how fast is steam?

Bough Civ 4 complete today, but my downloads are going horribly slow, got a 20mbit line but im only getting 100-200 kb\s. (This might have something to do with my ISP ****ing me over lately)

You arent alone, my supposed Cap is at 8mb/sec or so they say, i've never downloaded anything ever, faster than ~800kbs. Anytime i see people speak of 1.5mb/sec or faster i wonder what planet i have to fly to get speeds like that out of a DSL or Cable connection.

IIRC, Black Box and Orange Box will be available over Steam, but Orange Box is now going to be the only one available for retail, ie, Black Box was cancelled from retail.

nope, black box is canned completely, only way you can still get it is through the voucher with an HD2900.

Steam listed the prices for those who dont want to "rebuy HL2 +EP2" and those ripoff prices are 30 for TF2, 30 for EP2, 20 for Portal, just like i guessed they would do. Granted my price estimations actually turned out conservative. They're basically forcing you to buy Orange box, and whether you like it or not, its not a bad deal, regardless of what you perceive yourself as being forced to rebuy. They should of just said HL2/EP1 included free to keep people quiet because thats basically what they did.

Last edited by a moderator:
And then there's this: "Although The Black Box has been cancelled, people who buy The Orange Box will be able to transfer their duplicate games to a friend. The retail box will contain three different product keys, one for three newly release games, one for Half-Life 2, and one for Half-Life 2: Episode One." According to Wiki.

I don't care about extra keys. I have no use for the other keys. Oh wait, I could give them to people that already have them. All I want is to be able to buy episode 2 all by itself for $20 like episode 1. So I guess I won't be getting episode 2.

Jim

I don't care about extra keys. I have no use for the other keys. Oh wait, I could give them to people that already have them. All I want is to be able to buy episode 2 all by itself for $20 like episode 1. So I guess I won't be getting episode 2.

Jim

in your case i'd say bend over, valve wants to deliver a package. Though we still dont know the gameplay length of EP2, if its ~6 hours than $30 is totally justifiable in my opinion.

You arent alone, my supposed Cap is at 8mb/sec or so they say, i've never downloaded anything ever, faster than ~800kbs. Anytime i see people speak of 1.5mb/sec or faster i wonder what planet i have to fly to get speeds like that out of a DSL or Cable connection.

It all depends on who your provider is and how badly they suck.

Cox Communications is my cable provider in a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio. The top tier is 12mbit/sec for $57 a month. They recently added PowerBoost. Normally I max out from my usenet provider maxes at 1600 kB/s. When the downloads begin for 30 to 60 seconds, it maxes out at 2400 kB/s thanks to PowerBoost.

Thing is thought, that my line is a socalled dedicated line, so i get the speed i pay for 99% of the time as long as the other part has a good enough connection.

Edit: You mean 8mbit or 8mb/sec?? The difference is huge. 8mb/sec is 64mbit.

in your case i'd say bend over, valve wants to deliver a package. Though we still dont know the gameplay length of EP2, if its ~6 hours than $30 is totally justifiable in my opinion.

No, I don't so. There will be other games, FULL games, that will I will buy and play instead. I do not have any use for the package.

Edit: You mean 8mbit or 8mb/sec?? The difference is huge. 8mb/sec is 64mbit.

Typically a lowercase 'b' is used for bit [Kb/s] and uppercase 'B' is used for Byte [KB/s]. I'm guessing they mean 8mbit/sec when they said 8mb/sec

Virgin Media in UK do 20mb, which is cable and not as susceptible to distance as ADSL2. Im 4 miles from my cable and adsl exchanges (albeit in different directions). ADSL2 24mb got me 700K/sec max, 20mb cable gets me 2.6MB/sec. Use DownThemAll in Firefox to multithread downloads, speeds them up nicely.

conn.gif

Download is ET:QW demo, on first day of release, from nVidia servers.

Edit: I actually just dl'd from Steam for the first time ever. 1.8MB/sec. 7996MB downloaded and installed in less than 90mins. Very nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back