How do YOU pronounce these?

ATi -> Atty for me. I always use phonetics for most acronyms; like a cc's "PIN" or "SWAT". Others like IBM and BMW I spell out.

nVidia -> En-vidia (like some TWIMTBP intro videos).

Cache - > Cash

id Software -> id (but it started out as I.D. btw)

ASUS -> A-zeus (the "a" is wide like in "far")

I've heard the word "aliasing" pronounced in the strangest ways...

How do you pronounce it? It seems to be a personal option these days...

ay-lee-ass-ing, with heavy emphasis on the ass.

Graham said:
an-tacr-tic-a.

Sorry that one annoys me enormously. I've seen a US TV show interview a New Zealander, where they actually forced him to use US pronunciation. You could hear the strain in his voice as he said it.. with the gun being pressed ever so slighly closer to the base of he necks. Urgh. Damned imperialists.
That's just wierd. I've always heard it pronounced with the t.

P.S. You transposed the c and the r :)

Sage said:
That's pretty interesting as none of the three mentioned spellings is the one you would use in German: with an 'a' as in far and a long 'o' somewhat like in boat.

Graham said:
and btw Antarctica is not an-ark-ika. It has t's for gods sake! t's!!srhaosgigikgsfigFDhkFDophi!!!!!@@@

an-tacr-tic-a.
You really split the syllables in a weird way. I'd say it's
Ant-arc-ti-ca.

Aliasing: 'ay-lee-a-sing (with a short ee)

And who had the horrible idea to pronounce W as double-U? Making every acronym with it that can't be pronounced as one word a huge pain. Why not pronounce it as 'way' or 'woo' or 'woh', or anything else that's short and unambiguous?

Xmas said:
And who had the horrible idea to pronounce W as double-U? Making every acronym with it that can't be pronounced as one word a huge pain. Why not pronounce it as 'way' or 'woo' or 'woh', or anything else that's short and unambiguous?

In Italy we say "voo" or double-"vee" (the latter is the pronunciation of letter "v" of course).

Crisidelm said:
In Italy we say "voo" or double-"vee" (the latter is the pronunciation of letter "v" of course).

well.. unlike the french and german, we use almost the same pronounciation for v & w (vay and way) and that causes errors..

on topic

in dutch, I call it ati (ah-tee) when in english i talk about a-tee-eye
n-vidia, just like the twimtbp video's.

and.. unfortunatly, in europe, it's very common to refer to a router as a "rooter" mostly because of the french "en route" and basically because nat king cole had to use root instead of route to make his song sound in rhyme.
at least.. that's what the discovery channel told me.

as soon as people in here talk about rooters, I give them the examples of "outer space" and "outstanding"

Pronounciation is a hard thing for the IQ impaired.

Why is W even a letter?! It's not a V, it's not a U, but depending what language you speak, you pronounce it as both... Very weird letter. Think about it every night before going to bed.

london-boy said:
Why is W even a letter?! It's not a V, it's not a U, but depending what language you speak, you pronounce it as both... Very weird letter. Think about it every night before going to bed.

What, there isn't room for hybrid's in the alphabet? Think of it as the child of vowels and consonants ;)

In some old Semitic languages 'W' and 'Y' are were (crudely) the consonental equivalent for 'u' and 'i', respectively. It was not uncommon ~75 years ago to call them semi-vowels. When vowels began creeping into Semitic languages the 'W' and 'Y' were natural canidates to represent a number of vowels.

If we wanted to complain about letters and sounds I would start with gutterals, glottal stops, and pharyngeals. W is only a harmless cross dresser ;)

neliz said:
and.. unfortunatly, in europe, it's very common to refer to a router as a "rooter" mostly because of the french "en route" and basically because nat king cole had to use root instead of route to make his song sound in rhyme.
at least.. that's what the discovery channel told me.
Which makes me think of the US plumbing company, Roto Rooter ;)

london-boy said:

W is very useful. Rather than having to string together O and U to get OUI, you just use WE.

wheeeeeeeeee........!

I've always thought that the verb "to route" is actually said as "root", is that wrong? Afaik, it comes from French, that's why it should be pronounced "root".

Last edited by a moderator:
Crisidelm said:
I've always thought that the verb "to route" is actually said as "root", is that wrong? Afaik, it comes from French, that's why it should be pronounced "root".

dictionary.com gives you the answer:

[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin rupta (via), broken (road), feminine past participle of rumpere, to break. See rout1.]

I'm a firm believer of outer->router

neliz said:
dictionary.com gives you the answer:
I'm a firm believer of outer->router

I don't see how that matters: if it comes from French, it must have the French pronunciation, and they say it like "root", so router, as for the device that routes, should be "rooter", and that's that. And that's good since it makes clear that you're not referring to router "rowter", as for the device that routs.

Not at all, because language is defined through use. There is nothing inherently better about either pronounciation. Language is merely the convention by which people converse. Just because it originally came from a French word doesn't mean it should be pronounced like one.

Crisidelm said:
I don't see how that matters: if it comes from French, it must have the French pronunciation, and they say it like "root", so router, as for the device that routes, should be "rooter", and that's that. And that's good since it makes clear that you're not referring to router "rowter", as for the device that routs.

Well.. I did some more searching and as you've read.. it's not from french, but from latin.
The O.E.D states:

"route: A way, road, or course; a certain direction taken in travelling
from one place to another" ... etc.

and then:

... "beginning of the 18th; from that time down to c 1800 the usual
spelling was rout. The pronunciation ((like "out")), which appears in
early 19th cent. rimes, is still retained in military use, and by many
speakers in the U.S. and Canada."

Maybe the confusion has started because the creator of the router is also a fluent french speaker?

Back