IGN.com interview with MS, j. Allard: Compression problems...

Kb-Smoker

Regular
Q: I've spoken to several developers and they're all telling me they're filling up their DVD pretty quickly, that the media isn't big enough. What's going to be done about that?

Allard: Well, we've got to do better on compression. We're not totally where we want to be with compression. Honestly, to be frank, stuff comes in hot. We're trying to do a worldwide launch of this very ambitious program, and developers will tell you that they're not very satisfied with the DVD emulator or compression. And therefore they are layouts with DVD, they're struggling with that; they're cutting corners. Basically what happens when you get final hardware late, you're sloppy. With all deference to the developers, you've got to take every out you can and so they're not applying all their talents, as they will next year and the year after to get every little bit they can out of it. They're being a little sloppy with the CPU, they're being a little sloppy with the discs, they're being a little sloppy with their formats and compression to make launch.....
Link

So i guess there is no question that the launch is being rushed. Also he said dev have gotten the hardware late, when was it supposed to go out?

Surprising and not surprising.

Kb-Smoker said:
Link

So i guess there is no question that the launch is being rushed. Also he said dev have gotten the hardware late, when was it supposed to go out?

Is such words as sloppy not an insult to developers? Many times he says sloppy. I am very surprised by his statements but I think he is also correct to an extent. Many PC developers not so experienced at developing efficient software for closed box console. Perhaps too much time constraint for such developers to become expert in new style of hardware no? Also, DVD capacity can be performance problem if 1 thread is dedicated to compression. Perhaps if somehow developer can implement 5th parallel thread for such tasks.

He's sounding an awful lot like he's trying to assign blame or apologise before the console even launches...

Right now if I was working on an X360 title the last thing I'd want to hear is the public face of the platform telling everyone that my game wasn't going to be very good because I was being sloppy - even if it was true :)

I mean it's not like any of this is new - launch titles for a platform are always developed under tight deadlines and without final hardware until the last minute. Titles always get better as developers get more experience. It's just not normal to highlight their shortcomings...

Yeah I have to say, Allard's been a little off his game lately. First he openly second-guesses the worldwide launch, now he's saying his third-party developers aren't performing up to spec. I mean, of course it's all true on a level - but why in the world would you as the head of the division be the one to point these things out?

I dont think he means to assign blame, if anything he is taking the blame for MS because final hardware came out late, therefore forcing the developers to not be able to fully optimize everything (sloppy) people just want to read whats not there. I don't take it as him blaming developers for it, just saying it like it is.. when you have a deadline and the hardware is late, obviously you're going to rush it and not fully optimize things to make that deadline.

Well, I don't know - not how I'm reading his words, but that could be. Either way though, you think it'd be better for him not to dwell on these things at all than to go into an analysis of this nature. He should be getting people excited, not making excuses (for himself or anyone).

That's just my business sense talking. I mean of course on a human level, I appreciate that he can be candid. It just seems like it's something to be candid about after the launch and not before.

Last edited by a moderator:
xbdestroya said:
Well, I don't know - not how I'm reading his words, but that could be. Either way though, you think it'd be better for him not to dwell on these things at all than to go into an analysis of this nature. He should be getting people excited, not making excuses (for himself or anyone).

In most interviews he has always tried to be quite honest about things, I rather hear stuff like this, than not the usual everything is wonderful, we are the best, ra ra ra!!

That was just my interpretation, everyone is going to take a look at the words and get what they want out of it. He also states in the interview that XNA will not be fully released until next year, and that will help development more. I find it informative and not just full of pr fud. Just my opinion.

It's extremely refreshing to see someone actually HONEST in their interviews.I agree with Valios, the usual PR bullshit is so annoying, I like that J can be real.

This was hilarious:

Q: Some people say the Xbox 360 looks the same as other systems. That it is just more of the same, just more powerful than the other systems. That it's just more graphics, more polygons, more, more, more. What will it do that is different?

Allard: Um, that's difficult to contend with. I mean, we are making a system to play videogames. It is a rectangular box with a power supply that hooks up to the TV with a game controller. (Laughter.) What do you want? You know, it's an interesting question. You know, do you want it to be a holographic experience that you play in your bathtub? We could have made it different…

"do you want it to be a a holographic experience that you play in your bathtub" LOL
Talk about the exact opposite of Ken Kutaragi, hehe

I'm not sure I would have used the term "sloppy" if I was in his position and trying to take blame for the problems that will arise, like you said Valioso. Sloppy implies the developers are just ignoring things they should be doing.

This isn't Allard at his best, thats for sure. A slip up in wording is probably the issue and not that he thinks the developers are actually being sloppy. The question didn't exactly put him in a good situation.

And don't think this so called "honesty" doesn't have a root in PR. This is Allards job -- everything he says should make consumers happy (at least as happy as they could be under a given circumstance), he is trying to sell the system afterall. I wouldn't look up to these guys (Allard, Kutaragi, Reggie, etc) for what they say, rather what they have accomplished, because what they say is hardly coming from them, but from the little PR gnome that lives in their teeth.

scooby_dooby said:
"do you want it to be a a holographic experience that you play in your bathtub" LOL

I think that's more a dig at Nintendo if anything.

A petty retort. It is true that X360 is the least "original" and different of the 3, the most derivative of the current breed. And that's a shame. I find much more to respect in a vision of change or ambition than a cookie-cutter, by the numbers "My Second Console". Sony has not been as bold as Nintendo in the changes they've brought, I don't think, but they at least make general motions toward different futures too (and they've already established the general form of the modern console in the original Playstation, the same mould MS is far from breaking, so I'll cut them a little slack).

And the "sloppy dev" comment is unfortunate, but I think he is well-intentioned from that perspective in that he recognises MS's responsibility here too.

Titanio said:
I think that's more a dig at Nintendo if anything.

A petty retort. It is true that X360 is the least "original" and different of the 3, the most derivative of the current breed. And that's a shame. I find much more to respect in a vision of change or ambition than a cookie-cutter, by the numbers "My Second Console". Sony has not been as bold as Nintendo in the changes they've brought, I don't think, but they at least make general motions toward different futures too (and they've already established the general form of the modern console in the original Playstation, the same mould MS is far from breaking, so I'll cut them a little slack).

And the "sloppy dev" comment is unfortunate, but I think he is well-intentioned from that perspective in that he recognises MS's responsibility here too.

I don't see how X360 is any less "original" than the PS3. Both share similar controllers. Both are rectangular boxes. What's inside is not all that different either.
And it's not like Sony came up with this concept before MS, their consoles always were much of a derivative of other manufacturers as well.

Not to say Sony didn't bring anything fresh to the market, but I do not find them any more original than anyone else.

hadareud said:
I don't see how X360 is any less "original" than the PS3. Both share similar controllers. Both are rectangular boxes. What's inside is not all that different either.
And it's not like Sony came up with this concept before MS, their consoles always were much of a derivative of other manufacturers as well.

Not to say Sony didn't bring anything fresh to the market, but I do not find them any more original than anyone else.

Sony introduced and defined the model of convergence that everyone - even Nintendo - is now following. Sony changed the image of gaming amongst the mainstream. And I was also thinking of their work with eyetoy, the ambition of their engineering and their long term vision etc. MS shadows the Playstation mould very closely. They're the most Playstation-like competition Sony has yet had, that much is undeniable.

valioso said:
In most interviews he has always tried to be quite honest about things, I rather hear stuff like this, than not the usual everything is wonderful, we are the best, ra ra ra!!....

agreed

scooby_dooby said:
This was hilarious:

"Q: Some people say the Xbox 360 looks the same as other systems. That it is just more of the same, just more powerful than the other systems. That it's just more graphics, more polygons, more, more, more. What will it do that is different? "

:D

seriously

I mean, PC enthusiasts pony up $400 every time a new video card falls out of somebody's pocket ;) .

It amazes me that people even ask him that question about such a well designed, cutting edge system with services to boot, for $3-400.

Titanio said:
Sony introduced defined the model of convergence that everyone - even Nintendo - is now following. Sony changed the image of gaming amongst the mainstream. And I was also thinking of their work with eyetoy, the ambition of their engineering and their long term vision etc. MS shadows the Playstation mould very closely. They're the most Playstation-like competition Sony has yet had, that much is undeniable.

I do agree with everything you say. But in the end of the day Sony has not changed the way console games are played (except for eyetoy games), other japanese console manufacturers did change time and again though.

I think Sony did and does a great job with PS, but I find their approach more logical than "original". MS does have a very similar approach, and yeah, I'm very sure they had and continue to have a good look at what Sony and Nintendo are doing. Their online model for consoles is quite original though, as is their developer support. And Sony I believe is having a very good look at that as well, and will derivate it for their console. And it is a very good thing if the two companies keep pushing themselves.

Tap In said:
ummmm, I beg to differ

http://www.beyond3d.com/articles/xenos/

not to mention the advances in Xbox Arcade and LIVE.

You missed my point. You're looking at a technical, micro-level. I'm looking a little higher up.

hadareud said:
I do agree with everything you say. But in the end of the day Sony has not changed the way console games are played (except for eyetoy games)

A pretty big exception, particularly given where the technology will hopefully go.

Even if you want to ignore that, consider who is playing games, post-playstation, rather than how.

hadareud said:
Their online model for consoles is quite original though, as is their developer support.

I'll give you the last point, but that is less visible to the consumer. On the former, they're simply refining the idea. Something MS is good at.

Back