How's the PSX (PS2 + DVDRW) doing?

I think the only big questions left on that are "When is it coming out?" and "What is the price?"

After that we can start all the conjecture at how well it will do or not again, and what they might be trying to do with it or SHOULD be doing with it. :) But until Sony makes another announcement to go by, we don't have any solid info to talk about. I would assume it comes soon, though, as it's at least supposed to be released "this year."

I'm on the verge of buying a recordable dvd or dvd/hd combo for my hometheater. If PSX will be priced about $700, I think I'll wait and buy it instead, but only if it will come to europe early next year.

Heck, if you're on the verge you might as well. ^_^ Even if it comes out at $800 or so, it'd still be worth it, provided one is looking for a good set-top DVD-R and would love the PVR capabilities. (Also provided it delivers them with quality, of course.) At that point the PS2's just icing on the cake. ;)

Problem is that from a gamer's standpoint it's not that attractive even at lower prices, so one wonders just how the thing will be received.

If they could get it in the $500-600 range, though, it'd be stupid-good and succeed no matter WHAT! Hehe... I just can't imagine them being able to bring it out that low.

I rather buy things seperate instead of those all-in-one. I rather just buy a HTPC and PS2(may be getting a cheap progressive scan DVD player too) instead of PSX simply because if one device is screwed up, I could always get it replace(and not send everything in).

Yes, but as with most combined-purpose machines, you get more value out of buying them together. Meanwhile, each gains some extra functionality from the others that it might not have on their own. The key is bringing all of them to light at good quality--perhaps with some enticing extras that other individual pieces wouldn't offer--and bring them out at a price low enough that people HAVE to snap them up.

If I were seriously looking for a high-capacity PVR and/or set-top DVD burner on my own, the PSX automatically comes into consideration. If the extras are desirable and the price not too burdensome...? Well then, that is a sale.

Back