Help with Aquos and HD tuner

Jimmers

Newcomer
Hey everybody! Long time since I last posted, but I have a question:

I just got a new TV. It says it has a built-in HD tuner. Does that mean I don't have to hook it up to a cable box? Can I just screw the coax into the TV and will it be HD?

Excuse the n00bishness. I haven't had a TV in years, let alone a complicated one =/

Yes, but your channels will be different (look up "cable ready tv channel list" for your cable company) and you won't get premiums. In my area (time warner cable) my HD channels are sub-channels. I.e. Fox is 5 and FoxHD is 5-1.

Most cable companies broadcast their expanded basic, digital, and premium stations using encrypted QAM signals. The built in tuners can only tune to Clear QAM signals (non-encrypted). Usually, but not always, the only Clear QAM channels cable uses are the local stations. It can still tune any non-encrypted analog channels.

I get the major networks and all the public HD stations. None of the extended ones (TNTHD etc) are HD. I wish they'd release the cable card for PS3 in the US...

If the PS3 uses the normal cable-card, then you should be able to have the cable-co come out to set it up, no? Or is the US PS3 missing the needed software?

The only cable card product is PlayTV and it's PAL only at this point :(, but yes, in theory a cable-card can be set up for premium services.

Back