How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

And that's what I am talking about. You know, the people who buy the vast majority of consoles

True. I reported yesterday that the first real non-internet/non-tech site PR was seen yesterday by me regarding next gen consoles. I think the real show has yet to takeoff. It's abit too early to make the call who has done better. So far it seems Sony has done better, but let's atleast wait untill we are actually there to make that statement ;)

I don't doubt Sony have a mindshare lead at this point as they are the market leader in the product category. At least among people who are paying attention However, sales this holiday will be determined by production and distribution not mindshare. Barring a complete absence of execution on their launches.

I don't doubt Sony have a mindshare lead at this point as they are the market leader in the product category. At least among people who are paying attention However, sales this holiday will be determined by production and distribution not mindshare. Barring a complete absence of execution on their launches.

What are the known launch lineups?

i have no doubt PS5 will outsell XsX.
But the interesting part will be with XsS, if priced very agressively, i wonder how it can do, if advertised right, a lot of parents could go the XsS way for their children.
i might even bite if it's something like 200€.

i have no doubt PS5 will outsell XsX.
But the interesting part will be with XsS, if priced very agressively, i wonder how it can do, if advertised right, a lot of parents could go the XsS way for their children.
i might even bite if it's something like 200€.
For the sake of the discussion this should be the position most people should take. It's pretty unrealistic to expect Xbox to outsell PS5. To do this, they would effectively have to double their sales of this generation ~80M. I'm not necessarily sure if that is their goal or what not.

The real question is whether they will have a better performing generation than this generation. Do we expect them to do better than the 40~50M units by the end of this generation.

Last edited:
I suspect if people are expecting a big traditional marketing push by xbox they will probably end up being disappointed.

Xbox has moved away (in general) from that form of marketing, and I doubt that will change for this release.

1 think that was the thinking that caused the XO to falter.
Sure it was selling out early days but it was obvious that mindshare just wasn't strong even from the start.
It's about mindshare and momentum, even when selling out.

The trouble is waiting until your past the initial selling out phase can give you a serious false sense of how your going to perform.

I think you're wrong.

I think xo failures were about price, power, kinect and ecosystem messaging. All of which look to be xbox advantages this time.(minus kinect, but that's what the people wanted)

I think you're wrong.

I think xo failures were about price, power, kinect and ecosystem messaging. All of which look to be xbox advantages this time.(minus kinect, but that's what the people wanted)
Yet all that doesn't preclude what I said. Everything that you just highlighted is what acfected mindshare and momentum.
XO sold out just as expected during launch but that wasn't an indication of how it was going to do after its initial launch period.
All that did was mask the underlying issues.

Yet all that doesn't preclude what I said. Everything that you just highlighted is what acfected mindshare and momentum.
XO sold out just as expected during launch but that wasn't an indication of how it was going to do after its initial launch period.
All that did was mask the underlying issues.

The underlying issues being power, performance and price not mindshare.

So your opinion is 1st party successes on Sony's side didn't contribute substantially or at all to the PS4 getting over twice the global sales of the xbox one? Or am I reading this wrong?

Not near as much as you think. I think price is the main mover of boxes and you can't play halo on a ps4.

Back