I was looking for a way to change priority timings in CLI

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
and I came across this: (BTW, anyone know the command to assign a CPU priority option of high using the CLI?)

SITE: http://members.aol.com/axcel216/newtip21.htm

NOTE: To learn how to increase the level of CPU priority used by foreground/background applications in Win9x/2000/ME/XP see "CPU PRIORITY", also in REGISTRY.TXT [part of W95-11D.EXE].

"To boost dramatically your CPU priority for higher performance, run Regedit and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\control\PriorityControl

Create the "PriorityControl" Registry subkey if not present: right-click in the left hand pane -> select New -> Key. Name this new subkey "PriorityControl" (no quotes) -> click OK or press Enter.
Highlight this new subkey -> create a new DWORD Value called "IRQ#Priority": right-click in the right hand pane -> -> create a New DWORD Value named "IRQ#Priority" -> click OK -> double-click on it -> check the Decimal box -> type 1 to turn it on -> click OK or press Enter.
To get the actual IRQ# go to: Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> System Devices -> System CMOS/real time clock -> Properties -> Resources tab -> default IRQ# is 8 on all IBM PC clones [yours included :)]. Therefore you need to rename the DWORD above to read "IRQ8Priority" (no quotes).
Close Regedit and restart Windows to see the effect.
I have applied this trick to Win95 and WinME, both with great results."

ADD-ON: You can also do this for other IRQs, looking here especially at the ones that are shared among multiple hardware devices (see the Device Manager IRQ list for details specific to your machine), to allow them to take priority over non-shared IRQs.

When executing an application, instead of simply entering it's name, use the start command, and include the /HIGH option.

If you use start on a file that is not an executable windows will open them with their associated app.

CC

Back