How safe are 360s to buy now?

Eteric

Newcomer
I'm getting a 360 Pro for Christmas (I already saw it), but I checked and it seems mine doesn't support HDMI. Supposedly, this means it's the older (more prone to break) model.

Have they fixed these? Is there any real way to tell if you have a good one or not?

I'm having second thoughts about asking for it now. :|

Hope this was the right place to post this topic. :/

Has the jury rigged front heatsink solved nothing? Or is this not a standard feature until a system has been refurbished?

The new systems with HDMI have the new heat sync installed. My nephew got one for his birthday and I can say without a doubt they move a lot more air than my old one. I can put my hand on the side of his and feel the air cooled as it gets sucked in to the console.
You should return your older one and look for a new one after Christmas. His also came with the Ben Q drive which is quite a bit quieter than my Samsung.

There's no indication yet that the new consoles are any less prone than the old ones, however the 3 year RROD warranty still stands so if something does go wrong you'll be able to get a free replacement. The life expectancy of any given 360 seems to be around 9-12 months, clearly that depends on usage and the luck of the draw.

Look on the bright side, you'll be doing your bit to boost the 360 sales figures, when you look at those 13m worldwide sales you'll be able to say "3 of those were me!"

I believe not even all HDMI models are "safe" - there are non-Falcon HDMI models.

Am I correct in assuming we won't know for sure just how much more reliable the Falcons are until six months to a year or so?

Look on the bright side, you'll be doing your bit to boost the 360 sales figures, when you look at those 13m worldwide sales you'll be able to say "3 of those were me!"

Actually, no you wouldn't.

Am I correct in assuming we won't know for sure just how much more reliable the Falcons are until six months to a year or so?

Ya the data on the falcon models is pretty limited atm. I can't see how they wouldn't be better. Even if only some of the problems were heat related that portion should be reduced significantly.

Even they have made a progress in RROD issues the DVD drives need a major overhaul - Not for noise but for scratching discs and lenses going bust very quickly.

Dont let the RRoD deter you, theres really nothing we can do about those(other than not buying the console :p )

I was thinking, couldnt they make the heatsinks just one HS rather than 2? that way heat spreads better but then again, the total heat of both cpu/gpu could render the HS useless? just some random thoughts :oops:

I have a launch 360 that works fine. Well, aside from the crappy DVDROM seemingly losing its grip on the disk at times with a nasty grind sound. I think it tries to stop instantly or something, with obvious consequences....

I have a launch 360 that works fine.

You know, given the internet tales of woe, sometimes I'm still in amazement that my launch unit is still trucking on, especially given the punishment I've given it over the last two years - thats hardly "normal" gaming! (and even with the Elite, its the launch unit that still bears the brunt of my playing, seeing as the Elite sits downstairs on the main TV, which basically means that this is my wifes unit!).

This one has had DVD issues as well, to the point where it ultimately wouldn't spin up. I dismantled it not long ago and found that, given the use, the grease on the motor head had ceased up. Purchased some ceramic grease from a model shop, cleaned off the old stuff and away it went again.

I have a launch 360 that works fine. Well, aside from the crappy DVDROM seemingly losing its grip on the disk at times with a nasty grind sound. I think it tries to stop instantly or something, with obvious consequences....

LOL, that's good enough reason to return it before it scratches your discs :p

I can confirm that returns/exchanges have significantly dropped at my local Best Buy. Since the Geek Squad section is right next to customer support, they have us check every console to see if there is something wrong with it. I haven't touched a single Xbox 360 in the past week.

LOL, that's good enough reason to return it before it scratches your discs :p

Yeah I have a 3yr Best Buy replacement plan on the thing so I see a free upgrade to a Falcon in my future. Eventually. I don't think it really scratches the disks at all though. It just loses its grip on the center of the disk whenever it does its massive speed change attempt. It doesn't do it very often either.

My year-old 360 started scratching my game disc as I was playing Mass Effect. Called up support and they said it would cost me $100 to repair my console. I complained loudly to the support supervisor that the console was only 13 days out of warrantly, and that the disc scratching problem is a known latent defect in many 360s. He replied that he'll do me a favour and only charge me $75. I declined.

I'm still playing Mass Effect, the 360 is still scratching the disc, but I buff the scratches smooth and usually am able to continue playing. I know one day buffing will not be enough, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

These guys are not stupid.. They have already lost 1B$ because of trying to go as cheap as possible in the initial box, which at the end cost them a lot more money. I think any box that is manufactured after Aug-07 is a safe buy (of course, there is no guarantee that it will never fail, but that's true for any CE equipment, right?).

My launch box survived for 15 months with moderate gaming. My current one is still going well after 9 months without a hitch. Do not worry that much!

My year-old 360 started scratching my game disc as I was playing Mass Effect. Called up support and they said it would cost me $100 to repair my console. I complained loudly to the support supervisor that the console was only 13 days out of warrantly, and that the disc scratching problem is a known latent defect in many 360s. He replied that he'll do me a favour and only charge me $75. I declined.

I'm still playing Mass Effect, the 360 is still scratching the disc, but I buff the scratches smooth and usually am able to continue playing. I know one day buffing will not be enough, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Do you keep the unit horizontal or vertical?

Back