How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

Anecdotal; popped into my local Game and they only had 3 - that's three - people pre-order the XSS (with me being one)...and they had an allocation of 8. They had 48 XSX preorders.

And now we know why Amazon tanked their next-gen console pre-order sales experience -- https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/amazon-luna-cloud-gaming-2020.62028/

I'm convinced were it not for Amazon's entry into game streaming they would have had clear and concise landing pages and huge fan fare all across Amazon going on for Next-Gen Sony PS5 and Microsoft Xbox Series X and S.

Just looking at the screen of those Luna games, it looks like causal, old games, not the to-selling games on consoles these days.

And now we know why Amazon tanked their next-gen console pre-order sales experience -- https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/amazon-luna-cloud-gaming-2020.62028/

I'm convinced were it not for Amazon's entry into game streaming they would have had clear and concise landing pages and huge fan fare all across Amazon going on for Next-Gen Sony PS5 and Microsoft Xbox Series X and S.

Yeah I found it interesting that the Amazon pre-order page went live an hour after everyone else and as far I can tell the Series S page never went live (or never even existed)

Edit: (clarifying that I am talking about Canada)

Amazon UK did have a clear, detailed landing page for PS5, it was there over a month before launch, explaining the new console technology and optional accessories that would be available. This disappeared briefly before launch, then re-appeared for launch with the accessories automatically appearing as stock was released. Series S and X didn't but I assumed the disparity here was how each manufacturer decided to support retailing marketing.

I can't fathom why Amazon would treat the consoles differently.

Well I went ahead and preordered/paid Series X as well. Having skipped Xbox One, I'm looking forward to playing One X-versions of many of the games on that platform. My order says that it will hit stock 10th of November instead of 3rd like the initial batch, so Maybe I get it on launch day or at worst not much later, if they ship it around that date. I managed to get 36 months of Live gold for 137€ and did the Gamepass Ultimate conversion with 1€ on top. Very happy about that as it will bring a ton of new content for me whether already released or new upcoming games.

I have one unused Xbox One controller laying around, is that fully functional with the new consoles as in, is it missing any major/minor functionality?

I have one unused Xbox One controller laying around, is that fully functional with the new consoles as in, is it missing any major/minor functionality?

Its fully functional on Series X|S consoles. One minor feature the new controllers have is a dedicated "share" button. You can still get that functionality using the old way, quick hitting the center XBox Button then X/Y for video/screenshot when the Guide pops up.

Most of the difference is in ergonomics and grips, maybe some adjustments to triggers and bumpers depending how old that Xbox One controller is.

The only hardware not compatible are Kinect device and X360 controllers (which wasn't compatible with Xbox One anyways).

It basically confirms what we've heard anecdotally, that there is less product available from Sony.

Or maybe it could be that preorders for the PS5 started September 16, most of which disappeared within the first 24 hours, and when the SeriesX's preorders started a week later on September 22 (the day which that tweet refers to), there were no PS5's available for preorder.

Or maybe it could be that preorders for the PS5 started September 16, most of which disappeared within the first 24 hours, and when the SeriesX's preorders started a week later on September 22 (the day which that tweet refers to), there were no PS5's available for preorder.
Sony released a smaller stock on the 16th, that's why there is a second one today and there might be a 3rd and 4th stock coming. There should be no more stocks of xbox until Nov 10.

Sony released a smaller stock on the 16th, that's why there is a second one today and there might be a 3rd and 4th stock coming. There should be no more stocks of xbox until Nov 10.
If true, this only means Sony is choosing to partition their available stock until release, not that Sony has less product.

If true, this only means Sony is choosing to partition their available stock until release, not that Sony has less product.
Yea I never said they had less Preorders overall; just the way they do allocations vs MS.

both should have about 1M in preorders. It’s unlikely they could produce more than they did for this generation.

It could mean a lot of things. What we know is that they made less available for preorder so far.

Is their second batch going to be a trickle or a significant amount?

They will both have units available for launch. Is MS going to have more available for retailers as Sony sells more through preorder?

We won't really know until after black friday, but it wouldn't surprise me if through that period they ship similar numbers.

It could mean a lot of things. What we know is that they made less available for preorder so far.

Is their second batch going to be a trickle or a significant amount?

They will both have units available for launch. Is MS going to have more available for retailers as Sony sells more through preorder?

We won't really know until after black friday, but it wouldn't surprise me if through that period they ship similar numbers.
I’ll ask today. I’m lining up again in a bit

You don't know what Sony released on the 16th. It's your assumption that they had smaller stock. For all we know, Sony have much more stock than MS. I guess the numbers come March will tell unless MS doesn't release their numbers which happened from the middle of current gen onwards.

You don't know what Sony released on the 16th. It's your assumption that they had smaller stock. For all we know, Sony have much more stock than MS. I guess the numbers come March will tell unless MS doesn't release their numbers which happened from the middle of current gen onwards.
The employees told me up to 30 depending on the store some had 10. Todays allocation is 100.

Again, expect the same position for PS5 as for PS4 - new stock appearing weekly. I cannot fathom what the hell Microsoft's manufacturing/shipping process is. Maybe they couldn't get cargo capacity and Sony had plenty booked because they sell masses of consumer hardware. :???:

Or maybe Microsoft knew what their entire production would be for preorders and released that to the stores. Why do slow trickles of preorders when you should have a handle on how many you can produce and ship between the start and release day? And also how many you want available to have in stock in the stores?

Again, expect the same position for PS5 as for PS4 - new stock appearing weekly. I cannot fathom what the hell Microsoft's manufacturing/shipping process is. Maybe they couldn't get cargo capacity and Sony had plenty booked because they sell masses of consumer hardware. :???:
It was disorganized according to the manager there. They are still having issues with knowing what their allocations were the morning of.

There's no reason to assume that PS5 will have larger pre-orders over PS4. There was no covid back then, the prices were 399 (In Canada too!) but is now $629. And coming off a 8 year generation given that I think PS4 and PS5 will likely sell the same number of pre-orders which is 1-1.2M units in North America.

Demand is higher for PS5, but pretty sure there is enough demand such that Xbox will also be limited to 1-1.2M units as well.

When I left the store the lineup only made it to about 40 max. Afterwards no line. So there's about 60 units left in that store that people can waltz in and grab.

I don't think it really matters how they cut it up.

tldr; got mine. thankfully. see you all launch day

Last edited:
Or maybe Microsoft knew what their entire production would be for preorders and released that to the stores. Why do slow trickles of preorders when you should have a handle on how many you can produce and ship between the start and release day? And also how many you want available to have in stock in the stores?

Sony's process is straight forward, they release stock to retailers when they are certain stock will reach retailers. Consoles travelling by surface, particularly cargo ships, takes weeks or months to get to their destination and many things can impact those schedules on a daily basis.

Back