Heavenly Sword on the cover of EDGE

ban25

Veteran
Supporter
Heavenly Sword is on the cover of the June EDGE. There's a feature dedicated to it with some interesting details. Apparently one SPE is dedicated to hair animation for the main character. I'll post more details later.

isnt that excagerating? 1 spe fulltime use for just hair animation of ONLY the main character...? :???:

Maybe she has multiple patches of hair...and um... those need to be animated too....because...um.....since she has only two days left....she might as well....make use of the time...and ah... they are showing that....

....er...nevermind.
:oops:

Performance wise it sure could be possible, only thing to question is if it's worth paying the price... ;)

Lots of hair simulations are done with calculating thin stripes of cloth by the way. Gollum's 15-20 strands used this method for example.

The hair physics were actually pretty poor, clipping everywhere. It's the only thing that stood out to me as sub-par in the entire movie. Well, that and the very repetitive enemy animations.

Alstrong - get your mind out of the gutter!!

And a beautiful cover it is too!

Re. the SPU and hair simulation, the devs note that it though it seems gratuitous, Cell can afford such luxuries. The justification is that her hair is a massive visual mark of Nariko's character, her beauty, her femininity. The devs also talk about how the SPUs have exceeded their expectations when it comes to stuff like this, and procedural animation and geometry. (edit - and yes, the hair had a few clipping problems in the E3 demo, but it was still rather spectacularly animated).

The article has some shots I haven't seen elsewhere, btw. A couple that are labelled explicitly as in-game are truly breathtaking. Absolutely the most beautiful game I've ever seen, and some of these new shots just further reinforce that for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the hair was sweet. No, not perfect, but damn nice. I dont know another game that has hair even remotely close to that. Hell, seems most next gen games are avoiding hair all together and just making the characters bald or with headgear. ;)

joking. lol :p

Bad_Boy said:
I thought the hair was sweet. No, not perfect, but damn nice. I dont know another game that has hair even remotely close to that. Hell, seems most next gen games are avoiding hair all together and just making the characters bald or with headgear. ;)

joking. lol :p

LOL, I didn't notice it until someone said so in another thread. So is it like action movies (think Mission Impossible and Hong Kong productions) where only the hero's/heroine's hair flow elegantly in front of the camera even though there's no wind ?

Her flowing dress is nice too. Did they reveal how many % of each SPU they are using (on the average).

RavenFox said:
November where are you? :(
Someone build a timemachine quick.
HS wont be there in november, but if you want to talk time machines, I wouldnt mind going into the future for some mgs4 action. ;)

scooby: :oops:

RavenFox said:
November where are you? :(
Someone build a timemachine quick.

Double-click the clock on the start menu....... ;)

So yeah... I guess if the SPE is also taking care of clipping, that would be pretty awesome.

patsu said:
LOL, I didn't notice it until someone said so in another thread. So is it like action movies (think Mission Impossible and Hong Kong productions) where only the hero's/heroine's hair flow elegantly in front of the camera even though there's no wind ?

Her flowing dress is nice too. Did they reveal how many % of each SPU they are using (on the average).

I asked Dean specifically about this on the floor - and maybe he'll pop in with further clarification at some point - but the percentage useage of the SPE's fluctuates based on what's going on. Ok now that's probably pretty obvious, but essentially there's no fixed bounds as to what gets done on which SPE and what percentage of the power it uses. Sound gets it's own SPE, but it's sort of by default the way he explained it to me, rather than a hard partitioning. Same thing for the hair probably.

FYI, every time I could speak to a PS3 dev I did, and they all basically said that they were using all seven SPE's, but that the surface was only being scratched as to their potential.

Spe

xbdestroya said:
I asked Dean specifically about this on the floor - and maybe he'll pop in with further clarification at some point - but the percentage useage of the SPE's fluctuates based on what's going on. Ok now that's probably pretty obvious, but essentially there's no fixed bounds as to what gets done on which SPE and what percentage of the power it uses. Sound gets it's own SPE, but it's sort of by default the way he explained it to me, rather than a hard partitioning. Same thing for the hair probably.

FYI, every time I could speak to a PS3 dev I did, and they all basically said that they were using all seven SPE's, but that the surface was only being scratched as to their potential.

This is one way to use SPE is to have any available SPE for any available task. I wonder what is current utilization rate for SPE. Maybe there is bursts and all SPE is active then they all are idle at the same time.

ihamoitc2005 said:
This is one way to use SPE is to have any available SPE for any available task. I wonder what is current utilization rate for SPE. Maybe there is bursts and all SPE is active then they all are idle at the same time.

Well I don't want to speak for these guys any more than I already have; he did reindicate that for all intents and purposes, one full SPE would be going towards sound for example. I mean in terms of utilization, the feeling I get is that the rates are high - but the code isn't all that optimized and the efficiency is probably still very low.

So low-efficiency, high utilization, depending on what's going on. That's my present 'composite' of the situation in any event...

All these guys agree though that the future potential of Cell is quite high, and that they're just getting started.

scooby_dooby said:
The hair physics were actually pretty poor, clipping everywhere. It's the only thing that stood out to me as sub-par in the entire movie. Well, that and the very repetitive enemy animations.
I didn't notice it TOO much, but then action is fast and furious and you're stepped out from Nariko a few levels. It drives me nuts in DoA4. :???:

That's the one bad thing about getting good cloth/hair physics now: the incompleteness becomes a lot more obvious. I wonder how insane clip-prevention gets...

Ok. I wanted to post this long note in another thread but decided to do it here instead.

Now that there are some evidences...

It seems to me that it is not difficult to find some uses for all the SPEs since there are enough problems to go around (All sorts of physics, AI, I/O pre-, post-processing, procedural stuff, ...). But, eventually it will be harder and harder to parallelize the code base unless the entire game engine is designed from the ground up for it (Actually, I am not sure whether the main loop needs to be parallelize at all, probably not ?).

This is one of the reasons I felt we will be able to see some differences even in early games. Not to mention every game will spend their resources differently, so it's natural that the outcome is unique. Heavenly Sword = where people have hair (1 SPU full of hair ;) ). Then towards the end of the console lifecycle, only the best can show even more amazing results.

When I did parallel programming many many years ago, a given problem always has some gotchas (i.e., not embarrasingly parallelizable, need to share global states). However these are usually not show stoppers. What it means is just that you don't get linear speed up. In rare cases, you get slow down. In which case, you just serialize the code (with some new twist ;) ). At that time, the difficult part of parallel programming was mostly its newness/uncertainty: Sometimes it's hard to know its performance in real-life (say beyond 64 processors). Then you have to go back to the drawing board (or enhance existing code further). I think some of the PS3 devs have gone through this stage already.

There are a few basic models starting with the simplest:

+ Serialize the code in 1 SPU, with each SPU handling different or even independent things (statically). I remember one of the NT devs mentioned that a SPU can run faster than a PPU if done correctly. I believe the speed up comes from SIMD (if used), NUMA due to "high-speed" local memory, async request-response and its simplicity. What happens if the data structure is larger than 256K ? It may not matter in some situations. Even if it does, you can usually tweak the code and pre-fetch to hide the latency (Parallel programming often involve these fine-tuning). In the same optimizing exercise, you can throw in branch hints and OOE stuff. I believe Xenon programmers will need to go through similar exercises but they don't have to handle NUMA (and hence they don't get its benefits but may be they can play with the L2 cache). Other common tricks if you have enough free processors and memory include pre-calculations, approximation (the longer it runs, the more accurate it is), reorganizing the code base to collapse multiple/different "passes" into 1, ...

+ Next up the difficulty is data partitioning (only suitable for some problems). In this case, we allocate > 1 SPUs to tackle different segments in a shared memory space. This is highly subjected to the data structue and is vulnerable to skewed run-time behaviour (e.g., many polygons/activities in one area only). Sometimes, boundary results are estimated/recalculated to avoid communication overhead. Since there are many other problems to solve, a developer may choose to use the second SPU on another problem rather than making 2 work together on a fixed problem for twice the speed up.

+ Third would be dynamic allocation of tasks (like job queue) where each SPU gets its next task from a job manager/queue. I think NT is using this approach because at one point, Dean was writing a simple kernel for the SPUs (probably to load different SPUlets depending on the type of work). The advantage is that each SPU can use different strategy for each task. Your latest comment would click with this idea because the SPUs are preloaded with a default task, but there is no bound because the SPU can get additional work order from someone (PPU ?) to do something else.

+ Fourth would be highly specialized set up (e.g., stream processing). In some occassions, if the problem is big enough, we will dedicate esoteric setup to flow the data through the processor grid. This is probably the "signature model" for Cell but I think it's rare in gaming. The terrain demo is one of this examples.

For Xenon, it's not much different from above but you don't have to bother with writing a SPU kernel (for the third approach) and scheduling DMA requests. You also don't have to worry about processor boundary and tool chain (as John Carmack mentioned) so everything sits cleanly in 1 logical space. But you only get 3 "PPUs" (vs 7 SPUs + 1 PPU).

I'm probably over-simplifying but this would be the framework I used to understand and evaluate Cell programming. Any devs feel free to tell me where I go wrong. It's just a discussion.

EDIT: I forgot to highlight Xenon's key advantage. Because Xenon's 3 cores are identical, it makes them seamless (Share and reallocate work freely, cheaply and dynamically). This is a deciding advantage over PS3's SPU-PPU arrangement. Because of the added SPUlet scheduling/allocation overhead, it can be more difficult to parallelize a game engine in PS3 to achieve the same speed up.

cthellis42 said:
I didn't notice it TOO much, but then action is fast and furious and you're stepped out from Nariko a few levels. It drives me nuts in DoA4. :???:

That's the one bad thing about getting good cloth/hair physics now: the incompleteness becomes a lot more obvious. I wonder how insane clip-prevention gets...

I didn't notice it till I watched a HD clip from the showfloor, had the hair going right through the swords, basically clipping through everything.

It's a demo though, so it's a work in progress. I'm sure they'll have it much better by launch in 07.

Back