Linux

Sage said:
eeeeethirnet
lan (rhymes with pan)
why-fhy
OK with that so far.
what-you-see-is-what-you-get
I have heard it pronounced "WhizzeeWig"... but I think that's just silly :D
You know, I've not heard it pronounced at all. I've always heard it as V O I P.
lennuhcks
That's a boxer or singer from Eurythmics. :D
Seriously, it's pronounced "Lin ux" as Linus Torvalds himself has said.

Crisidelm said:
In a German way I guess (yiddish Jew I reckon?).

well, he is a Lithuanian-Jew according to wikipedia. I just don't want to make myself look stupid when I'm talking about one of his latest books that I'm reading- "The (Mis)Behavior of Markets"

Simon F said:
Seriously, it's pronounced "Lin ux"
The audio file explains it better than you do :) It's more lean than lin.

I don't quite understand how the predominant pronunciation of router came to be "rowter". If you stick with British pronunciation and "rooter" everything makes sense, and you can reserve "rowter" for the woodworking tool. The Americans seem to have rhyme nor reason for their pronunciation though. Not only with router but also with other similar words, they seem to switch almost willy nilly between "root" and "rowt". It's "root 66" but then when they say paper route or use the plural or verb forms it turns to "rowt"??? WTF?

Last edited by a moderator:
MfA said:
I don't quite understand how the predominant pronunciation of router came to be "rowter".
Define "predominant" <shrug>. I suspect that the reason you hear "rowter" instead of the correct pronunciation (as is used in the UK & Australia and presumably other English speaking nations :p) is surely just down to ignorance.

Perhaps, before long, dictionaries will be replacing all instances of "lose" with "loose" :rolleyes:

MfA said:
The audio file explains it better than you do :) It's more lean than lin.

I don't quite understand how the predominant pronunciation of router came to be "rowter". If you stick with British pronunciation and "rooter" everything makes sense, and you can reserve "rowter" for the woodworking tool. The Americans seem to have rhyme nor reason for their pronunciation though. Not only with router but also with other similar words, they seem to switch almost willy nilly between "root" and "rowt". It's "root 66" but then when they say paper route or use the plural or verb forms it turns to "rowt"??? WTF?
Well, if you want to complain about American pronounciation, what about British pronounciation of city names?

Anyway, the pronounciation "root" seems to be used less and less, though I'm sure that will depend upon which part of the country you're in.

Chalnoth said:
Well, if you want to complain about American pronounciation, what about British pronounciation of city names?
What, UK places that have pronunciation as bizarre as Albuquerque and Akansas?:p I think everywhere has its own fair share of weird place names.

Crisidelm said:
So he is Ashkenazim, whose frank language is/was Yiddish, which has strong German connotations.

right... and I have no troubble pronouncing Hebrew, it's almost second nature to me even though I was (sadly) never taught it growing up. However, I don't do too well with German and a lot os Yiddish words except the ones I'm used to hearing. So, again, how would I pronounce it? :p

Simon F said:
What, UK places that have pronunciation as bizarre as Albuquerque and Akansas?:p I think everywhere has its own fair share of weird place names.

hahahahaha don't even get me started on Oklahoma town names. Remember, only about a century ago white people weren't allowed to live here without a permit. So, a LOT of locale names around here have Indian names... and then remember that there were a lot of different tribes each with their own lnaguage... pretty crazy.

Sage said:
right... and I have no troubble pronouncing Hebrew, it's almost second nature to me even though I was (sadly) never taught it growing up. However, I don't do too well with German and a lot os Yiddish words except the ones I'm used to hearing. So, again, how would I pronounce it? :p

Again, I would say "as it's written", for it sounds pretty much the same in German AND neolatin languages, but I know you anglophone people have no strict pronunciation rules, so here we go: man (like the English word "man") - del (like "Dell") - brot (the "ot" sounds somehow like in hOT, "br" like in "BRazil")...stress on "man" afaik.

Chalnoth said:
If it's a French name, though, you'd pronounce the last syllable "bro"
Yes, if you found a silly Frenchman, who also doesn't know that origin of the name, he would also stress on "bro" too. But an average smart French with a knowledge of where Mandelbrot comes from, would read and say indeed the "t" at the end

Crisidelm said:
Yes, if you found a silly Frenchman, who also doesn't know that origin of the name, he would also stress on "bro" too. But an average smart French with a knowledge of where Mandelbrot comes from, would read and say indeed the "t" at the end
Well, according to Wikipedia it's been pronounced in a number of different ways:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benoit_Mandelbrot

Since he lived much of his life in France, the French pronounciation sounds like it would have caught on among some groups.

what about his first name with that funny î

nvm...
Benoît is read as "ben-wa". The pronunciation of the name "Mandelbrot", which is a Yiddish and German word meaning "almond bread", is given variously in dictionaries. The Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary and the Longman Pronouncing Dictionary give [ˈmæn.dəlˌbɹoʊt] (first syllable sounds like "man"; last syllable rhymes with "boat"); the Bollard Pronouncing Dictionary of Proper Names gives the French pronunciation [ˈmæn.dəlˌbɹɔː] (last syllable rhymes with "draw"); the American Heritage Dictionary gives [ˈmɑːn.dəlˌbɹɑt] (first syllable has the vowel sound of the 'a' in "father"; last syllable rhymes with "pot").

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the favourite (read: most hated) words by my family or my friends in Italy would have to be Rotherhithe (an area in London)...

On a side note, am i the only one who finds it quite appropriate (for this forum) that Sage would have a Paypal account linked to his signature, for people to "donate" towards whatever he wants a donation for? Maybe it's old news and we already have a thread about it, but it's the first time i noticed it...

london-boy said:
On a side note, am i the only one who finds it quite appropriate (for this forum) that Sage would have a Paypal account linked to his signature, for people to "donate" towards whatever he wants a donation for? Maybe it's old news and we already have a thread about it, but it's the first time i noticed it...

yeah well apparently noone has *NOTICED* it yet:!:

it's just a tipjar... sometimes I really help people out and I figure if they want to throw 50 cents my way for it (just takes a few seconds) then maybe if I helped enough people someday it might buy this poor college student a pizza.

I also have it on myspace and mbworld.org

Sage said:
yeah well apparently noone has *NOTICED* it yet:!:

it's just a tipjar... sometimes I really help people out and I figure if they want to throw 50 cents my way for it (just takes a few seconds) then maybe if I helped enough people someday it might buy this poor college student a pizza.

I also have it on myspace and mbworld.org

I'm not questioning whether or not you deserve donation (i'd happily do that). I just don't think it's very appropriate for this forum, as people's signatures get edited by Admin for much less.

Oh well i guess if it stays up, you just got a bit more coverage from me nagging about it...

and btw Antarctica is not an-ark-ika. It has t's for gods sake! t's!!srhaosgigikgsfigFDhkFDophi!!!!!@@@

an-tacr-tic-a.

Sorry that one annoys me enormously. I've seen a US TV show interview a New Zealander, where they actually forced him to use US pronunciation. You could hear the strain in his voice as he said it.. with the gun being pressed ever so slighly closer to the base of he necks. Urgh. Damned imperialists.*

* slight exaggeration

Also. We say 'kay<>sssh' for cache.

Back