How Americans see Europe

I'm surprised that Belgium is known for its chocolate but not for the beer.

I'm surprised it's not french fries since their national refrain seems to be "we REALLY invented thin-cut, fried potatoes and they're only good here!"

They're fricking fries for pitty sake.

I'm surprised it's not french fries since their national refrain seems to be "we REALLY invented thin-cut, fried potatoes and they're only good here!"

They're fricking fries for pitty sake.

Never ever ask for French fries in Belgium. It's, of course, Belgian fries. They just call them "frites" and yes they claim to have invented the thing. I guess it's not so different from the English breakfast vs Irish breakfast.

Remedy was founded by FutureCrew members, later Remedy spun off Futuremark, Futuremark renamed themselves at some point to MadOnion and then back to Futuremark

Oh yeah, you're right!
I've somehow mixed Remedy with FutureCrew :oops:

Never ever ask for French fries in Belgium. It's, of course, Belgian fries. They just call them "frites" and yes they claim to have invented the thing. I guess it's not so different from the English breakfast vs Irish breakfast.

I can understand Brits going on and on about inventing the jet engine, or Frenchies going on and on about inventing oral sex, but "frites"? That's all the game you got Belgium?
If only Holland hadn't invented onion rings!

:)

perhaps they arent?, though I believe the rankings are derived from a standard set of math,science,language tests (I forget the name of the world standard methodology)
though if we look up kazakhstans wiki page we see
"Education
Education is universal and mandatory through to the secondary level and the adult literacy rate is 99.5%."
I wouldnt be surprised if germany rates we lower (I couldnt see it on their wiki page)

For education you always find surprises around the world. Look at a place like Kerala in southern india with 90+% (reported as high as 97%) literacy rates. This in spite of the fact that the largest contributor to GDP within the state is overseas remittances. Basically, dating back to the 19th century the queen declared that everyone should be educated and since then the following rulers have kept up the tradition.

All that is required is an ingrained tradition that education is important. It really doesn't cost that much to teach people to read and basic mathematics if the culture pushes that as a basic requirement of the society. It appears that Kazakhstan has such a culture. If you look at world literacy rates, they are dominated by generally poorer countries to a surprising degree.

but they want you to dip them on mayonnaise! YUCK!

Seems like they have increased their knowledge, since this is how they used to view the world:
4373d1243693805-american-world-map-472f2713d9a0famerican_world_map16.jpg

For some reason, that pic has reminded me of this. :LOL:

While that map may just be spot on, as a gamer I also associate some Euroworld countries with my fav games and related goodies.

Finland = Remedy, Bit Boys Oi, Futuremark
Germany = Crytek
Ukraine = GSC (cure radiation with vodka)
UK = Core Design, Rare, that PowerVR place, Davros and the Sacred Terabyte
Croatia = Crazy Croteam

Clocks-a-tickin' and I gotta run. Time to be a good Wisconsinite and go out and tip over some cows while wearing my cheese hat.

And I'll add Sweden = DICE and Massive Entertainment.:smile:

God, how much I would love to see Ground Control 3. And to go slightly OT, anyone knows what happened to them after Ubisoft acquisition, are they working on new projects?

And to continue with a few more
Norway = FunCom (Anarchy Online, Age of Conan, The Longest Journey & Dreamfall)

Bulgaria = Haemimont Games (Tropico 3, Grand Ages)

For more developers, take a look here. (might be a bit outdated, but still interesting)

Hey, Dutch mayonaise is perfect on fries ... And yes we do drown them in that shit. ;) Also recommended is olive oil based mayonaise and yoghonaise. So much better than, say, ketchup. ;)

Oh and the Netherlands has Guerilla Games and those guys that make that game with the little Gremlin type creatures.

Almost forgot - we finns have santa claus, so good luck enjoying xmas without finland!

Hey, Dutch mayonaise is perfect on fries ... And yes we do drown them in that shit. ;) Also recommended is olive oil based mayonaise and yoghonaise. So much better than, say, ketchup. ;)

Ah, but the best of all is the unholy marriage of Mayonnaise AND Ketchup. Mmmmmmm. Equal portions of both, mix'em up and then start dipping the fries. :D Heck I used to dip pizza slices in it. :p

Regards,
SB

Almost forgot - we finns have santa claus, so good luck enjoying xmas without finland!
Don't care about santa claus, but you finns have Turkish Pepper...except, it was originally a Danish candy, lol... Anyway, this planet wouldn't be the same if Turkish Pepper didn't exist.

It's the ultimate in candy goodness, and the recipe is just about perfect really... Strong, natural licorice flavor, balanced against a round, full sweetness with just a hint of saltyness underneath, and enrichened by spicy pepper and salmiak to really make the full experience quite sensational. Suck the candy carefully to prevent the powder in the center from getting released for as long as possible, or crush it brutally between your teeth to break out the goodness immediately - both methods of enjoyment are equally legitimate!

Only problem: the hard candy edges wear out your mouth, and the salmiak gives you a sour stomach if eating too many of them. Moderation is recommended here for the best experience. :)

Yeah right. Like we all don't know he lives at the North Pole.

...submarine I guess?

Pff, north pole was made up story by the americans because they couldn't stand the fact that Santa belongs to some other country!

Well, "santa claus" (saint Nicholas) was greek, originally, so seems you guys are the ones who stole him from where he belongs...! :p

Don't care about santa claus, but you finns have Turkish Pepper...except, it was originally a Danish candy, lol... Anyway, this planet wouldn't be the same if Turkish Pepper didn't exist.

It's the ultimate in candy goodness, and the recipe is just about perfect really... Strong, natural licorice flavor, balanced against a round, full sweetness with just a hint of saltyness underneath, and enrichened by spicy pepper and salmiak to really make the full experience quite sensational. Suck the candy carefully to prevent the powder in the center from getting released for as long as possible, or crush it brutally between your teeth to break out the goodness immediately - both methods of enjoyment are equally legitimate!

Only problem: the hard candy edges wear out your mouth, and the salmiak gives you a sour stomach if eating too many of them. Moderation is recommended here for the best experience. :)

If one is afraid of the hard edges, you can always do vodka-drinks out of 'em
The mix I've been usually using is 55-65 turkisk peppers (crushed or melted, crushing is "safer" since without added water it easily burns when melting) for 0.5 liters of vodka :cool:

If one is afraid of the hard edges, you can always do vodka-drinks out of 'em
The mix I've been usually using is 55-65 turkisk peppers (crushed or melted, crushing is "safer" since without added water it easily burns when melting) for 0.5 liters of vodka :cool:

Hot_n_Sweet_Vodka_Shot_6006.jpg

Back