline I'd be interested in!

epicstruggle said:

Not really, unless the machine was made of poppadoms and mango chutney. That would cast doubt upon its authenticity.

MuFu.

MuFu said:
Not really, unless the machine was made of poppadoms and mango chutney.

Although I have had curries which seemed to cause perpetual motion between myself and the lavatory...

indio said:
epicstruggle said:
2 things:
--perpetual machines have been claimed and then debunked for hundreds of years. Eventually the flaw in his theory will be uncovered.

later,

not true there is a perpetual machine that has benn patented

http://www.computerlayman.com/MEG Scalar Energy Device Patented - Production Starts Next Year1.htm

Sounds more like a perpetual energy machine with no moving parts... But that bit is a year old you'd think we'd have heard of it by now in the mainstream press....

indio said:
epicstruggle said:
2 things:

later,

not true there is a perpetual machine that has benn patented

http://www.computerlayman.com/MEG Scalar Energy Device Patented - Production Starts Next Year1.htm

There's also a faster than the speed of light vehicle that's been patented. The USPTO is "understaffed" (which apparently means "staffed by idiots"). They give out faulty patents from time to time.

Back