IGN: after 1 year; Where art thou ray traced games

but the ergonomics were designed to suit a mechanical typewriter to prevent jamming keys and the limitations QWERTY was designed around don't apply to computer input
I think thats also a myth
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts...n-the-legend-of-the-qwerty-keyboard-49863249/
"In theory then, the qwERty system should maximize the separation of common letter pairings. This theory could be easily debunked for the simple reason that “er” is the fourth most common letter pairing in the English language"

Is qwerty ideal? obviously not, is dvorak better prolly? Is it ideal?, also not
you would think though theres been some ppl that have been using dvorak for decades and would wipe the floor at https://ultimatetypingchampionship.com/ from the last competition fastest 1-11 were qwerty, #12 was dvorak shows there may be a speed advantage to dvorak but its very little. Then again how many ppl do underhand freethrows in basketball even though its provably the better method, though that has the uncool disadvantage, Im think dvorak would be the 'cool' kids

I do agree we are locked in as qwerty has become the lingo franco (but not in france)

The only significant limitation behind lumen in software ray tracing mode is that SDF generation has to be done offline so you can't really represent deformable geometry in realtime under this system but considering how it's supposed to work with Nanite which also doesn't work for deformable geometry as well, hardware ray tracing currently doesn't buy you much of anything under these constraints ...

Lack of support for deformable objects is the big one and it’s a really big one. There are others like the inability to model closed spaces (walls need to be separate objects) and the limits of SDF resolution. The fact that Nanite is also limited to static objects doesn’t really help the case.

The 'slow down' perhaps, but the ergonomics were designed to suit a mechanical typewriter to prevent jamming keys and the limitations QWERTY was designed around don't apply to computer input. If a better keyboard is possible with better ergonomics, less fatigue, fewer injuries, and/or greater speed, it still won't get used.

This is the article cited from Reason Magazine (and it's the little brother to the other article written bu the same authors) -https://reason.com/1996/06/01/typing-errors/ - it isn't really talking about efficacy but why QWERTY becoming a standard not just for being first but for other reasons and the fallacy of people leaning on an example without properly confirming it, the old urban myth problem.

As said article states, data suggesting Dvorak isn't advantageous tends to compare people with existing QWERTY experience converting over, which is not the same as comparing someone who grew up with only Dvorak versus someone (of identical natural skill and KB use to develop at the same rate) who only knows QWERTY. In short, the comparisons are much like trying to see the value of Larrabee in running existing games of the time instead of with 20 years of graphics evolution designed around Larrabee.

I can quite accept people manage to overcome the limitations imposed by QWERTY, but QWERTY isn't designed ideally as the perfect computer input. It's just the best option because everyone was already used to it. Even if QWERTY isn't disadvantageous to typing, we are still 'locked in' to it. We'll be locked in to it regardless of how optimal it is for modern typing workloads and there's no point trying to research the true ideal KB layout (Dvorak isn't necessarily that so comparing QWERTY to Dvorak isn't proving QWERTY isn't imposing limits). Same as everyone driving on the left in the UK and the right in the US. Same as mains electricity being 120V in the US versus 220V in Europe. We're wrestling with IPv4 which wasn't designed to be future proof but just happened to be the starting point for addressing internet devices, and everyone started running with it and building a network around it, and then inventing complicated fixes like NAT to overcome its inherent limitations. We end up with a lot of legacy baggage limiting future options where, even if we recognise a change would be beneficial, the cost to change is prohibitive.

That's where consoles used to have an advantage, allowing a whole new paradigm in a new machine with new software, though of course business concerns limited how much investment they get to develop and explore new ideas that conflicted with larger common patterns.

In short, it really is impossible to compare alternative techs fairly where one is mainstream and the other experimental. A huge amount of a system lies not just in its immediate qualities, but the world and human thinking that is shaped around it. As hardware develops RT solutions, software will develop around that hardware, and an alternative paradigm that'd yield a net better results (from different tradeoffs) can't prove itself or be adopted. We just have fringe cases like Dreams where MM had to create their own entire tool-chain, an infinitesimally small investigation into the possibilities of non-triangle rendering against a world of decades of 3D triangle rasterisation thinking.

This brings to mind the divide between Metric and Imperial (for lack of a better word) measurements and which is better or worse. I used to be on the the bandwagon of Metric being obviously the better measurement system and I still believe it is WRT scientific measure, architecture, etc. But a couple of immigrants from metric countries (Russia and an Eastern European country) in my neighborhood enlightened me to the benefits of the Imperial measurement system in day to day situations, like cooking where it's base 2 system of measurement (although this is inconsistent :p) versus base 10 system of measurements for metric is a great boon as it makes it easy to measure and conceptualize measurements since everything is either a half step down or a double step up. They were absolutely delighted when they moved to the US and started using the Imperial system in their daily lives because they felt that the metric system that they grew up with was so cumbersome for those tasks.

It's interesting to think about the QWERTY layout in such a way as well. People generally talk about it's theoretical deficiencies in terms of the English language and perhaps rightly so as English is the closest thing to a commonly accepted common language that the world has. But there are other languages that use roughly the same alphanumeric characters like Spanish, French, German, etc. I do wonder if its theoretical deficiencies also exist in other languages.

Additionally, while it's certainly unfair to any other keyboard layout which may or may not be technically more optimal, there is an argument to be made that just standardizing something regardless of theoretical efficiency provides for a optimal solution in terms of practicality as then a user can seemlessly move from one machine to another with no loss in efficiency. I'm reminded of this every time I go to Japan and have to use a Japanese keyboard layout where the alphanumeric keys are in the same locations but the non-alpha numeric keys are laid out differently (for example ; and : are separate keys and ' and " are shift-7 and shift-2 respectively).

On a similar note, I really dislike that Keyboard layouts for games have standardised around WASD, which is far far from optimal, IMO. :p

Regards,
SB

I really dislike that Keyboard layouts for games have standardised around WASD
Agreed I use WSQE
We're wrestling with IPv4 which wasn't designed to be future proof
Do you think thats why this website failed ?
WRn5HfV.png

Agreed I use WSQE
I just tried that, surely its worse, as your middle finger is the longest, making it reach forwards is easier than reaching back?
I remember the old days it was qaopm(u,d,l,rshoot), or worse qwert l,r,u,d,shoot

Middle-mouse = forward, right-mouse = backward. Strafe = ",." (<>)

I have a massive dent in my IBM clicky-keyboard's space bar from my left-thumb fingernail due to Quake strafe-jumping :oops:

I REALLY HATE IT WHEN GAMES DON'T LET YOU USE SOMETHING OTHER THAN WASD.

I just tried that, surely its worse, as your middle finger is the longest, making it reach forwards is easier than reaching back?
I remember the old days it was qaopm(u,d,l,rshoot), or worse qwert l,r,u,d,shoot

Maybe his middle finger is shorter than the rest.

Maybe his middle finger is shorter than the rest.
yes Ive heard some ppl have either the ring or index longer than the middle but I dont think Ive heard the middle being the shortest.
but I'll check that

I misremembered its the ring/index lengths differing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digit_ratio FWIW mine are about the same, ring finger maybe a fraction shorter looks like Im missing out on the "Longer penis in males." :cry: my small nose aint helping as well (maybe I should just measure my dick)

I couldnt find anything about ppl with shorter middle fingers

My fingers are straighter when resting on QWE than on AWD
I used to game on one of these
wEY9fn6.jpg

Last edited:
Well the profiling software no longer works because idealzon cant be arsed recompiling the drivers for win10 and getting them signed
I am considering getting one of these :
2oo8mqr.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe I'm weird, but just having this many games have raytracing on console is already impressive considering people didn't think we'd have any not that long before launch.

Crossgen also affect development pipelines heavily, so although the consoles will always be limited, it'll be much easier to leverage their strengths when devs are focusing specifically on them.

Maybe I'm weird, but just having this many games have raytracing on console is already impressive considering people didn't think we'd have any not that long before launch.

Crossgen also affect development pipelines heavily, so although the consoles will always be limited, it'll be much easier to leverage their strengths when devs are focusing specifically on them.

I think you’re spot on. It’s better than I hoped for.

And when the ball-n-chain of cross-gen is removed, maybe it'll be exciting.

How long is this cross-gen crap gonna go on for?

And when the ball-n-chain of cross-gen is removed, maybe it'll be exciting.

How long is this cross-gen crap gonna go on for?

I think PlayStation has another two years of crossgen slated for their titles, 2022 and 2023. Maybe more. I think Xbox is nearly finished, with small number one or two crossgen titles being early 2022.

I think PlayStation has another two years of crossgen slated for their titles, 2022 and 2023. Maybe more. I think Xbox is nearly finished, with small number one or two crossgen titles being early 2022.
Crazy how that turned out.

Back