Picking a GPU on par with the rest of my system?

Isn't support for NVidia better overall in games? I remember the Rage debacle for instance. PhysX is better with NVidia if I see it correctly? Borderlands 2 has super cool physics...what about AMD in this case? Just wondering, no offence intended, as I asked myself which GPU to go some weeks ago and decided for a NVidia because of all the troubles I heard.

PhysX is ONLY Nvidia.

No, it runs on CPU too, but nvidia deliberately cripples it : single-threaded x87 code (and I wonder what's done on 64bit systems).
This annoys me as I am pro-nvidia, but in some way they are effectively still evil. Dunno if the status of PhysX on CPU has changed.
A game can probably use PhysX libraries no matter what, but reserve the heavier effects for when GPU acceleration is present.

Someone would need to reimplement it (in the same way Wine implements Windows APIs), but using multiple threads and SSE2/SSE3 or higher. But it must be patented to hell, so if Intel or AMD or maybe someone like Lucidlogix did it, they would probably be cease&desisted or sued.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back