IBM's project codename for Cell

Someone in the Teamxbox forum made this comment:

"Everyone feared Smaug, but his arrogance and a soft spot on his belly lead to his doom.

He was ended with a single arrow."

"He was ended with a single arrow."
... but only after he lived for a couple thousand years and amassed a huge wealth... :p

bbot said:

"Everyone feared Smaug, but his arrogance and a soft spot on his belly lead to his doom.

Would it make sense then for me to mention that Waternoose (MS' chip) fell in love with a mad scheme for power and wealth and was eventually discredited and put behind bars? ;)

So bbot, what do you have to say about Waternoose, the codename of the XeCPU if that article is to be believed?

xbdestroya said:
eventually discredited

Post- Major Nelson articles, that could be appropriate ;)

Anyway, they're just CODENAMES! I know I'm just contributing with my comment above (sorry, couldn't help it), but I guess it's a bit stupid to make these name's a point of argument. Quoting Teamxbox at the top of the thread was not a good idea :LOL:

IQ - 1000000

Fafalada said:
... but only after he lived for a couple thousand years and amassed a huge wealth... :p

Was IBM trying to point out that cell has a serious weak point?

xbdestroya said:
bbot said:

Would it make sense then for me to mention that Waternoose (MS' chip) fell in love with a mad scheme for power and wealth and was eventually discredited and put behind bars? ;)

I didn't see the movie. Please tell me more.

bbot said:
xbdestroya said:
bbot said:

Well, what I told you already pretty much sums it up. ;)

Suffice to say that if you want context, you might as well watch the movie. (Monsters, Inc.)

(he's the main villain though, to give it all away)

Titanio said:
bbot said:
Fafalada said:

Are you serious? :LOL:

Well, if you read the Nikkei article, you know that IBM originally suggested an multi PowerPC core design. which was turnd down by Sony. Toshiba's design had no PowerPC, which pissed IBM off. So eventually a compromise was reached where one POwerPC core (PPE) was included. Perhaps IBM was still unhappy that more PowerPC cores weren't included.

xbdestroya said:
bbot said:
xbdestroya said:
bbot said:

Well, what I told you already pretty much sums it up. ;)

Suffice to say that if you want context, you might as well watch the movie. (Monsters, Inc.)

(he's the main villain though, to give it all away)

Sounds like what's happening to MS now (Windows/IE).

bbot said:
Well, if you read the Nikkei article, you know that IBM originally suggested an multi PowerPC core design. which was turnd down by Sony. Toshiba's design had no PowerPC, which pissed IBM off. So eventually a compromise was reached where one POwerPC core (PPE) was included. Perhaps IBM was still unhappy that more PowerPC cores weren't included.
and it seems as though MS went with IBM 's suggestion...

bbot said:
Titanio said:
bbot said:
Fafalada said:

Are you serious? :LOL:

Oh ok, you WERE serious.

If you think IBM is going to go out of its way to "point out a serious weakness" in their own product you're living in cloud cuckoo land :rolleyes:

I cannot believe the lengths at which people will go to try and dull the sheen of Cell - to the point of codename interpretation! Is it really that threatening?

and it seems as though MS went with IBM 's suggestion...

On a high level it might. But then you might also consider dual-core G5s to be an embodiment of that plan (also, simply, a multicore PowerPC chip). Without detail on the cores IBM were thinking of for their initial Cell suggestion, it's difficult to tell if XeCPU bears any relation to it. And I believe there were 4 of them in their original Cell suggestion (?)

It was in IBM's own business interests to suggest something that was exclusively made up of their products, not (necessarily) in the techncial interests of the project. It's also a plan that would take less work and investment to realise, which would make something similar attractive for MS.

so the CPUs for next gen consoles are: Smaug, Waternoose and Broadway.

although Broadway might be Nintendo's codename and not IBM's, maybe IBM has their own codename for Revolution's CPU.

Smaug - RSX | Waternoose - Xenos | Broadway - Hollywood

Megadrive1988 said:
so the CPUs for next gen consoles are: Smaug, Waternoose and Broadway.

although Broadway might be Nintendo's codename and not IBM's, maybe IBM has their own codename for Revolution's CPU.

Smaug - RSX | Waternoose - Xenos | Broadway - Hollywood
yup

Are RSX and Xenos the codenames of the chips? eg. Smaug WAS Smaug, but is now Cell - PS3 has Cell and RSX. Smaug and Waternoose arten't official designations, unlike Xenos, Broadway, RSX and Hollywood.

Shifty Geezer said:
Are RSX and Xenos the codenames of the chips? eg. Smaug WAS Smaug, but is now Cell - PS3 has Cell and RSX. Smaug and Waternoose arten't official designations, unlike Xenos, Broadway, RSX and Hollywood.
Well it's "pretty safe" to say RSX's codename was G70, right? :p

bbot said:
Yes yes that is precisely it, they are pointing out that Cell will be a huge financial success for about thousand years to come, after which its weakness will eventually be found out.
8)

Back