HTTP-FUSE PS3-Linux (a framework of Internet boot for PS3 Linux)

one

Unruly Member
Veteran
HTTP-FUSE PS3-Linux has been released for using Linux on PS3 without installation. Basically the latest version of kboot downloads necessary files in Ubuntu 7.04 with CELL SDK 2.1 on demand from internet, so you need at least a flash to store kboot. What it's different from LiveCD is it's updated in remote distribution sites unlike a static CD image.

http://openlab.jp/oscircular/ps3/index.html

Do I understand correctly that you can boot this without installing it onto the harddisk? And then maybe use USB drives or other forms of storage to save your data if you have any?

That'd be pretty nifty.

That sounds pretty interesting. I don't have much in the way of USB storage to spare atm, so it'll be a while before I can give that a whirl.
I'm not saying this for the first time today, but for the PS3's Open System to be at all meaningful, and to reach its potential (significant target for homebrew software) there needs to be something that any barely literate user can set up and configure with a minimum of hassle and time. Typing in kboot parameters doesn't sound quite like that, but if it's just that one line, and the remainder of the experience is smooth, it might already be a huge step forward from what we've had prior.

That sounds pretty interesting. I don't have much in the way of USB storage to spare atm, so it'll be a while before I can give that a whirl.
I'm not saying this for the first time today, but for the PS3's Open System to be at all meaningful, and to reach its potential (significant target for homebrew software) there needs to be something that any barely literate user can set up and configure with a minimum of hassle and time. Typing in kboot parameters doesn't sound quite like that, but if it's just that one line, and the remainder of the experience is smooth, it might already be a huge step forward from what we've had prior.
Why would you need to type kboot parameters? With livecds the OS is autoloaded without typing anything.

Why would you need to type kboot parameters? With livecds the OS is autoloaded without typing anything.
That's what the instructions say.
As for live-CDs, I'm not happy with them either. The Ubuntu 7.04 release had some pretty big issues with the screen resolutions (very low res out of the box, need a special console utility to configure, rampant overscan), last time I checked, not to mention the installation doesn't even boot without correcting the boot device entry in some file (which doesn't count for live-CD usage, alright).

YDL has its fair share of usability problems as well, between E17 and the nondescript package management frontend.

No, I don't think PS3 Linux is where it should be. I can put up with it, and you can put up with it, and that's fine, but we still need progress in that area to make it an option for a wider audience. Tinkering with Cell is fun and all, but it's nothing compared to what can happen if you build something that actually has a userbase. PS3 Linux isn't accessible enough to support its own software ecosystem yet IMO. That was my point.

And for the record, I haven't paid much attention to what's happening in Gentoo land. If they have already released the perfect PS3 live-CD, somebody smack me.

Back