Higher 3DMark05 scores = Better Equipped for Future Games?

3DMark shows me if I have a better rig than others for Future Games :

• No, definitely

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

• What A Stupid Poll (give reasons)

• Total voters

Reverend

Banned
Futuremark has indicated that if you have higher "3DMarks" (whether for 3DMark03 or the latest 3DMark05), that means you are better equipped to handle "future games" than those with scores lower than your's.

How much do you subscribe to this?

How about another option saying no clue what its tests are meant to show yet ?

It was a few weeks before we found out what 3dmark 2003 was showing us

jvd said:
How about another option saying no clue what its tests are meant to show yet ?
:oops:

"3DMarks" always depend on the Game Tests results. Did you read my reason-for-this-poll post? For the thick-minded, 3DMark03 and 3DMark05 (or, really, all other previous 3DMarkXXs) are meant to show how games will likely be made based on current API (paraphrased by me). It is, in FM's words, "The Gamers Benchmark". IOW, FM is speaking for GAME developers in an ABSOLUTE perspective -- True or False?

The Baron said:
Needs more analysis of the tests themselves first.
And, after such "analysis", that will tell you the majority of what game developers think?

I would say yes, but i wouldn't use it as an exact science. Rather like a guideline.

The problem is then, what new does it tell us ? Nothing that we didn't know already since it seems to match what we've seen in other games.
Would be good to see different res/aa/af used though. Seems rather uninteresting with just 1024*768 , no aa/af.

Reverend said:
And, after such "analysis", that will tell you the majority of what game developers think?

Of course not. But look back at the earlier 3D Marks. I think they have been pretty much on the spot afa performance goes. And it definitely helped us to show what the NV3X was all about, crap that is.

Bjorn said:
Seems rather uninteresting with just 1024*768 , no aa/af.
On the contrary, I think it is interesting with 1x7 with no OOTB features. Do you think like a developer, or do you think like a casual gamer?

I guess if you have the hardware to run 3DMark well then games will obviously run real nice.

No game coming out anytime soon will have the visuals of 3DMark because hardware certainly isn't currently equiped to run those visuals with good performance.

Heck, Doom 3 ran better with max texture quality, 1280x1024 + 6xAA + 16x Quality AF than 3DMark05 without those IQ settings enabled and with a resolution of 1024x768.

Reverend said:
Bjorn said:
Seems rather uninteresting with just 1024*768 , no aa/af.
On the contrary, I think it is interesting with 1x7 with no OOTB features. Do you think like a developer, or do you think like a casual gamer?

Gamer. And what i meant wasn't that those number aren't important. But just those number aren't that interesting.

"3DMarks" always depend on the Game Tests results. Did you read my reason-for-this-poll post? For the thick-minded, 3DMark03 and 3DMark05 (or, really, all other previous 3DMarkXXs) are meant to show how games will likely be made based on current API (paraphrased by me). It is, in FM's words, "The Gamers Benchmark". IOW, FM is speaking for GAME developers in an ABSOLUTE perspective -- True or False?

in that case i voted no . the dst issue just doesn't point me to that . I'm also not sure if the heavy vertex shader usage will happen in future games

jvd said:
I'm also not sure if the heavy vertex shader usage will happen in future games

That's actually a concern of mine also. Doesn't seem to match what we've heard from the developers. Haven't Carmack and Sweeney both mentioned that vertex performance won't be a problem in their upcoming engines ?

I'd still like to see what happens in higher res , AA, AF though.

I don't know enough about the bottlenecks and features used in the individual game tests to be able to say if it is likely that 3DMark05 will be a useful indicator of future game performance.

From past experience, even if FutureMark aren't right on the money with regard to the features used, the general trend as to who 'wins' in each generation of 3DMark does seem to correlate pretty well with which boards will offer better performance in future titles.

It's hard to generalise though, realistically there's no way of saying "all future games will be like this" especially when, like this generation, you have competing boards that are generally speaking on a very level performance platform. You could argue that this current generation of cards is the toughest test for 3DMark yet, in the past few generations it's always been easy to 'pick a winner'.

I chose not sure...... because of the obvious slant in the bechmark by enabling DST as a default. I am beginning to move over to the position that others have about FM. Accepting money from the very people you are comparing in the benchmark has it's problems........... and once again it seems to boil down to ethics..... :rolleyes:

What if in the near future all games are going to use DST (we already have FarCry)?
That would both mean that Futuremark was right on the money once again, and that Beyond3D made a complete arse out of itself, not to mention a lot of people posting on forums.
Let's have another poll in 2 years time or so.

jvd said:
the heavy vertex shader usage will happen in future games

I don't think vertex shader usage is that heavy, the x700 loses badly to the x800 Pro even thought the x700xt has more vertes shading power, it also about even with the 6600GT even thought it has almost twice the vertex power.

Also the x800 Pro has good deal more vertex shading power than the 6800GT and they are still about even. To me it looks like there is better corelation been the scores and pixel shader power than between the scores and vertex shading power.

Scali said:
What if in the near future all games are going to use DST (we already have FarCry)?
That would both mean that Futuremark was right on the money once again, and that Beyond3D made a complete arse out of itself, not to mention a lot of people posting on forums.
Let's have another poll in 2 years time or so.

You don't understand the problem at all it seems.
Ingenu to Dave Baumann (PM) said:
Beyond3D was the site to point nVidia GFFX weakness using 3DMark03, so you've been said to be biased, while you are simply showing facts, and now you have to change the default settings in order to do a apples-to-apples comparison that will once again weaken nVidia offering...

Considering 3DMark05 tries to predict performances of future titles on current generation hardware, the use of PCF/DST is perfectly legit.
Considering 3DMark05 is a benchmark meant to analyse the hardware strength, the use of vendor specific capabilities is unfair.

So basically we are back to square one : What is 3DMark ?
I said it in the forum, I consider it a nice Tech Demo, kinda a preview of upcoming titles.

I don't post the answer since it's private and meant to remain as such, I can just make my message public.

I think all threads about that issue should be locked until Beyond3D issues an Article pointing out the problems 3DMark05 have.

I voted not sure since there are several things (including DST, lack of 3dc, heavy vertex workload) that Futuremark employed that may never be widely realized in games during the life of this benchmark. If the Doom and Source engines rule the playing fields for the next two years then 3dmark05 is utterly useless.

Ingenu said:
You don't understand the problem at all it seems.

I can guess the answer to your PM, and then I also know who is not understanding what here.

I agree with B3D just having to publish an article instead of talking nonsense in the forum, I already made that obvious to DaveBaumann, I think he got the message.

Scali said:
I agree with B3D just having to publish an article instead of talking nonsense in the forum, I already made that obvious to DaveBaumann, I think he got the message.

I'm sure he did.... but the message he got wasn't exactly what you think...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Back