How's about me and Russ moderate Politics/Religion?

Dig and Russ for Political Lounge Mods?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the RPSC forum is actually quite needed. A lot of people used to avoid the General Discussion forum because it was overrun by political posts and debates they didn't want to have anything to do with. In fact I imagine some think the whole idea is .. for lack of a better word "uncool". I don't care personally I've always been intrigued by politics. I thought it was actually a nice addition to the forum. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so.

I don't think that forum should be moderated because of its political nature. Freedom of speech should rule there.

I have a simple suggestion. If someone consistently stoops to personal insults, ad hominem attacks, and the like (idiot, moron, dumbass, stupid, poor, retarded etc etc) then simply simply revoke their posting privileges, and start them out after a temporary ban on 1 post per day limit, until they prove they can post messages as an adult.

DemoCoder said:
I have a simple suggestion. If someone consistently stoops to personal insults, ad hominem attacks, and the like (idiot, moron, dumbass, stupid, poor, retarded etc etc) then simply simply revoke their posting privileges, and start them out after a temporary ban on 1 post per day limit, until they prove they can post messages as an adult.

Now there's a pretty good idea, I'll second that!

DemoCoder said:

How about if somebody's posting enourmous amount shitty crap on almost everyday, without anything to say?
Technically spamming.
Or how about starting topics about other forumers? Or include him in a hostile signature?

We can go on...

Starting a post about someone's bad behavior is fair game. Posting messages that you disagree with that don't personally involve you, regardless of whether you think the information contained is valuable or not, isn't.

We're trying to moderate civility. Not opinion.

As an external viewer of the Political Forum and any threads he posts in, T2k is constantly, continuously, aggressively attacking other posters. Whether he's "right" or not, and by the way, he rarely is, that's not the point here.
99% of the time, he posts in an absolutely unacceptable way. And i've pretty much always avoided discussions he "contributes" (term used loosely here) in, so i'm speaking as a totally external and objective viewer.
And, most irritatingly, when someone tries to calm him down or responds to his attacks, he just uses the CTO card (quote: Oh, i'm a CTO, i know better, u're all full of shit, my dick is bigger than urs!!)

Just my 2 pennies.

There are some very well informed inteligent posters on this board who can add a lot of a real world situation far beyond that the TV set presents us. It is the very nature of the internet and what makes it great, something tipified by most on this board. The very fact that there are those on both sides who can do this without resorting to insults to me shows that it is possible, and indeed makes a point far better than the insulting method. Mods or not, I'm also very choosey about topics in that forum since I like a debate not a slagging match.

Here's a question :

Should Reverend moderate the RPSC forum?

Take into account the following :

1) How strict, frank, direct, impolite, etc. I have proven to be when I moderate/admin all the other forums
2) How I have stated I don't visit the RPSC forum often (coz I have said I care very, very little about it)... but on the occasion that I do and I notice threads with continuous flames I will lock it wihout any explanation provided (since it should be obvious that the locking is due to incessant flaming)

For example : I would've locked this thread I started before it reached page 4.

Or should I just continue ignoring that forum (which is something I prefer :) )?

A.) In so far as......."How strict, frank, direct, impolite, etc. I have proven to be when I moderate/admin all the other forums",,,,,,,then yes.

B.) "How I have stated I don't visit the RPSC forum often (coz I have said I care very, very little about it)... but on the occasion that I do and I notice threads with continuous flames I will lock it wihout any explanation provided (since it should be obvious that the locking is due to incessant flaming)"
Since you don't contribute much to that forum it can be argued that you are not biais to one view or another, that is a benifit. Although I would prefer public warnings to individules before locking a thread, I vote yes for you.

Reverend said:
Here's a question :

Take into account the following :

1) How strict, frank, direct, impolite, etc. I have proven to be when I moderate/admin all the other forums
I don't think the RPSC forum would work with strict moderation, some of the subjects that come up are just a tad contraversial and just to hold an opinion in some debates is enough to get some heat going....RPSC needs a bit of flexibility and elbow-room at times to get the ideas out.

2) How I have stated I don't visit the RPSC forum often (coz I have said I care very, very little about it)... but on the occasion that I do and I notice threads with continuous flames I will lock it wihout any explanation provided (since it should be obvious that the locking is due to incessant flaming)
That's the problem I got with the idea of you modding RPSC regularly, you're not really a regular there. (But hey, since it's your site you're always welcome! ;) )

Sometimes what might look like a huge flaming insult could just be a joke in jest between a few of the regulars.

For example : I would've locked this thread I started before it reached page 4.

I sensed that! 8)

Or should I just continue ignoring that forum (which is something I prefer :) )?
No, you gotta maintain B3D to your own standards or you just won't be happy...I think as the election approaches it is going to get hotter in there and some of the more emotional political fanboys are going to nuke themselves, but that should be pretty easy to sort out with a few judiciously applied vacations until after the elections. :)

I think temporary bans for what you view to be the worst offenders would be a good thing, give 'em 3 days off to think about what you mean by "simmer down a bit!"....it'll also send a message to others who may be thinking it is acceptable behavoir.

I'm not trying to knock/complain, just trying to add some constructive input to make it a bit betterer. :)

DemoCoder said:
Starting a post about someone's bad behavior is fair game.

1. it wasn't about somebody's behavior
2. only if you grew up in a ghetto - in other 'class' we don't do such things, you know...

london-boy said:
As an external viewer of the Political Forum and any threads he posts in, T2k is constantly, continuously, aggressively attacking other posters. Whether he's "right" or not, and by the way, he rarely is, that's not the point here.

Since you don't contribute there at all, I think it's telling you think I'm 'rarely' right only... :D

99% of the time, he posts in an absolutely unacceptable way. And i've pretty much always avoided discussions he "contributes" (term used loosely here) in, so i'm speaking as a totally external and objective viewer.

:rolleyes:
I wonder if your comment has anything to do with the fact I stated many times my strong standpoint against gay parenting...

Talk about objectivity... :rolleyes:

And, most irritatingly, when someone tries to calm him down or responds to his attacks, he just uses the CTO card (quote: Oh, i'm a CTO, i know better, u're all full of shit, my dick is bigger than urs!!)

Nothing to comment here - I never said anything like that, never mentioned my position.
You're a liar, period.

My 0.02.

T2k said:
Since you don't contribute there at all, I think it's telling you think I'm 'rarely' right only... :D
:rolleyes:
I wonder if your comment has anything to do with the fact I stated many times my strong standpoint against gay parenting...
Talk about objectivity... :rolleyes:

I did say that "being right or wrong" wasn't the point here. It's the way you put forward your opinions that's really over the top sometimes.

T2k said:

Nothing to comment here - I never said anything like that, never mentioned my position.
You're a liar, period.

My 0.02.

:oops: WHAT CHEEK!!!! Look, u're lucky that i have no time to do a search.
Oh, and calling people names. Proof is in the pudding.

digitalwanderer said:
Hey T2k? You are NOT helping right now! :?

This is the "take it to PMs!" time...

OFF
I know, sorry but I guess after a direct personal attack I have the right to defend myself or at least poiint out when he's lying.

ON
I'd have no problem with Reverend as a mod there, frankly.
The only thing I found a bit strange: how do you want to moderate if you don't visit the forum frequently, Rev? :?:

this thread needs a mod :D

nah.. I love freedom,

The only proper thing to do, for those who resent flame wars, is not to participate in them, and ignore the flames (even without ignore button)...

Can that be sooooo hard?

T2k said:
I know, sorry but I guess after a direct personal attack I have the right to defend myself or at least poiint out when he's lying.
Nope, not in a totally off-topic reply to the subject. That way lies the flames. :(

Personal messages work wonders in those sorts of situations, and you don't have to restrain yourself at all.....very cathartic! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back