Heartbreak for Schumi

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
His engine blew up today and trophy landed in Alonso's lap. Looks like Schumi and Ferrari have lost it with only 1 race to go...but who knows, stranger things have happened.

His engine blew up today and trophy landed in Alonso's lap. Looks like Schumi and Ferrari have lost it with only 1 race to go...but who knows, stranger things have happened.

If Alonso gets no points in Brazil, and Schumacher wins, then Schumacher will be world champion. It up to Alonso to lose though, Schumacher can't win it just on a good performance, he needs Alonso to fail. Fat lady singing and all that.

Watching the Spyker disintergrate and chuck it's driveshaft through the back half of the car was impressive.

Have Masa qualify in front of Alonso, and then break check him in the first corner causing a major pileup. Schumi drives off for an easy win and Alonso is out of the race, Schumi wins the championship.

If they were still tied in points I bet Schumi would do it himself, as he did to Damon Hill once apon a time.

Well he could still win if he coes first and Alonso doesn't finish the race.... u know... something might just happen to his engine, accidentally... Like something happened accidentally to Shumi's engine for the first time in about 6 years. That's how long ago it was since the last engine failure in a Ferrari... strange timing... not that i'm taking sides of course!

;)

Watching the Spyker disintergrate and chuck it's driveshaft through the back half of the car was impressive.
Anyone got a video link of that? :D

I guess I shouldn't like Schumacher, he seems a bit of an asshole really (and perhaps a recklessly dangerous one at that), but it would be kind of sad really to have him retire having lost the championship in the 2nd to last race...

Anyone got a video link of that? :D

I guess I shouldn't like Schumacher, he seems a bit of an asshole really (and perhaps a recklessly dangerous one at that), but it would be kind of sad really to have him retire having lost the championship in the 2nd to last race...

Well, Alonso lost his lead of 10 points last race when his engine blew and Schumacher won, so it's really just the same thing happened to Schumacher this race as happened to Alonso last race - a rare engine failure because they are both pushing hard to win. Even Ross Brawn said they run their engines closer to the limit towards the end of the season, and this was one of those occasions where they were running hot and fast, came into a pit stop (where the cars overheat), and then went straight out into a failure half a lap later. Just one of those racing things.

For the Spyker breakdown, here's the short version for the bandwidth impared, and the longer version.

I've been a fan of Schumacher since he was with Benetton. Personality aside he is one of the most talented drivers I have ever seen. 2 championships with the unquestionably inferior Benetton, and then a 3rd with an inferior Ferarri put him in the top of my book long before he started putting his own name in the record books.

There are far bigger jerks in F1, and far more dangerous drivers as well. Look at Alonso and the way he's behaved after China.

Next year will be a sad time for me with Schumi gone. None of the other drivers have the personality of Schumacher, and none have the raw talent....

Except for maybe Kubica. That kid can drive! Give him another year or two to get the experience and maturity in F1, put him in one of the top cars, and he could be one fantastic driver. Only downside is he has the personality of mold.

I've been a fan of Schumacher since he was with Benetton. Personality aside he is one of the most talented drivers I have ever seen. 2 championships with the unquestionably inferior Benetton, and then a 3rd with an inferior Ferarri put him in the top of my book long before he started putting his own name in the record books.

Next year will be a sad time for me with Schumi gone. None of the other drivers have the personality of Schumacher, and none have the raw talent....

Except for maybe Kubica. That kid can drive! Give him another year or two to get the experience and maturity in F1, put him in one of the top cars, and he could be one fantastic driver. Only downside is he has the personality of mold.

I don't know about that 3rd championship... Hakkinen might have had a faster car, but it wasn't as reliable, thus it's very hard to say whether it Schumi had inferior car...

I'd put Alonso and Raikkonen in the same league as Schumi is right know. Raikkonen might lack in the personality front, or atleast his not very media friendly person, but his REIGN will start next year and nodoby is going to be there to stop him, not Alonso, and most certainly not Kubica. Raikkonen only needs a car that is competitive and doesn't brake down and the rest is done!

edit: Hakkinen was on par with Schumacher too. Lot's of nice races back then.

I don't know about that 3rd championship... Hakkinen might have had a faster car, but it wasn't as reliable, thus it's very hard to say whether it Schumi had inferior car...

Hakkinen was never the driver that Schumacher was and is. He gave a good chase when he had the better car. Yes, it had reliability problems, but when it ran it was unquestionably better than the Ferrari.

I'd put Alonso and Raikkonen in the same league as Schumi is right know. Raikkonen might lack in the personality front, or atleast his not very media friendly person, but his REIGN will start next year and nodoby is going to be there to stop him, not Alonso, and most certainly not Kubica. Raikkonen only needs a car that is competitive and doesn't brake down and the rest is done!

I wouldn't put either of them in the same class as Schumi. If you had put either one in the Ferrari at the start of this season then neither one would have had a chance to win the championship.

Alonso is only where he is at now because the Renault was so dominant at the first half of the year and Ferrari had so many troubles. It certainly wasn't his great driving that put him there. Raikkonen simply makes far too many mistakes. Qualifying seems to be a major problem for him, and he makes some bone-headed decisions in traffic, such as his running into the back of the RST when overtaking it on an otherwise empty track.

Raikkonen will probably win the championship next year, but that will be because there won't be another top driver in a top car to compete against him, not because Kimi is worth a crap.

While I appreciate Schumi's talent, I am glad he's retiring. For me, the years from 2000 up to and including 2004 were some of the darkest years for F1. Ferrari's dominance made the sport very boring to follow.

Go Alonso! I hope McLaren will have a reliable and fast car next year. Also, I hope Räikkonen will do well in Ferrari.

While I appreciate Schumi's talent, I am glad he's retiring. For me, the years from 2000 up to and including 2004 were some of the darkest years for F1. Ferrari's dominance made the sport very boring to follow.

I kinda agree, and i'm a Ferrari fan!! We knew who was gonna win all the time and it was just boring. But i always wondered, whose fault is that? I mean, of course Ferrari would try to win every time, that's what they're there for...
Shouldn't we blame everyone else for not giving them (and Schumi) a challenge? Was it Ferrari+Schumi that made the sport boring, or was it everyone else? Or was it the rules? ;)

Good point, london-boy.

I wonder who will be the highest earning driver next season now that Schumi will retire.

There are far bigger jerks in F1, and far more dangerous drivers as well. Look at Alonso and the way he's behaved after China.

yes, yes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8xD9ug55WQ&eurl

I kinda agree, and i'm a Ferrari fan!! We knew who was gonna win all the time and it was just boring. But i always wondered, whose fault is that? I mean, of course Ferrari would try to win every time, that's what they're there for...
Shouldn't we blame everyone else for not giving them (and Schumi) a challenge? Was it Ferrari+Schumi that made the sport boring, or was it everyone else? Or was it the rules? ;)

Generally I'd say yes, but for a long time Ferrari were getting a disproportionate amount of money from the Concord agreement, and they could use this to increase development, or pay Schumacher $25 million a year. Ecclestone just wanted to make sure that Ferrari was always associated and racing in F1 in order to give the series a kind of prestige. With this extra investment, for many years Ferrari seemed to have the best car right at the start of the season. Since the money-sharing was changed a couple of years back, coincidentally Ferrari have not has the best car from the get-go as previously was the case.

There is no doubt though that if you look back at the last decade, no other team has had so many years where they have had the consistently reliable and fastest car and driver. Schumacher doesn't often make mistakes, and when he does, he can usually recover from them. Their cars have been very reliable. Their pit crews heavily drilled, fast, and rarely making mistakes. Their race strategy often leaving other teams bewildered and in the dust as Ferrari leapfrog other teams by making better stops just as Schumacher puts in the fastest laps at exactly the right time.

Sure other teams and drivers have been able to challenge occasionally, but only recently has any team been able to consistently rival the Ferrari machine. I'm not a big fan of Ferrari or Schumacher. I think they've been getting to many advantages from their name, and I think Schumacher isn't very sportsman-like, but when it comes down to it, they've made the wins and got the championships.

As for the rule changes, I think many of them have been mistakes, made in error by people panicking over talk of how boring F1 has become because of Ferrari's dominance. Too many changes, too fast, not thought out properly. For instance, lowering mechanical grip just put the emphasis on aerodynamics, ensuring it became ever more difficult to overtake the car in front, making the sport ever more boring. Throwing out tyre changes (ensuring that any tyre safety issues were ignored until the last possible minute because of the time hit of having to change tyres), and then putting them back in again. Massively penalising an engine change. Spending massive amounts of money developing new inferior V8 engines in order to "save" money. Continuing to remove classic tracks from the race calendar with cries of "safety" and "updating" while continuing to race at some of the most dangerous tracks purely for money and marketing, while courting new tracks in emerging regions where the money flows more strongly.

Back