ICO devs discuss how they made SOTC (In FULL detail)

drpepper said:
I lost my sympathy when advancing in the game. They get VERY aggressive and menacing towards the end. What is there to feel sorry for? :devilish:

small spoiler :

in fact ,you fell empathy for them while you are still pure.Killing them darken your soul.The colossi increasing in agressivity is a feed back of that.

OK, MAJOR SPOILER ABOUT THE END OF THE GAME SO STAY AWAY IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED IT. But read on and answer if you have finished the game please ;)

I was wondering, haven't had time to finish the game again, but basically is there only one ending? I mean, after you turn into the big black colossus, is there a way to kill the sorcerer guy before he open the portal which sucks you in?

Would be nice to see what happens if you could...

End of mega spoiler

Vast free roaming environments

Impressive modeling and animation of the horse and horse mannerisms

Incredible modeling for each Colossus

Ridiculously immense scale between you and the Colossus

Convincing animation of the Colossus that absolutely conveys their enormous size

Who in their right mind in 1999 would ever have thought PS2 would be pulling off fur shading and hdr exposure effects one day?!

The cons:

The environments sure seem desolate and lonely- just me and friggin horse (and the occasional lizard or turtle).

This is definitely not an energetic-paced game.

Traveling to each Colossus site in realtime gets to be slow and monotonous after the first few times.

It's definitely got that distinct Japanese development feel. My "crude" American tastes leave me wanting for that grandiose Hollywood blockbuster feel, which this game is really lacking (for better or worse).

No other PS2 game I've played until now has been in such dire need for some anisotropic filtering (or whatever that thing is that smoothes out nasty texture artifacts that appear at near shallow angles to the viewpoint)...than this one. Massive seas of those glittering "dots" as the landscape extends into the distance. It's really quite pronounced, at times.

...and why does that man-boy run like a mamby-pamby girly???

The game really straddles some highes and lows all at the same time. I can't help to be impressed by what has been achieved here on a technical level, but I can't quite make my mind if I actually "like" this game or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
randycat99 said:
...and why does that man-boy run like a mamby-pamby girly???
Just put the damn sword away when you run, for crying out loud it's heavy!

Seriously though, my girlfriend said the same thing: "Why does he run like girl?"

.Sis

Sis said:
Just put the damn sword away when you run, for crying out loud it's heavy!

Seriously though, my girlfriend said the same thing: "Why does he run like girl?"

.Sis

Well he doesn't look like a boy either does he... Maybe he IS a girl... Lesbian affair anyone?! Why do all heroes have to be boys? ;)

london-boy said:
Well he doesn't look like a boy either does he... Maybe he IS a girl... Lesbian affair anyone?! Why do all heroes have to be boys? ;)
That really needed a spoiler warning.

.Sis

:LOL:

Back