ICO devs discuss how they made SOTC (In FULL detail)

Thanks a bunch one. Bit over my head in parts but an interesting read nonetheless, particularly about the animation techniques they used. I suppose a lot of this stuff has been used on a technical level before but Ive never seen animation as organic and pleasing to the eye in real-time as it is in SotC. Can make other games hard to look at in comparison. I cant wait to see what they'll be able to do on PS3.

I can't wait to see what these guys can do with the PS3. So excited. Especially after hearing about that EGM rumor mill thing about Shadow of the Colossus sequel being in the works for the PS3. The ending definately left plenty of room open for a sequel.

Excellent post "one". It was nice to see and understand all the incredible work they did on this amazing game.

centerofadmiration said:
I can't wait to see what these guys can do with the PS3. So excited. Especially after hearing about that EGM rumor mill thing about Shadow of the Colossus sequel being in the works for the PS3. The ending definately left plenty of room open for a sequel.

SPOILERS!!!

Did it??

I mean, what can the girl do on her own... with no more colossi to kill... all she can do is go round the place, get bored and die alone. I thought that was the point of the ending and the sad part of it... It was a very cruel ending... If she then gets rescued (by whom anyway?) then the ending of SOTC loses its magnificent impact.

END OF SPOILERS!!!

UM...MORE SPOILERS!!!

There's some discussion that SotC could be a prequel to Ico, in that its actually set generations beforehand. SotC's ending (did you stick around after the credits?) with the girl finding The Wanderer in the pool turned into a baby with horns leads one to believe thats where the "Boys With Horns" legend all got started, and why the villagers sacrificed them in Ico. Whether or not the girl might have turned into the evil Queen is also up for debate. Another thing, if you look at the final shot with the eagle flying away the main temple looks startlingly like the visage of the castle in Ico. Anyway some food for thought. I love Ueda's minamalist plots. ;)

END OF SPOILERS!!!

liverkick said:
UM...MORE SPOILERS!!!

There's some discussion that SotC could be a prequel to Ico, in that its actually set generations beforehand. SotC's ending (did you stick around after the credits?) with the girl finding The Wanderer in the pool turned into a baby with horns leads one to believe thats where the "Boys With Horns" legend all got started, and why the villagers sacrificed them in Ico. Whether or not the girl might have turned into the evil Queen is also up for debate. Another thing, if you look at the final shot with the eagle flying away the main temple looks startlingly like the visage of the castle in Ico. Anyway some food for thought. I love Ueda's minamalist plots. ;)

END OF SPOILERS!!!

SPOILERS

Of course i saw the baby thing!!!
And the first i thought when i saw the horny baby was "THAT'S THE BOY IN ICO!!"... So yeah i also thought about the prequel thing :D

can someone actually post a screenshot that shows all these awsome effects in action or are we just tlaking about them?

london-boy said:
Play the game? ;) It's really a beautiful game you know...
Just because you chipped your PS2 just to play this, you ca't expect everyone else to! I haven't played this game yet and won't until the end of February.

Shifty Geezer said:
Just because you chipped your PS2 just to play this, you ca't expect everyone else to! I haven't played this game yet and won't until the end of February.

No chipping involved. Swap Magic for PS2 lets you play imports. 12 quid or something online. very easy.

Besides, c0_re isn't in Europe ;)

Lost in Translation....

Anyway, guys, just buy the damn game and see all these effects moving and stuff!! And you even get a fabulous games thrown in for free!!! ;)

Well heres some pics of the game " in action ", not sure if you can call still pictures action shots though :p

s26448_ps2_2.jpg

s26448_ps2_9.jpg

london-boy said:
Lost in Translation....

Anyway, guys, just buy the damn game and see all these effects moving and stuff!! And you even get a fabulous games thrown in for free!!! ;)
Picked it up today. Wow.

I had one of those video game moments that will stick with me for a while: on the first colossi, I run up behind him and he's just walking along and I'm thinking, "He's just walking in a circle and can't see me." So I stand still and just watch him and even that is breathtaking. And then he sees me and it's as if his eyes pierce through the TV screen and I'm actually stunned as he starts rumbling towards me, rocks spewing in all directions with every step. It took a moment before I realized, "Holy shit, he's going to trample me!"

Absolutely incredible.

.Sis

PS l-b, I'm out $60 today because of you. But you have good taste :smile:

Just wait until you experience Colossus #3 and #5. I swear I was frozen in awe for atleast half an hour on both before I even started attempting to fight the things.

centerofadmiration said:
Just wait until you experience Colossus #3 and #5. I swear I was frozen in awe for atleast half an hour on both before I even started attempting to fight the things.
Just beat #4. Totally agree on #3.

Anyone else feel sad after defeating one? It's almost depressing. These creatures are gorgeous. :cry:

.Sis

Sis said:
Just beat #4. Totally agree on #3.

Anyone else feel sad after defeating one? It's almost depressing. These creatures are gorgeous. :cry:

.Sis

I lost my sympathy when advancing in the game. They get VERY aggressive and menacing towards the end. What is there to feel sorry for? :devilish:

Sis said:
PS l-b, I'm out $60 today because of you. But you have good taste :smile:

Then trust me and also get Kingdom Hearts, just in time for the second one to come out. :smile:

Anyway, if you think the first Colossus is incredible... :LOL: You just wait:LOL:

drpepper said:
I lost my sympathy when advancing in the game. They get VERY aggressive and menacing towards the end. What is there to feel sorry for? :devilish:
Well you know, they probably texted each other going "OI THERES A LTTL SH1T HERE KILLIN US ALL 1 BY 1 INNIT!"... So they're kinda prepared...?

Back