Heavenly Sword on the cover of EDGE

I read the article and the nariko's hair use the power of 1 spe . Tameen says that a member of the team ask "why use half power of the cell for nariko's hair?". Because it's an important part of the game.

It's sarcastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
chris1515 said:
I read the article and the nariko's hair use 50% of the power of 1 spe . Tameen says that a member of the team ask "why use half power of a spe for nariko's hair?".

Please finish your quote.

"The hair' really important part of her character, it's what makes her beautiful, and feminime, and striking"

xbdestroya said:
FYI, every time I could speak to a PS3 dev I did, and they all basically said that they were using all seven SPE's, but that the surface was only being scratched as to their potential.

Shouldn't that be six? With one for the OS. Or didn't I get the memo?

chris1515 said:
I read the article and the nariko's hair use 50% of the power of 1 spe . Tameen says that a member of the team ask "why use half power of a spe for nariko's hair?".

It was "half the power of Cell", it was an exaggerated sarcastic reference to how much power they were spending on the hair (i.e. they're not REALLY using half the power of Cell on her hair, just 1 SPE, but it might have felt like that for some of the programmers ;)).

Titanio said:
It was "half the power of Cell", it was an exaggerated sarcastic reference to how much power they were spending on the hair (i.e. they're not REALLY using half the power of Cell on her hair, just 1 SPE, but it might have felt like that for some of the programmers ;)).

Yes I read the article, it is 1 SPE.

chris1515 said:
Yes I read the article, it is 1 SPE.

Okay seriously are they really spending one SPE worth of processing on just the hair? Or is it really like 50% of what one SPE can do? It's hard to believe that out of everything that this game is displaying that one full SPE would be spent on just the hair.:???:

Perhaps that's one of the easiest things to parallelize at the moment. There are 7 (6?) SPEs of which to make use and there is still a lot of time left to figure out if there are more parallizable tasks than there are SPEs (that would also not be detrimental to performance).

pipo said:
Shouldn't that be six? With one for the OS. Or didn't I get the memo?

Well you're right, let me amend to 'all' the SPEs. Not that they didn't confirm all seven at times as well, but like me I think they just got lost in the moment. Relax man, no one's trying to pull a fast one on you. :)

Quote from ninja theory forum, a spe is dedicated to procedural systems hair but also clothes...

Ninja Mikey
[NT-DEV] Chief Technology Ninja

Yeah there's a few glitches in there... but these are the sort of things that get polished out as we go through development. Rember though... if you don't see _any_ glitches, you are probably watching a render All games have intersections of some sort.

There are certainly a lot of things that we can do to improve the hair, especially adding some more links to it... Most people seem to like it already, besides I don't see any other game that handles multiple strand long hair like our system.

We have a single SPU dedicated to procedural systems. Primarily this is the hair but it also includes the cloth systems as well. So the hair isn't using all the power of a single SPU, apologies if the article came off that way. We're only just scratching the surface of what we can do here so I'm sure it will only get better....

xbdestroya said:
Well you're right, let me amend to 'all' the SPEs. Not that they didn't confirm all seven at times as well, but like me I think they just got lost in the moment.

It depends who's talking of course. A technical guy claiming seven could mean something after all...

And I'm fine thanks. ;)

chris1515 said:
Quote from ninja theory forum, a spe is dedicated to procedural systems hair but also clothes...

Hmm. This is interesting. If they can pull that off with one SPU it makes me wonder what they can do in a couple of years.

Back