How to handle this? * Job offers*

Cheezdoodles

+ 1
Veteran
2 days ago i got a part time job at a company that is run by my gf's brother.

Problem is that today, the biggest merchant bank in scandinavia called me up and they want to hire me :)

The bank job looks more interesting and will give much bigger career possibilities in the future. My question is then, how can i nicely tell my gf's brother that i want to leave :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tell him you've had an exciting full-time job offer with lots of potential. Thank him for giving you a job, but unless he's not very nice, he'll understand it's a big opportunity for you rather than a part-time job at a small company.

If he gets the hump because it's an inconvenience to him, then sod him. It's not like you would miss out on a good opportunity not to hurt his girly-man feelings.

Exactly what BZB said. Just be polite and gracious for the opportunity, but try not to "burn your bridges".

Of course I don't know your girlfriend's brother, but I would imagine that since you know him through your girlfriend, it should make things easier. It shouldn't be too hard for him to understand that getting a full time job from a bank is better for you than some part time job, unless you have made him some promises etc.

What does your girlfriend say about this?

Let him know and any decent guy will congratulate you and be excited you've got such a great opportunity.

Also, if you can, try to arrange to stay for at least 2 weeks unless he can afford to let you go. This is to give him time to find a replacement so it doesn't put his business (and his workers) under undue stress due to you leaving unexpectedly.

As a business owner he'll really appreciate that, unless your leaving won't impact the business or workload of the other workers in any way.

Regards,
SB

Also, if you can, try to arrange to stay for at least 2 weeks unless he can afford to let you go. This is to give him time to find a replacement so it doesn't put his business (and his workers) under undue stress due to you leaving unexpectedly.

As a business owner he'll really appreciate that, unless your leaving won't impact the business or workload of the other workers in any way.

Regards,
SB

Considering it's a part time job that he got two days ago, it's kind of hard to think that him leaving would cause big harm.

Considering it's a part time job that he got two days ago, it's kind of hard to think that him leaving would cause big harm.

You'd be surprised, if he has to arrange for classifieds advertising a job opening or arranging with local unemployment services to have his business added to their system for job seekers, etc.

But yeah, it's a lot less of an impact than a fulltime employee in a mission critical job suddenly up and leaving.

Still it's best to offer it to the business. If it really isn't a burden most Business owners will let you know it's just peachy to take off right away. And in the future when potential employer's start calling you past employer's it'll reflect well on you. Always good to practice good habits, there's no drawbacks.

Regards,
SB

Still it's best to offer it to the business. If it really isn't a burden most Business owners will let you know it's just peachy to take off right away. And in the future when potential employer's start calling you past employer's it'll reflect well on you. Always good to practice good habits, there's no drawbacks.

Agree with this one.

Told them the same day i got the offer (same day i posted),

they where totally cool about it, and basically said that i would be moron not to take the banking job :)

Back