If you could change one physical attribute of yours...

Smaller hands. I'm rather happy with my very large body. I've lifted weights most of my life so being 6'4"ish and 308 pounds I'm still in great condintion. Though my ape hands are often annoying.

digitalwanderer said:
Ooooh, I thought of one I'd like better....I'd like 20/20 vision.

My eyes are pretty insanely bad without glasses, and not having to wear glasses would be nice. I don't like contacts, and the idea of lasic surgery just gives me the willies though...so I'm stuck with 'em. :rolleyes:

Lasik is awesome. Unless you have really bad astimagtism. My wife wore glasses from the age of six and at age 40 didn't have to wear them even to drive. I vividly remember her coming to bed and reaching up to take off the glasses that weren't there anymore.

I had it too. If you can do it --do it. Err. . .it should go without saying, get the best Lasik guy in your area, not the cheapest!

Last edited by a moderator:
silence said:
longer tongue ;)

Two single guys on the prowl are sitting at the bar, looking disgusted.

"Look at him, with all those gorgeous women surrounding him. I don't get it, he's the ugliest man I've ever seen", says the first.

"Yeah," says the second, "all he does is sit there and lick his eyebrows."

I always think of Billy Bob Thornton when I tell that one. It's the only explanation that occurs to me. . .

geo said:
Lasik is awesome. Unless you have really bad astimagtism. My wife wore glasses from the age of six and at age 40 didn't have to wear them even to drive. I vividly remember her coming to bed and reaching up to take off the glasses that weren't there anymore.

I had it too. If you can do it --do it. Err. . .it should go without saying, get the best Lasik guy in your area, not the cheapest!
If it ain't too rude to ask, how much did it run you for it and how long was recovery?

Heck, I'm still paying off my heart attack. I almost had another one when I found out what the first one cost me. :???:

I wouldn't get LASIK unless it is wavefront LASIK. There is a big enough risk that you'll have fscked up night vision, or other scaring or non-ideal vision. But if you're going to risk your eye with an irreversible operation, may as well go for 20/10 with a technique that can correct for *all* aberrations in your eye, not just focal length, but any distortion that happens as photons pass through your eye's liquid and other structures.

(I know two people with bad results, one with serious complications, and I used to consult for the official website of the ASCRS and I read lots of horror stories in the password protected forums)

Me: It's my fscking vision man! I'll stick with glasses and contacts until the error rate for LASIK complications is %0.000001

I'm mix... (white/asian)

so i'd prefer a different eye color...

people always ask if i wear contacts coz my eyes are blue...

My son is mixed (half chinese). The funny thing is, when he was born, there was lots of blueish specs in his brown eyes, so that they looked bluish from some angles. But it disappeared as he got older. I say colored contacts work wonders, and no need for invasive surgery. :)

Sheesh...you ask this to a man who's got the same diasease I have and then you'll know what really means the word "awkward".

K.I.L.E.R said:
I'd add an Intel Pentium 4 CPU to my brain along with 1GB of RAM.
Nah... you'd overheat. Choose something a bit more energy efficient:p

geo said:
Two single guys on the prowl are sitting at the bar, looking disgusted.

"Look at him, with all those gorgeous women surrounding him. I don't get it, he's the ugliest man I've ever seen", says the first.

"Yeah," says the second, "all he does is sit there and lick his eyebrows."

I always think of Billy Bob Thornton when I tell that one. It's the only explanation that occurs to me. . .

hehe..... thats exactlly why i said it ;)

btw, i heard that one :LOL:

digitalwanderer said:
If it ain't too rude to ask, how much did it run you for it and how long was recovery?

Heck, I'm still paying off my heart attack. I almost had another one when I found out what the first one cost me. :???:

$3k, tho this is about six years ago now. I've seen it advertised for as low as $600, but I certainly wouldn't do it at some mill. Otoh, the statistics show that that more ops a doctor does, the less problems he has. I think I read somewhere that you want someone who has done at least 500.

Y'know, if Tiger Woods can have it done. . .you think he cares about his eyes?

I could see better immediately, walking out of the operatory. Tho you need to wear goggles when you sleep for a few days to make sure you don't rub your eyes in your sleep. And use eye drops for awhile. Our guy gave us a sleeping pill to take when we got home so we could have a nice long sleep while the flaps worked on reattaching themselves.

The technology has no doubt moved on and gotten better. I hadn't heard of this wavefront thingy DC mentioned. And, yes, the worse your eyes are to start, the more correction they have to make, and the more possiblility of side effects there are. You are also getting to the age where it is more likely you might need to trade close-in vision (i.e. need reading glasses). Deb's correction was pretty darn large, but she reported only a small loss of night vision (your eye is collecting less light, tho during the day there is usually such an excess that your eye is shutting some out anyway), and a touch of haloing at night.

Here's Deb's page on her surgery. http://www.dahoudek.com/pages/lasik.htm Somewhere we have a videotape of it.

DemoCoder said:
Me: It's my fscking vision man! I'll stick with glasses and contacts until the error rate for LASIK complications is %0.000001
Me too. I might be blind as a wombat without my glasses, but with 'em I'm 20/20....it just seems like too much to risk for vanity/convenience's sake for me right now.

Besides, I could buy me a huuuuge ass monitor for that kind of money and not worry about it. ;)

LunchBox said:
I'm mix... (white/asian)

so i'd prefer a different eye color...

people always ask if i wear contacts coz my eyes are blue...

That's a good look! I'm half chinese and have brown/green eyes (which go greener in a hot bath - don't know why).

Back