How Sony gets the cars for Gran Turismo 4!

McFly

Veteran
http://www.tvrcc.com/home/home_granturismo2003.htm

Read it, very interesting. Can't wait for this game!

I quote the most important part here:

As we were with our cars Sony processed ours first and left the company demonstrators till later - each step is explained below.

1. Long Distance
I had to park my car in a marked box in quite a wide open space while 3 photographers took pictures from a distance, 1 photographer at '9 O'clock' was about 100 meters away, 1 at '11 O'clock' was about 50M away and 1 at '1 O'clock' was again about 50M away. After each photographer signaled to the marshal they had finished I had to turn my car around and put it back in the same box, at exactly the same angle - I know because he made me re-align my car by about 2 degrees, while they took some more pictures. I don't know how many they took but each time I had to leave my car for 3 or 4 minutes before they signaled they had finished. The other 2 TVRs had to repeat this with the roof up and with the roof down.

2. Detail
Next I had to park my car while this guy took numerous pictures with a small handheld digital camera. He took roughly a picture every 5 seconds from every angle of every detail on the car for about 10 - 12 minutes. I wouldn't be surprised if he took 150 pictures. He took pictures with the sunroof closed and open, through the sunroof of the seats, the pedals, interior and exterior door handles all exterior lights, badges, wheels, everything!

3. Colour Check
While the detail photos were being taken another chap came and checked the colour with a machine he held on the bodywork, he did this in 3 or 4 places on the car.

4. Mapping
This stage was strange, I must admit I didn't understand what was going on here. The car was parked in a white tent, they took pictures of the lights when illuminated - every light including reversing light, as this is dash switch operated I didn't really know if it would work as I don't use it but he seemed satisfied so it must have.

They then position 3 tripods around the car - 1 in front, 1 behind and 1 at the side while a guy went around with a large handheld device (it might have been a camera) taking what I think were 3D images. On each tripod was a SLR camera with the back removed, the shutter held open and a flashgun pointing through the aperture and lens of the camera, all 3 flashguns would fire each time he took an image.

5. Sound Recording
Next was the sound recording which was quite fun, this was a little way away from the other activities just along Millbrook’s 1 mile straight. One microphone was positioned 1 meter from the exhaust at 45% and another about a meter above the engine with the bonnet open, I had to give the sound engineer a few revs so he could set his recording levels and then switch the engine off. The car was then started and left to idle for 30 seconds then revved to 2,000rpm held for 10 seconds and back to idle, to 3,000rpm for 10 seconds and back to idle, repeated for 4,000 and 5,000rpm each time back to idle. They then recorded the horn with the bonnet open and closed.

6. Measurement Checking
A few measurements were taken with a good old tape measure and logged on a chart.

7. Final photo
The car was then parked on a mark along the 1-mile straight and a final photo taken by what looked like a high quality camera

A camera crew from Top Gear along with presenter Richard Hammond (small thin one) was filming during the morning and he was interviewing 2 Japanese gentlemen as I drove to the POD for some lunch. This was excellent, choice of Sushi, Lamb Cutlets or freshly cooked Wild Mushrooms and choice of salads followed by coffee trifle and exotic fruits.

Speaking with a guy from Sony UK he said that this road show was going to Lotus in Norfolk on the Thursday and then off to France next week. Approximately 700 cars will be included in the game - each one taking 1-man month to program into the game. All the people involved in the processes above were Japanese members of the Gran Turismo production team; very few of them spoke much English.

A very interesting and enjoyable day was had. Altogether I was in Millbrook for about 5 hours and was given a free tank of fuel by Sony on leaving (although I only had 10 litres as I don't like driving around in such an old car with more fuel than necessary).

I hope my car does justice to the Vixen model and to the TVR marque if it should appear in the game.

Very interesting and the 700 cars sound much more believable then those 2000 cars posted some time ago.

Fredi

Speaking with a guy from Sony UK he said that this road show was going to Lotus in Norfolk on the Thursday

Wow! I hope they include the Esprit V8-SE in its last and final version. It's really sad that Lotus can't afford to continue manufactoring the car... :cry:

Actually, since the various Elise's will be in, what would be real cool is if they'd include the Esthi < 2.4, which is the first officially tuned Elise by a German tuning company. The car features highly modificated chassy (wider, longer, more agressive), a tuned Audi RS4 engine (bitturbo @ 420 hp). The car's weight hits in at just less than 1000kg, which makes the car have a weight/power ratio of less than 2.4 kg/hp (hence the name)!

The handling should be immense... I once had the pleasure of driving the Audio RS4 on some nice roads up into the mountains. I can only say, boy is the car fast. The rate at which it accelerates past 200km/h up to around 260km/h is not bad for a car such as this. I can't hope to imagine how this engine and then some performs in a 1000kg Elise... 8)

Ok, I'll stop now... :LOL:

I really hope the can include the McLaren F1 GTR this time aswell. :)

I heard they will have about 40 (?) Ferraries included, too!

I hope they will have more F1 cars included as I really loved the F1 races in GT3 as they where the most challenging ones. (The last F1 championship in the game)

Fredi

megateto said:
They then recorded the horn with the bonnet open and closed.

This can't lead us to think about damage, right?
Exactly what I was thinking... Very interesting!

And this one:
He took pictures with the sunroof closed and open, through the sunroof of the seats, the pedals, interior and exterior door handles all exterior lights, badges, wheels, everything!
Will we be getting interiors?

bukima said:
Will we be getting interiors?

Sounds like a sure thing. :)

Or maybe they just want to have as much information as possible of any car for the PS3 version (GT 5).

Fredi

they going to have some 70 muscle cars ? Thats all i want haha .

Sounds like it will be a good game .

So this is supposed to be Grand Touring eh? Or shall I say Gran Turismo. One thing's for sure, and that's that the 3000GT will be a strong competitor in the game yet again. It's no secret that a 3600 lb AWD car that ends up doing 9's on the 400m / 1/4 mi. is loved by Polyphony Digital. Hell, the car has just barely broken into mid 10's in real life. But enough about the GTO.

What I'm rather interested in is taking out the F1 races and cars. I know some people like that aspect of the game, but it shouldn't really be in the meat of the game. I wouldn't mind a separate section of the game solely dedicated to the F1 cars and tracks. That would be a nice bonus for the fans. This is just my opinion so please disagree.

What I would really like to see are far more exotics in the game and a few courses that are much more opened up. They should go all out with the cars in this game. When I say Exotics I mean exotics. No more puny selection of a few great cars. Let's keep Pagani and its Zondas, bring in some real Porsches and not just the modified but lovely RUF's. Lamborghini Murcielago would be nice, along with the new Gallardo. How about Ferrari and its line of cars going all the way up to the new Enzo Ferrari, now that would be amazing. Throw Saleen in the picture and you're starting to get the idea. TVR is a must of course. Let's get some of the Ital Design cars in the picture and you're starting to make a game my mouth can water after. There are many others as well. And last but definitely not the least, some form of the McLaren F1 would be so nice to have, that would make my day.

As for the tracks, open them up a bit and make it a pleasure to race on them. Make it a driver's race with the exotics and you've got yourself the best racing sim ever.

I can dream can't I?

got to agree with Sonic. That's was always my biggest wish for a new GT game. Get more exotics and especially, do something about the tracks. IMO, NFS1 had some of the best tracks ever featured in a game. The sea track was just amazing, with all the S-curves etc. Then the mountain track of course, with all it's curves and steap uphill sections. Wow.

As for cars, I really hope they keep the Tommy Kaira ZZ-II. By far my favorite car in GT3 (although the Esprit was more challenging to race). ;) Got to agree with Zurich, an M3 would be nice. If they get an M3, I hope it's the M3 CLS (the lightweight racing version in limited numbers). ;)

I'm not a real big fan of Ferrari's, but having a few of them might be a nice addition. They should get the 512TR. :) Oh, and speaking of Lamborghini's, I'd love to see a Diablo SV (or GTR). Hell, a Zagato Raptor would be nice too.. or Koenigsegg CC. And definately some more TVR's... it would be a blast if they could get the Speed 12 or at least the Tuscan 440. :)

BTW; if I had another wish besides inplementing damage, some real time weather would be nice too (with the right tracks to go with it)...

Oh and one more thing: they should make enable tuned cars in the network racing modes. It was very disappointing that you weren't able to use the own customized cars in i-link mode. Biggest disappointment - spoilt the whole experience that day. :devilish:

Eeek! I can't wait. :oops:
Phil: One reason the Espirit is going to be no longer produced is something to do with the gearbox and its short supply. (source Fifth Gear IIRC).

Heh, no more Esprit but there will be a replacement that might get the name Esprit. Don't forget that Lotus is supposed to start up their own dealerships in the US soon, so that will give it a definite increase in funds. Also the Elise is one awesome car for its price.

Maybe they can bring in some Bugatti cars...especially the new Veyron schuduled for next year. Production car with a top speed of 220+ mph and 0 to 60 in 3.3 seconds.

http://ultra.cto.us.edu.pl/pub/Multimedia/Pictures/Cars/Bugatti/Veyron.01.jpg
http://ultra.cto.us.edu.pl/pub/Multimedia/Pictures/Cars/Bugatti/Veyron.02.jpg
http://ultra.cto.us.edu.pl/pub/Multimedia/Pictures/Cars/Bugatti/Veyron.04.jpg
bugatti_veyron_1.jpg

Well they gotta have the Carrera GT and some of the Koenig Tuned supercars would be nice - Maybe the Competition Evolution (Testerossa with 1000BHP) or maybe even a calloway Sledgehammer :) I have to say i think the standard cars are better than the racing cars, they're just more fun.

edit: Oh yeah and they MUST to keep the Vanqish, just so much fun to take around Seatle on a test run!

tahir, sonic:

Phil: One reason the Espirit is going to be no longer produced is something to do with the gearbox and its short supply. (source Fifth Gear IIRC).

Heh, no more Esprit but there will be a replacement that might get the name Esprit. Don't forget that Lotus is supposed to start up their own dealerships in the US soon, so that will give it a definite increase in funds. Also the Elise is one awesome car for its price.

Yeah, I heard it from our Lotus dealer in Switzerland about it being the gearbox that isn't manufactured anymore. strangely though, the official lotus site never reported that the Esprit will not be continued, so maybe there is still lots of hope that there will be a new version some time in the future. I sure hope so...

And Sonic, thanks for the news... I'm sure that sometime, a new Esprit will come and Lotus starting up their dealership in the US is certainly good news. :)

Yeah the Elise is wonderful. I love the lightweight concept. I'm not sure if the Esthi is going to make it to the US (I think it's only available in Germany at the moment), but it's definately a nice effort. :)

BTW; speaking of which, some form of the 340R would be nice too as a little fun car. 500kg/180 hp...

LogistiX:

Maybe they can bring in some Bugatti cars...especially the new Veyron schuduled for next year. Production car with a top speed of 220+ mph and 0 to 60 in 3.3 seconds.

That Bugatti actually goes past 245 mph (~400km/h). It beat the McLaren F1 by little. In over handling though, I think the weight of the bugatti makes it a pretty challenging car. I'd take the F1 over it anyday. :D

I love old muscle cars. Just feeling the power of them while u drive is much better than the sports cars of today. Esp when u take price into consideration. Nothing like driving my 71 charger around town

Back