Ideas for troll-free forums

Neeyik said:
Do bare in mind that I don't have mod rights for all forums; I don't think there is anything behind this, just a case of Dave not having sufficient spare time to sit down to perform admin work - basically, for Dave and others, it's a case of crushing B3D duties in wherever that's possible. In addition to the mod rights, I have no power to ban users as this is a decision for the EIC.
I think it's about time Dave does the right thing.

In all my years at B3D, I had only ever banned one guy (Scali, and you guys know about it) and I do admit this is something that is hard to do (should I? shouldn't I? should I? shouldn't I?... on and on...) but I think Dave should now add you to the list. Having said this, I think it should be extremely understandable to all here if you/Dave decided to ban someone. The trust and understanding of you two (well, K and Marco can ban too but they're basically just, well, you know...) when it comes to banning someone are there.

More mods might help but there is another way, one which in the long term has a far more satisfactory result. Don't bite back
That's basically it, yes.

I think neeyik should get banning rights . This way sonic and I can use the proper means of contacting him with out right trolls to be bad . Sadly for some users this is a must . Some users will never shape up and while with some of them (Chap , hvz ) i follow them around and delete each and every negative post they post , i just simply don't have the time and i think even 4 of us will have the same troubles except now there will be alot more fighting between us on what to do

I don't know if more mords would have fighting on what to do or how to do things. We're always agreeing on the best methods to go at a particular problem in the console board.

All I know is that whoever gets banning rights there needs to be an open line of communication when someone does get banned. I guess that is there now.

I am not entirely sure I am comfortable with the ability to ban. I definitely wouldn't want to eb the only one with it.

bloodbob said:
I'm pretty sure this forum is using pretty standard code. Suggesting reasonable large code changes probably isn't a useful idea.

Give killer and DW mod rights to all the forums. Problem solved.

I hope you're not suggesting that Dig and I would be stupid enough to ban ourselves? :p :LOL:

Back OT:
Why do threads like this always refer back to the console forum?
Honestly, why not just close it and let people cool off for about a month.

If people keep abusing the forum then add an extra month on top of the cooling period.
The more people misbehave, the longer the cooldown.

Sonic said:
I don't know if more mords would have fighting on what to do or how to do things. We're always agreeing on the best methods to go at a particular problem in the console board.

All I know is that whoever gets banning rights there needs to be an open line of communication when someone does get banned. I guess that is there now.

I am not entirely sure I am comfortable with the ability to ban. I definitely wouldn't want to eb the only one with it.

Haha i suggested you cause i didn't wnat that to rest on my shoulders :)

But really as long as its someone dave trusts and checks the mod forum at least once a week it should be fine . You and i agree 90% of the time on who needs to be banned and i'm sure that 80% of the posters will agree with our choices . So as long as someone can do it and we don't force more of daves free time down the drain , the better it is

Sounds like a good plan to me. Isn't that why the mod forum is there? Amongst other things of course.

Fancy bboard software for allowing limited moderator power might be nice but isn't required. Define a procedure for what has to happen before someone gets banned, e.g. N moderators have to agree that certain types of infractions have occurred, and there must be M warnings before the ban. Then give full moderator power to anyone who can be trusted to abide by the procedure. If a mod violates the procedure, then remove their mod power.

To take a specific example, if sonic and jvd were both given banning power and told to only ban people if they both agree, then 90% of those whom jvd thinks should be banned would be gone. The other 10% would get a (possibly temporary) reprieve.

Enjoy, Aranfell

PS: I'm jumping in because I like to read the console forums (please don't close them!) but it's hard to wade past the garbage. If the bboard software let me ignore specific users it would be less of an issue.

What about a simple "Report post to Moderators" first ?
When there are too many posts reported, warn, then ban...

K.I.L.E.R said:
Back OT:
Why do threads like this always refer back to the console forum?
Honestly, why not just close it and let people cool off for about a month.

If people keep abusing the forum then add an extra month on top of the cooling period.
The more people misbehave, the longer the cooldown.
That punishes the well behaved for the infractions of a few, though. There's some good and intelligent talk on there which wouldn't be fair to trounce for a few imbeciles.

Given the problems with banning people as mentioned here, seems to me an invitation-only forum could eliminate much of that. Select those who behave themselves in the public forum and elevate them to their own private spaces where trouble makers can't actually gain entry. The biggest problem it seems to me is any Tom, Dick or Harry can gain instant posting rights, whereas the nature of B3D is rather exclusive in that it isn't a place for spouting rhetoric or slagging off various companies/individuals, but a place for discussing technical issues. The fact it's named 'Console Forum' suggests to the public it's like any other where you arrive to say your piece on all things console, including your opinion on the dress sense of console producers CEO's. There's countless forums out there to provide for this, but none that sticks exclusively to intelligent, factual discussions regards console and gaming without getting embroiled in bitch-fights between parties allied to one or other hardware medium.

Sonic said:
Don't overthink the situation at hand, Sonic, ban them all and let the intercyberweb sort them out.
Banning is fun, you should try first, and then pass a judgement about it.

We need the noise:signal ratio back to what it was a few months ago. Right now the board is almost as readable as Gamefaqs boards.

The ban stick have to be waved, once again, to free B3Dmelot from the invasion!
london-boy said:
I think we should ask Jeeves
Jeeves is stupid. His first suggestion is the IGN Boards.

Somebody should ban Jeeves from the internet.

We can allways send l-b to thier house to give them an std and wiat for them to slowly die.... though that may take awhile... cause u know of the slowly dieng part

AFAIKT mods need ip/net banning capabilities. it's not unfrequent for a recently cast away "noise contributor" to re-occur shortly after under a different account and, with his old style but more vigor, poo on as many threads as his typing skills allow him in record time.

jvd said:
We can allways send l-b to thier house to give them an std and wiat for them to slowly die.... though that may take awhile... cause u know of the slowly dieng part

That was uncalled for!! Go wash your mouth! or fingers! Whatever!

You should ban yourself.

digitalwanderer said:
Best way to keep a forum troll free is to have ogres patrol it.
yep.gif

No, it's not. Jekyl/Hydes, perhaps.

Back