How do YOU pronounce these?

AlNom

Legend
ATTY or A.T.I?

nuhvidia or N. Vidia....vidya...vid-eeeeeya (wakarimasu-ka?)

:p

My friends drive me nuts when they say atty. I'm like...what did you just say? :oops: (Take it back! j/k)

Actually, while I was at CES, I heard people say Asus like A. Soose. (like moose). Is that how you're supposed to pronounce it? I always thought it was more like A.Suss.

Jiggabyte or Gigabyte? (although I suppose Jigga is what Oxford says "Giga" is supposed to be).

:oops:

A.T.I.
N.... Vidia
A.... Suss
Gigabyte

Hope that helps! You can tell your friends that you were right and slider agrees... cos, y'know... that'll make all the difference to them. :)

A.T.I - Never heard that any other way ATTY sound ridiculous to me.

N vid-eeeeya - That's how I've said it, I've heard it with a Nuh at the start, but that sounds odd to me.

A. Soose - That's how I say it, but I've never been certain on how to say Asus.

Gigabyte - Giga, fairly simple there.

NVIDIA: envideea
ASUS: ahsoose (I'd been incorrectly pronouncing this "ace-us" for some time, but have heard "ahsoose" from some guys I trust to know the right pronounciation).
ATI: A. T. I.

I'm pretty sure that the above are what are used by the employees of the above companies, so....

ati, because it's much faster and easier to speak out aloud than a...te...iih..

envidia, cause it's the most simple way, and as well, fast to speak.

asus, the way it's read in german

gigabyte

just the way it's logical if you want to speak it out in an easy, good to understand way, that you can use fast everywhere..

_xxx_ said:
I actually like in-vidia.
Invidia is how it's pronounced in Italy, just like ATI is pronounced ATI (A.T.I. sounds exactly like ATI in Italian, only slower, so slow that people may think you are speech-impaired).

Crisidelm said:
(A.T.I. sounds exactly like ATI in Italian, only slower, so slow that people may think you are speech-impaired).
Yeah, that reminds me. Slightly OT, but one thing that amazes me is how slow we as Americans talk. If you've ever studied any other languages, it seems that most of them talk quite a bit more quickly than we do. And I've also heard some people here in the US who talk much faster than the norm. It's perfectly comprehensible (and possibly even moreso: you're less likely to get bored listening). I just can't bring myself to actually talk that fast on a regular basis :)

A (The Fonz) T (as in Tetley) I (Ali G).

People that call Nintendo "Ninty" make me want to harm myself.

Crisidelm said:
Invidia is how it's pronounced in Italy, just like ATI is pronounced ATI (A.T.I. sounds exactly like ATI in Italian, only slower, so slow that people may think you are speech-impaired).

Invidia means "envy" or "jealousy" in latin :)

I pronounce Atty, Envidyah, Jiggabyte, Ahzuss (french "u", like german "y", I can't think of a english word with that vowel)

digitalwanderer said:
Only financial people call it "Atty", enthusiasts use "ATi".

funny you say that! My friend is in business :LOL:
(oh and... I guess I try to write "ATi" and "nVidia" whenever I don't feel like being lazy :oops: )

Anyone say nucular? :devilish: I also vaguely recall a discussion on "route" (rowt like about or root....like newt). It cracks me up when I hear "rooter" where the computer device is concerned.

I'll make it a point to ask the company people at the booths next year. :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Many years ago, a US accented distributor hit me with "ay-soose" for the first time. There were some TV adds with "ay-soose", too. I still pronounce it "ay-sus", as per the folks in Taipei...

digitalwanderer said:
Only financial people call it "Atty", enthusiasts use "ATi".
Everyone I know employs A-T-I.

Alstrong said:
Anyone say nucular?
I've made a point of picking it up, presidential pronunciation intact. I no longer even lapse into nuclear. It pisses the hell out of people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ay-Tee-Eye

En-Vid-ee-ya

Its always strange when I hear people mispronounce things...

Veryclose = Varicose
Pacific = Specific
Nukulur = Nuclear

stevem said:
Many years ago, a US accented distributor hit me with "ay-soose" for the first time. There were some TV adds with "ay-soose", too. I still pronounce it "ay-sus", as per the folks in Taipei...
Interesting. We refer to them as 'A-Suess' (rhymes with Moose). I called them 'a-sis' (Like Isis) until we started interacting with them as customers.

Back