How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

Have fun with this one gents. Don't take too seriously a serious report would be much more in-depth about a lot of things, and don't go trying to debate me to death.. I really don't care. But I want to showcase how despite how people may feel about Halo, in this case Halo Infinite, I think most people don't (or perhaps they do, and thus continue to troll it) the weight it has on the gaming community.
This is with Spider Man: MM trailer at 13.8M, HZFW at 7M vs Halo's @ 4M

You're welcome to try to come up for a reason why this is the way it is, link is below. And yes, those little blips is when PS5 dropped it's game announcements.
You should also look at the related queries here's a fun one:
Spider Man: MM
1. PS5 Release date
2. Will spider man MM be on PS4
3. PS5 Price
4. Is spider man MM on PS4
5. Playstation 5

People asking as well if HZFW will be on PS4!

well, I know the answer to 2 of those!

Whether it's a mistake is up to your write-up. But just want to share some data here for everyone to ponder on.

From this result, MS wants you to keep trashing it. lol

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=spider man miles morales,Halo Infinite,Horizon Forbidden West

0WsLUiD.jpg

I think that MS have just given up on the console business as an area they can conquer.
I just think their PR is just all over the place.
Started of bad and continued as such.
It's the worst part of xbox.

It's so bad it's like they seeded the idea themselves that gamepass and next gen is in someway mutually exclusive when it's not.

So I don't think it's that they don't care about console side of things, bad pr and bad forsight (imo) about not having some 1P exclusives earlier than who knows how far out.

I don't have any confidence in them getting on top of their pr either, although keeping fingers crossed for them.

Try searching what people search, like simply horizon zero dawn and spiderman to have more realistic curves.

Views are one thing but what is the result of the views? Indifference, gotta buy this, holy shit what a dumpster fire, avoid,... Time will show how the sales go.

Have fun with this one gents. Don't take too seriously a serious report would be much more in-depth about a lot of things, and don't go trying to debate me to death.. I really don't care. But I want to showcase how despite how people may feel about Halo, in this case Halo Infinite, I think most people don't (or perhaps they do, and thus continue to troll it) the weight it has on the gaming community.
This is with Spider Man: MM trailer at 13.8M, HZFW at 7M vs Halo's @ 4M

yes but what about bing trends ?

Spider Man: MM
2. Will spider man MM be on PS4
4. Is spider man MM on PS4

Answer: No, No!

Why? Because it will have raytracing most likely and because it will do 60fps. Most likely it will do some other things we haven't seen yet that the PS4 can't do.

Yeah misleading. The system seems broken.

upload_2020-7-27_19-42-48.png
upload_2020-7-27_19-44-7.png

Last edited:
Yeah misleading. The system seems broken.

View attachment 4375
View attachment 4376
the y axis is a rating. It's comparative.

Numbers represent search interest relative to the highest point on the chart for the given region and time. A value of 100 is the peak popularity for the term. A value of 50 means that the term is half as popular. A score of 0 means there was not enough data for this term.

Try searching what people search, like simply horizon zero dawn and spiderman to have more realistic curves.
those will pull in movies, comics etc.
horizon zero dawn shows up in related searches, but that would include steam now...

xbox growth is skyrocketing and Ms is investing in more and more studios. They certainly want Xbox to succeed and continue to make more money. But they are going to continue to push consoles foward. They just aren't focusing on just consoles anymore because its more than that

But what they are peddling is an end to the unique experience that only new generations of consoles bring. They don't seem capable or are unwilling to do this anymore with the Xbox, console gaming is an adventure into the unknown with every generation and the fact that each generation has its own special sauce that is only available machines of that generation is what makes it special. What MS is telling us that we never have to buy another new console or games machine again. LIke Netflix you'll be able to game on any device you own. But by being bound to the specification of the lowest denominator they can never achieve the uniqueness of console gaming. It would be like Netflix having to produce media that looked good on an on 12" Black and White CRT as well as 100" OLED 8K screen.

the y axis is a rating. It's comparative.

Numbers represent search interest relative to the highest point on the chart for the given region and time. A value of 100 is the peak popularity for the term. A value of 50 means that the term is half as popular. A score of 0 means there was not enough data for this term.
Erm. Do the search per name and have a look because I don't see a difference. It's a worldwide search yet if you have a look at the single search, MM is currently at 14 and HFW at 11 yet in your graph(and when I copy your link and search and I get the same result) it shows MM has 3 and HFW has 1.

When you just search MM and HFW you get 13 and 7. The figure changes even though nothing else does.

Again, it's misleading.

Last edited:
Yes, the regions are shown.
For the original graph, I set to worldwide. So it will accumulate everything.
It's still misleading. Or I am missing something. I still think the system is borked. The results are set to WW to no difference.

upload_2020-7-27_20-28-26.png
upload_2020-7-27_20-29-15.png
upload_2020-7-27_20-28-38.png
upload_2020-7-27_20-29-49.png

And for good measure and still WW.

upload_2020-7-27_20-38-11.png
upload_2020-7-27_20-40-3.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-27_20-39-48.png
    upload_2020-7-27_20-39-48.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:
From this result, MS wants you to keep trashing it. lol
My question is how much more would it have been if it looked good, or maybe better way to put it, instead of the trashing, had positive reports.

You look at it as inspite of, I see it as this shows just how big it could've been.

The thirst for halo was real, as proven by how those tweets blew up.
It could seriously shift consoles, a lot more consoles.
Some people thought halo was a spent force, imagine if it came out the gates impressing.

It's still misleading. Or I am missing something. I still think the system is borked. The results are set to WW to no difference.

View attachment 4380
View attachment 4382
View attachment 4381
View attachment 4383
Sorry, I'm misunderstanding? Which part is misleading?

And for good measure and still WW.

View attachment 4384
What part is misleading? I can help answer the questions, but I need to understand what aspect you need clarification on.

Last edited:
But what they are peddling is an end to the unique experience that only new generations of consoles bring. They don't seem capable or are unwilling to do this anymore with the Xbox, console gaming is an adventure into the unknown with every generation and the fact that each generation has its own special sauce that is only available machines of that generation is what makes it special. What MS is telling us that we never have to buy another new console or games machine again. LIke Netflix you'll be able to game on any device you own. But by being bound to the specification of the lowest denominator they can never achieve the uniqueness of console gaming. It would be like Netflix having to produce media that looked good on an on 12" Black and White CRT as well as 100" OLED 8K screen.
what experience ?

If your talking about better graphics that happens on a sliding scale with pcs. Its been happening since I was a child and I'm almost 40. Consoles just have a giant leap forward because of the time between releases. But at the same time Sony with their half step console the ps4 pro disrupted that.

Take Netflix , you laugh now but I was getting dvds when I had a 1080p tv from netflix still. They had to mail them to me and i had to mail them back. They don't still do that because as time went on more people had faster internet and higher resolution screens. Right now you have to pay extra for 4k streaming. 1080p streaming is the norm. So they still have legacy users on their platform.

MS will continue to move forward as time goes on. xbox one will give way to series x just like ps4 will give way to ps5. at some point xsx will give way to the next thing also. The tail just becomes longer. Do you think everyone who bought a ps4 this year is gong to buy a ps5 in five months ? But I am sure there will be a lot of ps4 owners who bought it for spiderman only to find out the sequel or add on or whatever this ends up being content wise is only on the ps5

Back