How Americans see Europe

You obviously have never tried reindeer :rolleyes:

Couple small examples of great finnish cuisine:

Both look very tasty.
Here in the US you get traditional winter (Christmas) dishes with all their creative seasoning (salt, pepper and sugar).

Holland = "north"??? Scotland's more north than holland! Holy crap, Mize c'mon! :D

And Scotland is on my list of don't have to have it again cuisines! :)

In Europe I tend to favor Spain, Italy, Greece and Turkey for food. Things tend to be lighter with more complex flavors.

Ah, none of you know good food when you see it. Coming from Hawai'i, the best food ever made is...

SPAM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_(food) )

In Hawaii, Spam is so popular it is sometimes dubbed "The Hawaiian Steak".

And nothing, absolutely nothing beats Spam Musubi...already drooling thinking about it. :D

Spammusubi1011.jpg

Yum yum yum...

Regards,
SB

In Europe I tend to favor Spain, Italy, Greece and Turkey for food.
I've heard good stuff about Turkish cuisine, dunno how much it really differs from the Greek though - which I totally love.

Had a bunch of Turkish dried figs the other day, this year's harvest. They were sweet, soft and delicious.

Never really eaten much Spanish food. Had a very tasty Paella at a restaurant in New York a couple years ago, other than that last time I had Spanish food was probably a vacation on the canary islands back in the 70s... :)

Any country that likes cold soup doesn't immediately appeal to me with their cuisine :)

And I have been to Spain, but the food wasn't that special to me.

I absolutely love good gazpacho on a hot Summer day.
As for Turkish think European Mediterranean mixed with Lebanese for an approximate palate.

Sxotty, if you don't like Spanish food (assuming you've had decent Spanish food like jamon iberico with manchego and champinions or tortilla or etc.etc.) what is it you like?

Also, gazpacho is well known, buy what country doesn't have a cold soup? AFAIK most have several.

I absolutely love good gazpacho on a hot Summer day.
Tomato soup basically, is it not?

As for Turkish think European Mediterranean mixed with Lebanese for an approximate palate.
Only had Lebanese once...in Paris of all places, about a year and a half ago, so I don't really know enough about it to use it as a frame of reference. :)

No, Gazpacho is not tomato soup. Here are some differences:

1. Tomato soup is often made with tomato paste or juice. Real gazpacho is made with ripe tomatoes. This is why you won't find good gazpacho in Spain until Summer.
2. Gazpacho has both olive oil and vinegar, tomato soup does not.
3. With gazpacho an assortment of fresh veggies (red onion, peppers, cucumbers) is presented for each diner to ganish his or her soup to taste.

Cold tomato soup is simply tomato juice without the tangy flavor of gazpacho...

Lebanese is amazing stuff. I'd tell you it's like Greek mixed with Persian but we're starting to loop here. Afghani food is another favorite, but that puts us well outside of Europe.

Food is personal taste of course and where we grow up plays a huge role in how our tastes develop. I've tried almost everything (raw cow spinal cord being a notable exception) that's been offered to me all over Europe, Eastern Europe, Central and South America (North America too of course) and literally all over the Asian continent.

Everywhere I've been there are amazing foods and downright dreadful ones. This is, of course, my personal taste. Camel foot just sucks to my palate even if my friends in Anhui province love it. In Japan I'll take a bit of raw horse, but prefer sushi or okinamiyaki.

Likewise, I love goat cheese and olives and my Chinese friends think they taste like urine smells. Don't even get them started on macaroni and cheese.

The food is the only good thing in Spain. And yes it is good. :rolleyes:

The food and the beaches before and after the tourists. There are some tiny beachside restaurants on the costa brava that are simply amazing. Had a pine Halibut that sounded weird and was magnificent.

The traffic sucks.

Mize I am not sure what my favorite foods are, I suppose I am pretty stereotypical though.

I like tex-mex better than real mexican food, but I do like some more specifically mexican food.

I love quiche made with extra sharp cheddar cheese. I love a good steak, grilled salmon, brisket, thai food. I dunno specifically which cuisine is my favorite, but I like a lot Italian stuff better than Spanish.

I have never been a huge seafood fan though and that kills off a lot of stuff.

Where do you live? Sounds like SoCal raised to me.
FWIW finding good Spanish food in the US is damn near impossible outside of a couple spots on the East Coast. Since you like Tex Mex better than Mexican and quiche you're clearly a cheese person (as am I but I like Mex better than Tex Mex). Spain has some wonderful cheeses and you'd probably like many different kinds of tortilla (basically like quiche but with potatoes, onions, mushrooms and the like.

Of course Spain means lots of seafood so that's an issue, but so does Thai and you like Thai, right?

Where do you live? Sounds like SoCal raised to me.
FWIW finding good Spanish food in the US is damn near impossible outside of a couple spots on the East Coast. Since you like Tex Mex better than Mexican and quiche you're clearly a cheese person (as am I but I like Mex better than Tex Mex). Spain has some wonderful cheeses and you'd probably like many different kinds of tortilla (basically like quiche but with potatoes, onions, mushrooms and the like.

Of course Spain means lots of seafood so that's an issue, but so does Thai and you like Thai, right?

There are actually a lot of very good Spanish restaurants in SF.

Polish food is the best when my mom cooks it!

I agree with Mize that it is personal taste, but many friend from Europe said that what my mom prepares is excellent.

Other than that I like Italian and Spanish cuisine, proper HotDogs (not British ones :mad:) and Fish & Chips.

Polish food is the best when my mom cooks it!

I agree with Mize that it is personal taste, but many friend from Europe said that what my mom prepares is excellent.

There is a Polish dish that I love - can't remember the name. It's a sauerkraut dish with various meats and mushrooms that takes several days to prepare. It's amazing and I've never seen it outside of Poland.

I was raised in Texas so it isn't surprising I like Tex-Mex and brisket :)

There is a lot of decent Vietnamese food down in Houston too. I have liked the Vietnamese food I picked there despite me getting pigs feet soup or something once. It was funny as the waitress did not speak English and I did not speak Vietnamese. She was kind of frantic when I ordered it, but it was actually tasty. I usually pick Thai that has less seafood, there is enough to pick from. When I was in Spain we just kind of ate wherever and whatever. That is generally what we do so maybe we just had bad luck.

Back