I tried Windows XP 64 Pro & want to share this with you

wireframe

Veteran
A slightly misleading title for this first post, but hopefully that will all change as those who have used this beta version of Windows will chime in and spill the beans.

Have you or are you running XP 64? What software works and what doesn't? Tell us about your favorite game or application working or not working. Do you think it is a lack of driver support/maturity or is there a ghost in the Windows machine that won't let your favorite 'legacy' application run?

I have an AMD 64 machine and I have a copy of Windows XP 64, but I haven't gotten around to installing and testing it. I need to get a separate drive to install and have a look around some day. Linux x86_64 works fine though ;).

Sorry, no experience, but i'd suggest using vmware or similar software, it's ideal for testing software and OSes.

I have XP x64 on my noteboook. It's just like XP 32. It looks exactly the same.

There only difference initially you'll see is that you have 64-bit IE. Whoopidy doo.

I didn't try any games after seeing reviews that showed little to no benefit (usually a slight loss) in performance unless you have a 64-bit exe.

My current opinion of it is that it is capable of being used full time. It seems very stable. It runs all 32-bit apps that I know of. There's an Avast Home Edition AV that will run in it (32-bit antivirus is troublesome in XP x64 and Avast is the only working option right now I believe).

I'm not sure there's a lot of point quite yet for gamers though. But ATI just released another Beta set of drivers for it so obviously they are steaming up for the imminent release. Things like Audigy drivers are questionable though. Sure the OS has built-in drivers for a lot of hardware but I'm sure a full release by hardware manufacturers (especially for Audigy since it has its own apps) will be far more beneficial.

So, it's your call. There's not much to lose by trying it though. There's definitely nothing fundamentally wrong with XP x64. And it's free right now!

Back