How do YOU pronounce these?

neliz said:
Well.. I did some more searching and as you've read.. it's not from french, but from latin.

Maybe the confusion has started because the creator of the router is also a fluent french speaker?

Still I think most of the British say "route" as "root", and given the fact that I speak English and not American, I still find the proper pronunciation to be "router" as "rooter", and by the way, everybody in Italy says it like that (and we do know a thing or two about Latin).

Crisidelm said:
Still I think most of the British say "route" as "root", and given the fact that I speak English and not American, I still find the proper pronunciation to be "router" as "rooter", and by the way, everybody in Italy says it like that (and we do know a thing or two about Latin).

Hmm.. maybe someone can ask Bill Yeager?

(the problem is.. it isn't a british invention.)

And I'm also seeing mostly all dictionaries showing it as both root and rout.
What is even more in evidence of the pronounciation rAUter, is the fact that everyone else calls the wood cutting thingy rAUter.
There is no use pronouncing the same word differently when it comes to a different subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
neliz said:
Hmm.. maybe someone can ask Bill Yeager?

(the problem is.. it isn't a british invention.)

And I'm also seeing mostly all dictionaries showing it as both root and rout.

All the Italian-English dictionaries that I know of report "route" pronunciation only as "root".
And it doesn't matter if the inventor is not British, all that matters it's the invention name, which is English.

neliz said:
American english you mean? grey/gray for instance?

Even the Oxford english dictionary doesn't list it as "root"

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/router?view=uk

But I admit, I'm biased... I've worked for Cisco for three years.. :(

You're biased alright. Full decription in the page you pointed me to:
"router
/rowtr/

• noun a power tool with a shaped cutter, used in carpentry."
You worked three years for Cisco doing carpentry?

neliz said:
What is even more in evidence of the pronounciation rAUter, is the fact that everyone else calls the wood cutting thingy rAUter.
That is probably because the wood cutting thingy routs, while the network router routes.

antarctica : for me it's an-tar-ti-ca (with an as in "ant"). the first 'c' is mute, at least in French (antarctique -> antartik)

Xmas said:
That is probably because the wood cutting thingy routs, while the network router routes.

to be honest, this topic is the first time I heard the "router" being refered to as a tool for cutting wood.. obviously a lacune in my lexicon :(

Does this.. confusion stem from the american "hard headed" approach of calling a router a "gateway" (one to which you can have a default-route)

neliz said:
yeah, wiki and google are mighty tools!

but yes.. over here.. that's called a "frees" /phrase/ machine.

so.. WOOD router.. hmm.. not a router .. noooo.. a WOOD router!

And the pronounciation is the same.. interesting..

wood rowter!

Here's another one
I'm in 70-290 class right now.. talking about certificates.

Thawte.. (as a trusted provider of certificates)

he says taw-tee? I'd say taw-tuh..

w00t r0t0r!

neliz said:
Here's another one
I'm in 70-290 class right now.. talking about certificates.

Thawte.. (as a trusted provider of certificates)

he says taw-tee? I'd say taw-tuh..

w00t r0t0r!

"thought" with a little more stress on the "w"

oobisoft? or yubi-soft? (Ubisoft)

I heard it was a Canadian thing to say it emphasizing the "U" where the Americans say "OO". :?:

Back