In The Future 1 Screen Will Show 2 Fullscreen Images

Farid

Artist formely known as Vysez
Veteran
Supporter
... At the same time.

Thanks to Sharp, the future is now:

Link to Betanews.com
Electronics maker Sharp on Thursday unveiled a new LCD screen that will allow it to display two different images depending on the angle it is viewed from. Production of the screen begins this month, and the new LCD could be used in applications such as automobiles where such a feature would be useful.

205.jpg

207.gif

206.gif

I would take Flying Cars over this any day, though.

Vysez said:
and the new LCD could be used in applications such as automobiles where such a feature would be useful.
Yes, I've often thought how handy it would be able to watch two TV programmes at once whilst driving (rather than just the one I have to make do with now).

This is obviously targeted towards teenagers. ;)

"Oh hey! I just came into your room without knocking the door to see what you were up to."

Diplo said:
Vysez said:
and the new LCD could be used in applications such as automobiles where such a feature would be useful.
Yes, I've often thought how handy it would be able to watch two TV programmes at once whilst driving (rather than just the one I have to make do with now).
You could display navigation information for the driver while the front seat passenger is watching a DVD, or playing a game...

I'd rather like to see affordable full-res autostereo displays, though.

Another step towards stereoscopic displays becoming the norm... :( for me, :) for everyone else.

Well it does have the benifit of giving you some privacy. After all, sitting in a plane or train you could see or watch whats in front of you but others to your side can't.

True, though I think displays like that are already available -- certainly the display on some of the ATMs I've used recently have a very narrow viewing angle, like there's some sort of collimator in front of them.

Silent_One said:
Well it does have the benifit of giving you some privacy. After all, sitting in a plane or train you could see or watch whats in front of you but others to your side can't.
Your hand fidgeting in your trousers might give away what you are really watching, though... ;)

Diplo said:
Silent_One said:
Your hand fidgeting in your trousers might give away what you are really watching, though... ;)
What if you can do it without touching your self ;)

Now this opens up for some really fun viruses.

From straight ahed you see the workspace you expect to see, without noticing that everybody else see sheep pr0n on your monitor.

I want 3d display rather than this. I'd even get a funky goggle system if I thought it would actually work right and had well supported drivers.

Back