Hi! Hey guys, I need some help.

Almasy

Regular
Hey, this is my first post in the hardware forum, I hope you don´t mind that it´s a request. :oops:

Do you know of any good component cables for DVD and/or PS2? It´s just that I got this really nice new HDTV, and I really have to see it in its best glory. Help would be really appreciatted. :)

Really good ones?

Frankly I suggest going to Ebay and doing a search for Canare as there are a few people making custom boutique cables. The parts used are broadcast quality.

Or you can go to www.bluejeanscable.com (I think that's the URL) and price those out. Same stuff, just more commercialized than the auctions.

Thanks! That page was really informative. I had no clue about this, so I´m kind of a newbie with this. I have some questions:

What´s with all these connectors though? All I see in my DVD player are the Y, Pb and Pr plugs, same on my TV. What does RCA and BNC mean? Are they different kinds of connections?

Sorry, if this sounds stupid, but I really had no idea about all of this :oops:

Good component cables? I'd just get basically whatever's cheapest at your local electronics store. I'm not sure a PS2 is pushing out the highest quality signal anyway, and I'm doubly doubtful you'll notice much of a difference with Monster Cable-priced cables.

So my suggestion is to find something similar in price to the $30 9' RCA component cables at Target, or the $30 6' Radio Shack Gold component cables.

Actually, I heard you can use the Radio Shack Gold composite A/V cables as component cables, as they're all the same gauge (apparently composite A/V cables tend to use thinner gauges for the audio cable). They're only $20 for 6' and $25 for 12'.

Myself, I bought a 6' GE component set from Target some time ago for around $15. I'm not plugging it into an HDTV, tho, so perhaps there is a noticable quality difference with Belden and Canare. Let's just say I'm skeptical at this point.

You probably can't go wrong with Ty's link, though, if you're willing to spend more money. You certainly won't get a worse cable, I'm just not sure it'll offer a noticably better signal. But if you're spending on a good-sized HDTV, I guess paying an extra $20-30 per cable isn't that much.

Edit: There's a related thread going on at Ars debating the purported merits of Monster Cable's higher price. You might want to give it a read for a relatively short (but heated, as usual :)) summary of the pro/con arguments. My A/V toys aren't pricey enough to justify Monster Cable prices. I'd prefer to spend the money I save going with Rat Shack Gold or the like on things I consider more worthwhile than fancier cables.

Oh, I see. I think I´m going to go and do that. I´m not the one that bought the TV, so I´ll just have to adjust to my budget. :)

I don´t have access to a Target (I´m in Mexico), so I´ll see what I can get over here, thanks for the suggestion.

You might be interested in this link I just saw at NVNews: Component Video Cables -- A Guide. The third and fourth paragraphs compare component with BNC. Looks promising. NVN also linked an article discussing DVI and HDMI, other potential subjects of interest for HDTV owners.

Interestingly enough, they're both reprinted from bluejeanscable. Timely link, Ty. :)

Maybe it's just me but I fail to see the need for REALLY GOOD CABLES for something like a PS2 that doesn't output a REALLY GOOD SIGNAL...

It's like mounting Z rated tires on a Pinto. :LOL:

Edit: I guess it's not just me...

Back