How Americans see Europe

Hot_n_Sweet_Vodka_Shot_6006.jpg

Yep, that's the stuff, but it's almost never available here in Finland excluding 1dl flasks in few selected stores, and making it yourself is cheaper :p

Germany and shitty food? Who the fuck wrote this? It's not only wrong, I've never even heard of that meme...

Germany and shitty food? Who the fuck wrote this? It's not only wrong, I've never even heard of that meme...

Germany's cuisine ranges from amazing to terrible. This is not surprising. English food is limited to horrible while France is largely "butter."
Spain and Italy kick butt and All things North (Norway, Holland, Finland) aren't worth mentioning. (ludafisk? come on!)

Germany's cuisine ranges from amazing to terrible. This is not surprising. English food is limited to horrible while France is largely "butter."
Spain and Italy kick butt and All things North (Norway, Holland, Finland) aren't worth mentioning. (ludafisk? come on!)
Well, maybe. Thing is that this meme is news to me. And I don't really know anything I would classify as "terrible", either.

Well, maybe. Thing is that this meme is news to me. And I don't really know anything I would classify as "terrible", either.

Pub food in Germany can (and in the US *is*) be greasy speztle and soft veggies like the UK...and white asparagus that is stringy, etc. Basically you can get "bad" German food. No surprise.

I love german food, where else in the world can you go into a restaurant and get a whole chicken (no vegetables etc)
The germans + some central european countries know about making decent food.Whilst it mightnt be the healthiest fare available its certainly the tastiest
Last year a german restaurant opened up where I live, Ive been about 4 times so far, Sometimes youve just gotta get your fix of schlager
http://www.harlequin.co.nz/menu/Restaurants/Krauts.asp

Pub food in Germany can (and in the US *is*) be greasy speztle and soft veggies like the UK...and white asparagus that is stringy, etc. Basically you can get "bad" German food. No surprise.
Well, I guess the problem is that I actually am German and don't consider that (greasy) stuff "German food" - funnily enough, I usually associate "greasy" with American food. And like I said, while I know that many memes usually aren't all that grounded in reality, I've never even heard of that particular meme. That was my main point.

By the way, white asparagus isn't all that bad either. If it's done the way it's meant to be.

All things North (Norway, Holland, Finland) aren't worth mentioning. (ludafisk? come on!)
Holland = "north"??? Scotland's more north than holland! Holy crap, Mize c'mon! :D

As for northern cuisine, I dunno where or what you've been eating, but there's lots of delicious Scandinavian food. Maybe your "ludafisk" (wtf? *texan accent* "I'd like some ludafisk, silver plate!" :LOL:) wasn't properly prepared. Then again, not everybody likes lutfisk; you should come to my city, Göteborg, and go to Sjömagasinet and have some real, fresh fish. It's an internationally recognized high-class seafood restaurant.

We're good at salmon and mackerel, herring - and not just pickled; fried fresh herring coated in crumbs, mashed potatoes and lingonberry jam is somewhat of a national dish over here. Absolutely delicious!

Or Sjöbaren, which is less pretentious - although not less in any other way - in the intimate city district of Haga. Come a warm summer evening, sit outside. If you're lucky the boy's choir upstairs will have a practice session that day and you'll get to listen to their beautiful singing. :)

Of course, scandinavia isn't all fish. We got moose, reindeer, lots of succulent animals walking our forests just waiting to be shot, gutted and expertly prepared. Carolus Rex imported Turkish wine-leaf dumplings to Sweden during the 1700s (which explains why he's now become the figure-head of right-winger nationalists...HMMM! :D), they also go well with lingonberry jam.

Oh, and don't dis Holland's cuisine either. They make excellent pancakes over there. Some of the best I ever had in fact. :) They sure beat French crepes, I might add. Of course, the best pancakes I ever had are my own...heh.

Oh, and don't dis Holland's cuisine either.
you obviously havent lived there (true some cakes are ok)
but heres a brief rundown of the dutch staple diet (I may forget a couple)
boerkool - cabbage with potatoe mashed + sausage
boerkool.JPG

rodekool - red cabbage with mashed potatoe + sausage (occasionally some apple saus as well)
rodekool-uiensaus.jpg

hutspot - carrot + potatoe mashed with sausage
lekkere_hutspot2.jpg

zuurkool - sauerkraut +potatoe mashed with sausage
zuurkoolmetworst.jpg

stamppot endive (some sort of cabbage, dont know in english) with mashed potatoe and sausage
stamppot_met_worst.jpg

theres a couple more, but you get the idea

Haha, well, I like sassidge + mashed potatoes, so that's FINE with me! :LOL: At least if it's a nice kapruner bockwurst, or maybe an emmenthaler käsekrainer....... YUM!

Sauerkraut is fine too. Goes VERY well with some nicely grilled turkish gyro meat! :D

Of course i know dutch cuisine, i dine at Febo............
behold the magnificence

ps: zed who taught you how to spell, Dan Quale ;)

You obviously have never tried reindeer :rolleyes:

Couple small examples of great finnish cuisine:

Coldsmoked reindeer, leipäjuusto ("bread cheese") & lingonberry salad

1501651.jpg

Karjalanpiirakka

800px-Karjalanpiirakka-20060227.jpg

That's "Dan Quayle", actually... :)

However, we know what you really meant. Btw Zed, the unknown cabbage in your picture looks kinda like broccoli, which I like. A lot, actually. Goes really great with other veggie stuff in various thai wok dishes! Plus, it's quite healthy food too.

I can imagine a lot of redneck Americans from say Texas or Oklahoma or Texas seeing rodekool on a menu and deciding to get that thinking it's like their own famous cuisine back home.

Back