I found a folder with a bunch of old scene demos on my harddrive...

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
Almost all of them were from the 2001-2004 timespan, with one going back to dusty ole pre-hardware acceleration times in 1997, when monitors were illuminated by whale oil lanterns and not electricity... ;)

Demos I watched:
Cranium by Kewlers
FR-041 by Farbrausch
FR-055 (also) by Farbrausch
FR-056 (the same...)
Gerbera by Moppi Productions
Glon243 by Cocoon
Heaven7 by Exceed
Ix by Moppi (again)
Obsoleet by Unreal Voodoo
Planet Risk by Andromeda Software Development

All of these ran completely, 100% all the way through, with no visible rendering glitching or or sound errors, despite the advanced age and rushed, quick'n'dirty nature of these productions. Quite amazing, I must say. Cranium's framerate sagged in some scenes, maybe some kind of synchronization issue in the code when running on today's screamingly fast hardware, but it wasn't an issue. Several of these demos even allowed resolutions all the way up to 2560*1440@16:9 aspect and up to 8xMSAA. PCs rock, don't they? :) Heaven7 is actually a fully software driven demo, and its solid modeling raytracing runs fast and smooth on haswell CPU.

I remember most of these demos upon watching them again after many years now. One in particular stands out: Obsoleet. Its graphics is crude, but the story it tells is charming and timeless, and the music is amazing...! Watching it gave me goosebumps and waves and waves of sweet nostalgia swept over me. :) It's a really wonderful demo, go check it out nao! I'd link to the pouet.net page that supposedly hosts it, but IE smartscreen popped up a malware warning about the site. Not sure what's going on with pouet these days, if the site's been abandoned and hijacked by scammers, or if this is just temporary, or maybe a smartscreen false alarm...

I did not watch:
303 by Acme and people
...Due to being so old it runs under DOS only, and I don't have a DOS environment anymore. Dosbox would have been an alternative, except it's so incredibly bloody slow. My old AMD K6-166 OCd to 208MHz was well faster than my previous main rig PC running dosbox (a nehalem i7 920 clocked at 3.4GHz) when playing duke nukem 3D, and this demo uses quite advanced software rendering techniques for its time. It would be anticlimactic to watch it again on a system several hundred percent faster, yet crippled by emulation software... Is there a current DOS version that can do soundblaster emulation on modern intel HD audio codec hardware? I guess not... :( Dos isn't cool anymore. Well, not that it ever really was! :LOL:

I have many folders with old scene demos :D

From your list Grall, I like Heaven7 very much and all FarbRausch productions.

Other than that I do like to watch quite regularly Zoom3 by AND. It's quite amazing and you can even copy few DLL's from XP to get synthesized speech if you run Win Vista or later.
DOS era is ruled by Final Reality and Machines (Dubius) for me. I grown up on C64 and Amiga demos and was quite active on Polish demoscene back in 90' (as in organizing Rush Hours 2 and helping organizing Rush Hours 3 parties on top of being 3D Graphics/Animation artists for few small/crazy productions and one Phuture 303 - Sensor Amiga demo logo for which they forgot to give credits and it took 17h43m to render in LightWave on 040/33MHz).

For interested here is that lame logo:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s56io6nsehtkoeg/P303LogoMopthyLightman.png
P303LogoMopthyLightman.png

Speaking of demos,
In the nvidia game profiles there is one for x29.exe and for years Ive wondered what the hell game is x29 ?
I found out today while googling "Weitek P9100" that its actually a demo from 3dlabs couldnt find a download though :(

Luxury! We only had red ochre and a cave wall.

sorry for derailing the thread

Golden era of the demoscene if you ask me. I have found memories of the "Deer hunt" or "Human Hand Silhouette". No fancy loading times, or noisy floppy disks. Just come up to a stone wall in the back of your cave and look at it. Then came "Fire" and "the wheel"... My jaw just dropped when I saw those man!

I decided to hunt down the mythical x29.exe using wayback machine and I found it
but its pants even if it does run at 3,000 fps

I decided to hunt down the mythical x29.exe using wayback machine and I found it
but its pants even if it does run at 3,000 fps

Can you post some screens from it? I'm curious how it looks like.

BTW I always wanted to go to The Party or Assembly but never had the chance ... I'm still pondering with this idea of quick trip to Denmark (now having a car, a job and some money it should be easier than back in 90' without any of them), just need to convince few friends to join me for a weekend :devilish:

Bit of a drive from torquay to denmark thou, innit? :D

Never been to one of the really big parties. Would have loved to do it back when I was young, now I'm not so sure I can cope with the stress anymore. Bah. Aging sucks. Needs to be patched out of the system, if you ask me...

Bit of a drive from torquay to denmark thou, innit? :D

Never been to one of the really big parties. Would have loved to do it back when I was young, now I'm not so sure I can cope with the stress anymore. Bah. Aging sucks. Needs to be patched out of the system, if you ask me...

Drive is not a problem, I do Torquay - Poland in one go (18h-21h continuous driving plus 2h ferry brake totalling 1952km trip) but would need one day before party to recharge batteries after exhausting drive and at least one day after party before hitting the road again.
I totally agree ageing sucks and I'm not sure I could do 3 days without sleeping or with some sleeping on school tables or hard floors. On the other hand booking hotel room for a sleep is not Scene Party experience in my opinion :p (or have they moved from what I knew and experienced back in 90'?).

I remember going to Intel Outside 2 party in Warsaw back in 1995 with a bunch of guys from my home city of Czestochowa. On the way to the party we took over one carriage of a train and had some great fun with most members being reasonably sober (only 20 bottles of cheap vine for about 25 people), but the coming back after 3 days was surreal! People crawling between train cars, sitting on a real nun lap and chatting about computers, collectively taking off shoes after 3 days without a wash (best way to make sure you have enough sitting space in a train as everyone normal walked to the next cart), etc.!

I was embarrassed by some of my newly met friends behaviour but at the same time it was funny and all done in good spirit! Oh, now I'm nostalgic, I'm going to watch some demos ...

Unfortunately I couldn't get that acme_303 demo to run in DOSBox under Debian. It would just hang/crash. I even tried the fix file and different dos4gw versions.

I found it here:http://www.pouet.net/groups.php?which=42

BTW, Duke3D worked fine for me in DOSBox 0.74 and it's plenty fast, too. That's on a 7 year old Core Duo laptop at 1,7GHz :) I found that using surface instead of opengl (or vice versa) for output and playing with the 'cycles' option (eg cycles=auto 16000) makes a huge difference.

Back