Idiot-proof DVD encoding/burning tool?

_xxx_

Banned
I have some problems with certain files and I'm tired of trying. Does anyone know of any free/demo util which will transcode an AVI and burn it to DVD without the need to set thousand params? Kinda like one-click tool which'll do everything without me needing to adjust stuff.

london-boy said:
so i can use DivxtoDVD to encode and Nero to burn...

Yes. Just take the files that DivxtoDVD makes and drop them into the correct folder on a DVD movie disk in Nero

london-boy said:
Can't i just use Nero to encode? Or is the quality REALLY that bad?

I find that Nero Recode or Nero Burning Rom just seem to have really poor quality in comparison. It always wants to frig around with the bitrate, but only to strict standard limitations. If a movie is five percent over size, it will drop it from "standard" to "long play" and only use three quarters of the disc. It also doesn't have options for choosing extra deghost or deblock processing like you get in other packages.

You can make four gigs worth of data using DivxtoDVD and burn it directly and it looks really good. Put it into Nero Recode and it says the data won't fit and then insists on reprocessing it at a lower bitrate and ends up with worse quality.

Of course a lot depends on the quality of the source, but I've never managed to get better than average quality from allowing any of the Nero products to process the video.

Thanks, I'll try it out.

L-B: Nero has terrible quality and is slow as a**. Only good for burning (maybe the best) but for nothing else.

_xxx_ said:
Thanks, I'll try it out.

L-B: Nero has terrible quality and is slow as a**. Only good for burning (maybe the best) but for nothing else.

Yep, tried it last night. Encoded a video with DivxtoDVD much faster then Nero, then burned it with Nero. Much better than doing everything with Nero.
But how do i choose how big the final DVD file is gonna be, from the AVI file?
I mean, my video converted into a ~2GB DVD file... Is there any way to choose how big the final file is going to be?

london-boy said:
_xxx_ said:
Thanks, I'll try it out.

Yep, tried it last night. Encoded a video with DivxtoDVD much faster then Nero, then burned it with Nero. Much better than doing everything with Nero.
I mean, my video converted into a ~2GB DVD file... Is there any way to choose how big the final file is going to be?

You can't - it's mostly governed by the DVD specifications for Mpeg. If you fiddle around with it, it may not work in standalone DVD players.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
london-boy said:
_xxx_ said:
Thanks, I'll try it out.

You can't - it's mostly governed by the DVD specifications for Mpeg. If you fiddle around with it, it may not work in standalone DVD players.

Ok... So what if the final file ends up being bigger than 4.5GB?
Oh i have the answer. The program splits the file into 1GB chunks, i noticed last night.. Guess if the final file ends up being bigger, i'd need to use more than one DVD and split the movie...

london-boy said:
Oh i have the answer. The program splits the file into 1GB chunks, i noticed last night.. Guess if the final file ends up being bigger, i'd need to use more than one DVD and split the movie...

You either have to use a dual layer disc, or resample down. DivxtoDVD doesn't allow you to change those settings (well it is supposed to be simple), but other tools like Nero Vision Express or DVD shrink do allow you to mess about with sampling rates.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
london-boy said:

You either have to use a dual layer disc, or resample down. DivxtoDVD doesn't allow you to change those settings (well it is supposed to be simple), but other tools like Nero Vision Express or DVD shrink do allow you to mess about with sampling rates.

Oh right, i find Nero's quality is very good when going from DVD to other formats or a 4.5GB DVD, Killbill looked very very good when i copied it, so i could re-convert the DVD files into something that fits on a normal DVD. Oh and it's very fast too in doing that.

l-b, that was mpeg->mpeg. Try doing that with a DivX movie, it takes about three hours on my machine as opposed to some other encoders which take half the time and have much better quality.

Remember that a MPEG-2 re-encoder such as DVDShrink is much faster than a pure encoder. Many re-encoders just requantize the coefficients to make the files smaller. Some re-encoders also check the motion vectors to make sure that they are still good after requantizing. These re-encoders are slower but they make better results.

There are just too many differences between MPEG-4 and MPEG-2, so it's very hard to make a re-encoder from MPEG-4 to MPEG-2. It's probably possible to make a MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 re-encoder, though. But since the point of using MPEG-4 is to use the advanced features to reduce bitrate while maintaining quality, it seems to be pointless to do a direct re-encoder unless your platform supports MPEG-4 only.

_xxx_ said:
l-b, that was mpeg->mpeg. Try doing that with a DivX movie, it takes about three hours on my machine as opposed to some other encoders which take half the time and have much better quality.

:LOL: Yeah my god I tried that, it gave me an estimated time of 5Hrs, on a AMD64 3200 and 1GB Ram!!!! as opposed to DIVXtoDVD which gave me a 1hr estimate for the longest movie i've converted... quite cool.

OK, now I bought a nice DivX-capable DVD player (Yamaha S550), so no more converting needed :D :D :D

It's a very high-quality CD-player as well, since it has audio upsampling.

Here comes my next question then, How do u upgrade your Divx compatible DVD player when new versions of Divx come out? It's constantly evolving so i guess people will need to upgrade their players accordingly...?

It is my understanding that newer versions of DivX/whatever can only improve the encoding process and add previously unsupported MPEG4 features to the decoder. (and maybe some post processing/bug fixes in the decoder filter),

The hardware players have a general MPEG4 decoder that copes with the current implementations of DivX/whatever and, if something new is needed, they provide SW through flash updates.

If you're lucky. ;)

london-boy said:
Here comes my next question then, How do u upgrade your Divx compatible DVD player when new versions of Divx come out? It's constantly evolving so i guess people will need to upgrade their players accordingly...?

Dl the new firmware from the manufacturers page, burn it to CD, insert into the player, it updates automatically. That's it.

Oh, it plays XviD as well :D

_xxx_ said:
london-boy said:

Dl the new firmware from the manufacturers page, burn it to CD, insert into the player, it updates automatically. That's it.

Oh, it plays XviD as well :D

Nice... i've spent countless hours converting Divx to DVDs, it would be nice if Divx became a standard feature on all DVD players, although it's a bit late now, there are just too many millions of "normal" DVD players around.

london-boy said:
Nice... i've spent countless hours converting Divx to DVDs, it would be nice if Divx became a standard feature on all DVD players, although it's a bit late now, there are just too many millions of "normal" DVD players around.

There's quite a few players that support Divx, and a smaller number that also support Xvid. Some of them are very cheap, like the new Samsungs which can be had for £60.

Back