Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice [PS4, 4Pro, XO, OneX, XBSX|S]

I'm curious if the changes to patching costs means we'll see some more iterative developments of games? Sony have talked about Early Access-style options. Conceptually the only thing holding that back is the platform holder's QA. If they relax this, self-publishers can sell the game in whatever state they want and handle the consequences themselves. For the curated console experience, the platform holders would have to isolate these games from full games.

It's an interesting thing with good points and bad. It'd be similar to Early Access on Steam where a title that has been greenlit for Steam can basically sell access to the Alpha or Beta stages of their game in development.

That can be good in allowing players to experience and influence how the game develops. Giving the developer some exposure to players and potentially getting some early hype going.

It isn't all good, however, as the game can change drastically during development leaving many players feeling disillusioned as the game is no longer similar to what they originally purchased. And there's also a chance that the game never actually gets finished leaving buyers with an unfinished game that they purchased. This happens.

From the developers side, of course, there's the chance for a lot of negative hype due to the Beta nature of the game if it isn't at a state where the ideas can shine forth.

I'm of mixed thoughts on this. I've seen a lot of people get burned by it. Sometimes it is their fault and other times it isn't. With the developer blatantly advertising something that doesn't exist and likely never will exist, but promising that it will exist in the future. In extreme cases, Steam will actually offer refunds. But generally only in extreme cases. Otherwise, it's buyer beware. Only here it's buyer beware with an unfinished product with promised features you just have to cross your fingers and hope the developer delivers on.

For the storefront owner, it's a perilous edge to walk. If you issue refunds, you're losing money (likeliness of getting that money back from the developer is slim to none) but if you don't you risk alienating your customer base.

Also it should be noted that there is one prominent BETA being sold on PS4. Warframe. But that isn't much of a risk as it was already a well polished and proven game on the PC. Although right now we're seeing a lot of backlash in the latest PC version of the game which has done some radical rebalancing of weapons (remember, it's still in BETA). Weapons that people have invested a LOT of time and in some cases money into.

Regards,
SB

The game in the works for about 4 months. Some new video is promised to be shown next week. Main character's name is Senua.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not directly related to the subject but... The never greenlit Razer by NT http://www.hellblade.com/?p=17227

Nice find. A good illustration of how much work can go into pre-production and even when it is designed with cooperation from a publisher, may not get picked up for publishing.

This goes more in depth.

http://www.hellblade.com/?p=16972

And this is a nice slide from the above page showing how many developers (AAA and otherwise) have been either forcibly closed (including Sony and Microsoft first party developers) or just could no longer remain in operation.

http://www.hellblade.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Slide16.jpg

Being profitable making games isn't easy...

Hopefully, this sort of AAA + Indie mix that going only Digital Distribution allows will enable more developers to survive and hopefully thrive. Good luck to Ninja Theory!

Regards,
SB

More to add to that casualty list since 2012, but also a load of developers starting up. I believe there are more devs than ever before, simply because the talent pool is spread among smaller studios.

More to add to that casualty list since 2012, but also a load of developers starting up. I believe there are more devs than ever before, simply because the talent pool is spread among smaller studios.

Yes, I'm hoping this will allow for more "AAA" Indies that have AAA quality if not the scope normally associated with a AAA title. Basically remove the need for a publisher by removing the need for physical distribution and need to have checkbox elements.

Regards,
SB

Nice retrospective by Tameem. Hopefully they will find success with these new projects, and FINALLY manage to make a sequel for any game. :D

Loved dev diaries since I first came across them in ZZap!64 from Commodore 64 coders. Andrew Braybrook (Uridium, Paradroid, Morpheus) FTW!

Yes, I'm hoping this will allow for more "AAA" Indies that have AAA quality if not the scope normally associated with a AAA title. Basically remove the need for a publisher by removing the need for physical distribution and need to have checkbox elements.

Regards,
SB

That's the beauty of it, there isn't a need to follow any publisher that would put crazy demands on developers' games. Project CARS and The Witcher 3 are "AAA indies" getting physical releases, and I'm glad as I prefer to buy games that way. It's just funding game development isn't tied to publishers, and puts them in a position they haven't been in for a long time: The "only for distribution and marketing" position.

Publishers still provide a valuable service for things like marketing (DD is crowded too), physical distribution, and possibly extra man-power for bringing (and maintaining) a game on multiple platforms. They're still helpful, but not as much as of a necessary evil to make a game in the first place.

I remember Ninja Theory saying they were looking into physical distribution, so they must be looking into some kind of publisher deal that doesn't impact the game's scope creatively and financially.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope this'll need to more of the kinda stuff that was pretty much everywhere on the PS2: batshit crazy games with a razor sharp focus. Games which needn't be concerned with ticking boxes because servicing the masses isn't needed for turning a profit. To hell with the pointless bloat.

Here's a cool vid

It's definitely interesting for me now that I know the most basic basics of UE4 to see them working with the same tools.

Now I have a much better idea of the project, but the video is very spoilerfic at the end. Can take away the WOW moments you will have in the game.
It seems to be a lovely game in the making, but I don't like th ecamera placement at all. its very like The Order, but I just don't like it here, seems very low. Hope it changes over time.

Back