How will be the Wii successor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken_masters

Newcomer
We will return to see a powerful machine like Game Cube at his moment? If the Wii philosophy works, maybe they don't need to change it. I like Wii and the control of remote, but also I like nice graphics.

Moved to the General console forum, since it's unlikely there can be any usefull technology discussion on this point.

Nintendo *has* to support HD for the next-gen if they want to continue to produce consoles (other than hand-held, of course).

Yeah I'm really wondering what the heck Nintendo is gonna do next. From my perspective they've kinda backed themselves into a corner.

They sell two low tech consoles, because they could not continue down a high tech path. It became too expensive.

Those two low tech consoles, imo, sell on two gimmicks, motion control and touch sensing.

So it just begs the question..what are Wii2 and DS2 going to look like? I defy anybody to answer me that in a convincing fashion.

I actually think they have one option left in the console space possible for Wii2. Some sort of full 3D motion detection system using cameras. I'm sure MS, SONY, and Nintendo are now busy patenting everything they can get their hands on related to motion control, so I think Sony and MS could copy 3D motion control anyway.

Reggie said the next system will support HD which isnt very strange as HD capable HW wouldnt cost anything 5 years from now. If the wii keeps going strong I think they'll try to do the same as now. Make a console which for that time has low end hardware but make sure they can put it on the market for a relative low price and still make money on the hardware because im pretty sure Iwata is doing LOLLEROMGROFLBBQ every day when he checks the nintendo bank account and sees a 74dollar profit on every european wii they sell.

As for controlls, I wouldnt put my money on anything but I think they'll probably do a improved version of the current controller.

It's fairly simply to provide an estimate for Wii Next. You take the process readily available in the estimated launch year, take the die sizes from the current 90nm Wii and see what you can get easily for that silicon budget.

So if Wii launches in 2011 we probably looking at a 32nm process. If it launches earlier 45nm is more likely, IMO.

Is the current size of the CPU of the Wii really just 19 mm2? :oops:
http://www.beyond3d.com/content/articles/18/

If that´s the case a CPU on a 19 mm2 die on a 32 nm process will likely have less transistors than the current version of Cell in the PS3.

Yep, it really is that tiny. Personally, I am 100% sure we won't see anything beyond X360 / PS3 level and I'd even say it's indeed likely that Wii2 will be not as powerful as X360 or PS3, IMHO.

x360/ps3 hardware should be down enough to build a 200dollar wii in 4 to 5 years wouldnt it? If you look at how cheap quadcore cpu's already are and thats even with profits for the store and amd/intel you'd think that with a die shrink and 4 years time the price should easily be 1/3 of what its now? Ofcourse there are alot more parts which might or might not drop in price so much but I suppose MS and Sony expect their consoles to atleast not lose money in 4 to 5 years when they are down to the 200dollar or less price point.

They're going retro next time...

p484

We will return to see a powerful machine like Game Cube at his moment? If the Wii philosophy works, maybe they don't need to change it. I like Wii and the control of remote, but also I like nice graphics.

while I always hope for the absolute most powerful machine possible, I'm expecting something more current for the time (2011-2012) than Wii was. at least something as modern as Gamecube was in 2001. now, Gamecube wasn't state of the art in 2001 but it was still pretty damn good.

I expect graphics to be significantly better than Xbox 360 and PlayStation3. possibly even somewhat better than the most state-of-the-art PC graphics of today. And yet, that would still be obsolete by 2011-2012.

Even if that's the case, I'd expect Wii HD to handle all HD resolutions better than the 360 and the PS3. that means 1080p with "next-gen" looking graphics at smooth framerates.

might not be as powerful as Xbox720 or PS4, but I expect a huge leap above Wii.

It'll do HD and use whichever of HDDVD or Bluray that wins the format war as media. And they'll cram in whatever they can sell for about $300. I expect them to 1up the controller, but not deviate too far from what the Wii uses. Maybe something to replace the accelerometers for better precision. Maybe the left and right hand remotes will be identical and equally precise. I'm sure the hardware will be more similar to xbox360 than the PS3, with multi-core general processors. I think they have backwards compatibility, and it will be software based emulation to keep the cost down. That's about all you could possible expect right now, with some guessing on the controller. Kind of early for this conversation.

Oh, and it will read your mind.

It'll do HD, have maybe 256 MB of RAM, and the same basic architecture they have now--fixed function GPU, and some ancient PPC. They're trying to keep dev costs now, and more power won't achieve that. The controller will have an extra button or two and of course whatever the latest motion-tracking hardware is, but that's about it. I wouldn't expect much out of it.

Considering how successful the Wii is, it's probably a question of how the Wii has affected Sony and MS. The two companies are probably throttling back any any plans, if they had any, to develop any sort of advanced high end system. The mainstream doesn't want the "Ferrari of consoles" as can be seen by the lackluster PS3 sales. They just want something that's better than the last generation, but not so much that it will cost them half a month's rent (or a full month for some). I think the next generation will go back to the $299-350 starting price for a console for all players. No more $600 beasts. That's the cheapo public for you.

Considering how successful the Wii is, it's probably a question of how the Wii has affected Sony and MS. The two companies are probably throttling back any any plans, if they had any, to develop any sort of advanced high end system. The mainstream doesn't want the "Ferrari of consoles" as can be seen by the lackluster PS3 sales. They just want something that's better than the last generation, but not so much that it will cost them half a month's rent (or a full month for some). I think the next generation will go back to the $299-350 starting price for a console for all players. No more $600 beasts. That's the cheapo public for you.

There are still more people who have bought 360's and PS3s than have bought the Wii. If all 3 companies released a Wii, I think you might see a shrinking market instead of a growing one.

Even if that's the case, I'd expect Wii HD to handle all HD resolutions better than the 360 and the PS3. that means 1080p with "next-gen" looking graphics at smooth framerates.

might not be as powerful as Xbox720 or PS4, but I expect a huge leap above Wii.

I reckon Wii HD will be what it is, Wii like graphics in 720p or 1080p. Unless their next gimmick would need more more than that.

Maybe the gimmick will be like dual screen, they'll make some technological improvement to ideas that they already tried before. Perhaps something like Virtualboy, only doing it proper this time, I think the technology will allow that sort of thing in 5-6 years.

Whatever it is, I don't think they'll release another console without any gimmick, like Gamecube.

Considering how successful the Wii is, it's probably a question of how the Wii has affected Sony and MS. The two companies are probably throttling back any any plans, if they had any, to develop any sort of advanced high end system.

Well, that's honestly my fear of the moment as far as next-gen goes. Sony's spending gen-to-gen has really been the driver of the recent "arms races"; if they feel the need to take it easy for PS4, I doubt MS will throw the opportunity away to scale back as well. Not that it's a big deal in real terms, but I think a lot of us here being technology buffs take some pleasure in the EE/GS and Cell-style "moon missions," as well as the competitions moves to counter.

There are still more people who have bought 360's and PS3s than have bought the Wii. If all 3 companies released a Wii, I think you might see a shrinking market instead of a growing one.
If you combine August's 360 and PS3 sales, they barely match the Wii's by itself. Pretty sad, no, to have to combine with your competitor just to match your other competitor? In addition, MS and Sony are losing a boatload of money while Nintendo is raking in the profits. Both companies must be seriously evaluating the question, is it worth it to have an "arms race" and lose billions? With what we've seen in current gen stuff from both the PS3 and 360, technophiles might have visions of what is possible 4 years from now, but will probably be disappointed if the companies decide not to push the edge as they did this gen. Any big graphical acheivments will be done by ingenuity rather than brute force (more ram, more transistors).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back