I'm having a stroke of bad luck :(

For the past 2 weeks luck hasnt been on my side. Now luck isnt on my side very often but for the past time it seems like its been pretty much absent.

I'm searching for a room closer to my university and I found one appartment to share with 1 girl. She was German (no, that wasnt the bad luck part ;)), 27 years old (me = 22 so that was really fine by me), and she looked pretty cute. But I couldnt rent the room because I have to wait another 2 months for my current contract to end and she needed someone right away due to finances. Now she has some other girl as a roommate. That isnt usefull :( I wouldve been alot more fun ^^

My mini usb -> 3.5mm phone connector thingy also broke while I just had it for a couple of months and didnt do anything weird with it. Now I'll have to buy a new one for like 25 euro's.

I scored a 5 (out of 10, 5.5 being sufficient) for my economics examn while I actually did bother to go to some classes unlike some people who scored alot higher just because the exam existed out of test exam questions and anwsers and not from the video's and everything I watched during class. Ofcourse I did not bother with the mock exam. On the plus side I did score a 7 on my law exam with not even reading every chapter.... (just shows how multiple choice is more a matter of luck than actual knowledge, and than they call it university....)

I have the faint feeling that the tyre of my bike is about to go flat while I just got a totally new one like 2 months ago but that guy at the repair shop doesnt seem to be very good at his job.

My bankcard broke down. I can still pay with it but not check my account anymore just when I had to check if some guy gave me cash for a second hand game. Now I just decided to send it out hoping he did because I didnt want him to have to wait any longer.

Just 2 hours ago my htpc broke down. Apperantly its the gfx card which is a bitch because now I cant watch the sopranos anymore during dinner and dutch tv is total shit. Also I coulnt order a new one right away because my bankcard broke so I cant pay online. So I called my mum and let her order it (took almost 15 minutes, shopping cards are hard to fine it seems....) and I had to get the more expensive one (35 euro's) because they only had that one in stock and I had to wait 3 days for the 28 euro one which I dont want to as I use my htpc alot. And now im 45 euro's poorer after shipping cost (well, actually my mum is at the moment but she still owed me money so if I ever get that back it'll probably be less :(). Digi's donated x1600 couldnt be used as I lend it to a friend and the fan is screwed so you cant use it for anything else than backup anyway :( Hopefully they deliver the card when im at home because the freaking post office is like half a hour away.

I feel alot better right away :D

I have the faint feeling that the tyre of my bike is about to go flat while I just got a totally new one like 2 months ago but that guy at the repair shop doesnt seem to be very good at his job.

Have you tried the Slime tire sealant that's available? It works very well & saved me from having to repair many many punctures.

On the bright side your bike is dutch so a new one should only cost a few euro's

A dutch bike - and no its not from the 1940's this is a new one

Lol that guy probably payed more for those locks than he did for his bike.

Actually, getting a bike cheap these days in Holland doesnt really work anymore. Dont even bother going anywhere near where you have to pay money and paying junkies to steal your bike is getting expensive too. Not to mention it actually got alot harder to steal (or in case of the bigger city's maybe ''lend'' would be a better choice of words) one because in alot of places they started building underground parkinglots for your bike.

This is how Leiden, a city I used to live close to looked.
93550353_a6a901a890.jpg

Its actually bigger than the picture shows because not everything is on it and you also had a ton of bikes on the other side of the road. Also the other side of the station looked the same.

But now it looks like this (well actually they already finished it up closing)
620610377.409386-stortbetonvloer.jpg

So you cant just go out and take your pick anymore. Well, that said nobody actually will say anything to you if you get out on the street and start cutting a lock or just pick up a locked bike. I once walked home with my bike still locked because I lost the key and nobody even looked at me.

I never stole bike btw and mine also never got stolen. Maybe because I always have old ones.

On the plus side I did score a 7 on my law exam with not even reading every chapter.... (just shows how multiple choice is more a matter of luck than actual knowledge, and than they call it university....)

I dunno what kind of university you go to, but at mine you get 3 points for answering correctly and -1 points for answering incorrectly. Luck is pretty much eliminated (aspecially since they make the questions for these exams in a matter where you usually cannot tell what the correct answer is by looking at the alternatives)

Its first year and the courses last only 6 weeks so its only the basics. Common sense, basic knowledge and luck is all you need no matter how they ask the question. I mean, If I read only 3 chapters (not study, as the book is horrible to read because its writting in some kind of semi intellectuall way), read the summary of the other 3 and than score somewhere between 35 a 40 out of 50 questions correct than really it hasnt anything to do with what you know. And its not like they give you the choice out of 3 stupid and 1 good anwser either. Than again subjects like law you can atleast make some kind of educated guess unlike other subjects that really require you to know something in order to know the correct anwser.

My mini usb -> 3.5mm phone connector thingy also broke while I just had it for a couple of months and didnt do anything weird with it. Now I'll have to buy a new one for like 25 euro's.
or use a multimeter to find out the wiring of the adapter and solder one yourself for under €5

I scored a 5 (out of 10, 5.5 being sufficient) for my economics examn while I actually did bother to go to some classes unlike some people who scored alot higher just because the exam existed out of test exam questions and anwsers and not from the video's and everything I watched during class. Ofcourse I did not bother with the mock exam. On the plus side I did score a 7 on my law exam with not even reading every chapter.... (just shows how multiple choice is more a matter of luck than actual knowledge, and than they call it university....)
I lost a lot of respect for university degrees when I found out that people can pass by learning previous mock exams, guess slightly better than average, and from the average degree of many courses. Mind you this has nothing to do with luck as you can just learn the subject (why are you attending uni again?) and pass with flying colours.

serves you right for not repairing it yourself. Why would you pay someone to fix your friggin flat tire on a bicycle? Of course you should only trust yourself with easy stuff like that...

My bankcard broke down. I can still pay with it but not check my account anymore just when I had to check if some guy gave me cash for a second hand game. Now I just decided to send it out hoping he did because I didnt want him to have to wait any longer.
proper banks provide online-banking without requiring your card details. :D

Just 2 hours ago my htpc broke down. Apperantly its the gfx card which is a bitch because now I cant watch the sopranos anymore during dinner and dutch tv is total shit. Also I coulnt order a new one right away because my bankcard broke so I cant pay online. So I called my mum and let her order it (took almost 15 minutes, shopping cards are hard to fine it seems....) and I had to get the more expensive one (35 euro's) because they only had that one in stock and I had to wait 3 days for the 28 euro one which I dont want to as I use my htpc alot. And now im 45 euro's poorer after shipping cost (well, actually my mum is at the moment but she still owed me money so if I ever get that back it'll probably be less :(). Digi's donated x1600 couldnt be used as I lend it to a friend and the fan is screwed so you cant use it for anything else than backup anyway :( Hopefully they deliver the card when im at home because the freaking post office is like half a hour away.

ok, you just convinced me that we need a depression with a significant fall in living standards! this is unreal... for starters, you'll be amazed by what you learn about others by talking to them instead of watching tv over dinner (if you don't live alone that is)

edit: sorry bout this, Gen-Y sometimes _really_ gets on my nerves

Last edited by a moderator:
or use a multimeter to find out the wiring of the adapter and solder one yourself for under €5

Which I both dont have.

I lost a lot of respect for university degrees when I found out that people can pass by learning previous mock exams, guess slightly better than average, and from the average degree of many courses. Mind you this has nothing to do with luck as you can just learn the subject (why are you attending uni again?) and pass with flying colours.

Well besides that we dont have any mock or old exams, there isnt actually a way to take the easy way for my main courses as they are all language courses.

serves you right for not repairing it yourself. Why would you pay someone to fix your friggin flat tire on a bicycle? Of course you should only trust yourself with easy stuff like that...

I did fix it myself the time before. Than it fot flat again and also the outer tyre was all worn down so I got it fixed.

proper banks provide online-banking without requiring your card details

Actually they dont as a matter of safety. I need to insert my card in some kind of machine that generates a acces code. Actually one bank in my country uses a SMS based system and there have been multiple cases af fraud because of that.

ok, you just convinced me that we need a depression with a significant fall in living standards! this is unreal... for starters, you'll be amazed by what you learn about others by talking to them instead of watching tv over dinner (if you don't live alone that is)

As I'm a student I live alone. At home we always used to eat at the dinner table (except on sundays, which in my country is traditionally eat in front of the tv day because of football matches).

It's a lost cause, mini-jacks are broken by design ... they just have a short burn-in period during which they transmit signal.

Back